Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Rvi Brake - signal

I have a new rvi brake - wondering if anybody has experienced this issue? I have a 45' mh and have tried the original antenna, 2nd antenna and now a new ultrapowerful antenna test antenna from rvi on the Receiver

My receiver in the MH gets no info from the tow. Nothing - I'm not sure if its braking or not Rvi says the distance is a problem to register the activity - I have to assume the rvi break is doing its job but with a 50000 MH and 4500 tow car my MH wins all the time for breaking. If I hit Test on the Receiver nothing happens.

I'll be going back to rvi again to see if there is some sort of way to hard wire this in with perhaps a receiver in the rear of the coach and run a hard wire to the front
I've also tried to plug in the receivor in a 12v outlet mid coach and same thing.

Anyone else have this issue?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 36 ft. dp and was having problems similar to yours. I also got a second antenna that draped over the rear view mirror from RVI and got the same results. I took my receiver out of the 12 volt outlet which was in the center of my dash and using a 12 volt extension cord just set it on the dash next to the driver's window and all has been working fine since. Makes me wonder if the signal just can't get through the engine, bed, closet, bathroom, etc.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My signal was intermittent at the start so I got the additional antenna for the Toad. That helped a bunch but it still looses the signal once in a while.

Have you tried plugging the remote into the Toad's dash and seeing if it connects? I know the remote can loose it's link and there are instructions to re-link it.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
resynching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
My signal was intermittent at the start so I got the additional antenna for the Toad. That helped a bunch but it still looses the signal once in a while.

Have you tried plugging the remote into the Toad's dash and seeing if it connects? I know the remote can loose it's link and there are instructions to re-link it.
This is a great idea - I'll try it out and let you know the outcome -
Old 04-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Are you using the original RVI brake system or the new version- RVIbrake2? I had the same communication problem but not very often so I did not address it. I did just sent my original back for the upgrade program they have going on now.
Dennit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #6

Mine is intermittent also. I put the antenna wire under the toad windshield wiper which helped a little.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennit View Post
Are you using the original RVI brake system or the new version- RVIbrake2? I had the same communication problem but not very often so I did not address it. I did just sent my original back for the upgrade program they have going on now.
i didnt know there were two versions - i just got my system a few months ago so I'd assume its the latest version. I'll check -
Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I just got my updated one in today, the new version is black. Both the brake unit and dash controller are a bit smaller.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
rvi2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennit View Post
I just got my updated one in today, the new version is black. Both the brake unit and dash controller are a bit smaller.
I called rvi brake and spoke Jarret today - Quite helpful. We're going to walk through the resynchonizing process Friday - will advise if that works. Will put the brake and sensor next to each other and test 'em out as suggested earlier.

He told me the biggest difference on the rvi2 is it will be able to monitor the tow vehicle tire pressure. the sensors for tow vehicle will be available shortly. They are a bit smaller as well and black. Color doesnt make a difference to me but the smaller size of the receiver is because it takes up a lot of geography over my dual 12 volt outlets on the dash. There's a $100 upgrade cost for the 2nd version. Sensors are in addition.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You also start a new 3 year warranty.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
i tested the RVi brake with the receiver plugged into my toad 12 volt outlet and it all works fine - they are synchronized fine.

Test braking operated fine and i changed the settings with the receiver unit and the rvi braking unit complied. So now have to see what other options there are for me (if any). Perhaps a signal repeater or the like -
Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
RVI Brake Communication

Like many have posted, I have had problems with lost communication with the toad. RVI Brake sent me the antenna to drape over the rear view mirror. Actually I drape it over the driver side sun visor. The communication problem persisted. I obtained another of the antenna's with the long wire connection and attached it to the receiver in the mh and hung it next to the driver side window. So far, I have had constant communication. Possibly, I have solved my lost communication problem.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #13

Just returned my RVI Brake 2 to the company for a loose antenna connection on the main unit. Dan Decker was exceptional in emailing me a UPS sticker for the return. He told me that while the connector is heavily soldiered, they have had some come loose causing intermittent communication problems. The newer units have their connections soldiered then epoxied. I noticed when I first got my unit that once in awhile it would loose communication for instant. I just thought the antenna had fallen down or something. One time I went to connect the antenna and the connector was loose, wiggling around inside the main unit.

Tags
brake