Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #1

RVi brake system

Has anyone had any kind of trouble with this brand of braking system? Particularly with it not releasing the brakes on your toad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Miller View Post
Has anyone had any kind of trouble with this brand of braking system? Particularly with it not releasing the brakes on your toad.
Nope. Bought my RVi just about a year ago, when I bought our coach, and haven't had a lick of trouble. I haven't even heard of any non-release issues. We've now towed our Element about 6500 miles without incident or concern. Usually I don't even feel the toad, but every now and then I've had occasion to know that the brakes were being applied, so I know its working.

Ours is the original RVi, not the RVi2 (with integral TPMS) that is being sold now. You only have to go through a simple set-up once to set your personal vehicle data, and after that its a matter of about a minute to cycle the transmission (per your manufacturer's policy), and about 20 seconds to plug in and set the RVi. Couldn't be simpler.

I'd recommend it, and I'd buy it again.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ditto JFXG !! Had ours for over a year now and couldn't be happier. Sometimes you loose the communications between the coach and the toad for a couple of seconds, but according to RVi this is not a concern as the unit is continuing to function. I pull a Jeep Liberty now, but if I trade I can take the system with me.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

I have the RVi Brake and have not had any problems. I spoke to RVi before purchase and asked that same question and was told that the brake auto releases after a few seconds (sorry canít remember exactly). The important thing is to have a dead pedal which is why the unit will pump the brake a few times during set up. If you donít have a dead pedal you could possibly not get a full release after breaking but that would be with any unit not just the RVi.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #5

Thanks for your input!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

RVI Brake trouble

I have had some issues with the unit I bought - but based on the service I received from the owner, I couldn't recommend them any higher. We bought our RVI brake a year ago and had a couple short trips where it worked as advertised. On a trip to Illinois from New Mexico, at the end of the first day, I noticed the unit was running and when I opened the car and felt the brake it was extremely hot. I called the company the next morning to inquire and was told that they had discovered a number of units with a faulty seal. Here is where the incredible part - starts. First, I had purchased one of the last original RVI units and was told that they would rather upgrade me than repair the old unit. That was great news but then they again surprised me by asking what Camp Ground we were at and that they would FedEx it there - overnight! We have used the new RVI 2 with great success and a nice feature of the new unit is you can add tire pressure sensors! Great design - better folks!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTInMyDreams View Post
.... The important thing is to have a dead pedal which is why the unit will pump the brake a few times during set up. If you donít have a dead pedal you could possibly not get a full release after breaking but that would be with any unit not just the RVi.
Exactly right. After cycling your transmission, you shut the engine off but leave the key on. Only then do you activate the RVi, and it automatically hits 5 cycles of max braking as part of its normal set. This bleeds off any residual vacuum from the brake system, ensuring that the RVi operating shaft has free reign.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #8

Top Notch Customer Service

We tow a 2008 Jeep Liberty behind our '98 DutchStar Fred. Haven't had a lick of trouble since I got it set up. Being new to MH and such, I was not too confident with even driving the MH, let alone towing my Jeep.

I had a problem setting it up the first time, so I called them and they walked me through step-by-step to get it right.

As it turned out, one of my MH disc brakes was malfunctioning on two trips. With the RVI-2, I never even noticed the problem.

As stated above, it only takes about 30 seconds to hook it up and get going.

I highly recommend this system.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have had the unit show brakeing for a few seconds after I let off of the brakes. I spoke to RVI about it and they said that it was working correctly but losing communication with the unit and the monitor was still showing the last communication. I do not know that I agree with that because I have had it lose communication before was one of my few complaints. When the unit loses communication it says lost communication. I think that the RV1. unit was applying brakes a little too long. The fact that we had to replace the front brakes on our care after 22,000 miles kind of makes me suspicious also. I like the unit and the company but they are replacing the old unit with a new one for 100.00 for the RV2 and including a new 3 year warranty on it. That is a good price maybe for a unit that cost 1300.00 new too good a price. I suspect that there are some problem RV1 units out there and the company has fixed them and are trying to get all of the old ones out of service as fast as they can before they get involved in a class action suit. I do not know that is the case and like I said they are good to work with but the trade in price is really really cheap and when I sent my old one in the new got here almost before I had time to wonder when I was going to get it.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #10

I have the RVi1. I pull an Envoy. After a trip from Grand Junction to Denver I had to replace all four sets of brake pads, wheel cylinders and rotors because they were burned so bad the seals had tuned to ash and boiled out the brake fluid. I called the RVi folks and they asked me if I had gotten in and moved the vehicle after I had done the setup procedure. I had done exactly that when I hooked up the car before leaving Grand Junction. It was totally user error. I had inadvertently readjusted the unit and it was pushing lightly on the peddle. The RVi guys asked me how much the repairs cost and sent me a check to pay for the repairs within two days. I haven't had a problem since. Apparently, I wasn't the first to make that mistake.
tomk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have had an RVi1 for about a year. No problems other than the annoying lost communications issue. I am waiting on my upgrade to the RVi2 which should be here any day.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Let me point out that my previous post is my personal speculation. I have never had a problem dealing with the people that make the RVi system. I just wonder when I see an upgrade that is very cheap why the company that makes it have it that cheap.

The Poster that had the communication proglem. When I spoke to RVi they told me that sometimes the antenna with the unit was not long enough to reach the monitor easily they have a T antenna that hangs from your mirror. They offered to send me one for my unit free. I was upgrading to the RVi2 when I called so i just opted to wait. The RVi2 came with the T antenna in the box
Old 07-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk52 View Post
.....they asked me if I had gotten in and moved the vehicle after I had done the setup procedure....
I'm not sure if I read this somewhere in the documentation, or just fell into the habit by dumb luck, but connecting and setting the RVi is the last mechanical action I take before departure-- after the tow bar is connected. The only function to follow is our cellphone based light check, then its brake release.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk52 View Post
I have the RVi1. I pull an Envoy. After a trip from Grand Junction to Denver I had to replace all four sets of brake pads, wheel cylinders and rotors because they were burned so bad the seals had tuned to ash and boiled out the brake fluid. I called the RVi folks and they asked me if I had gotten in and moved the vehicle after I had done the setup procedure. I had done exactly that when I hooked up the car before leaving Grand Junction. It was totally user error. I had inadvertently readjusted the unit and it was pushing lightly on the peddle. The RVi guys asked me how much the repairs cost and sent me a check to pay for the repairs within two days. I haven't had a problem since. Apparently, I wasn't the first to make that mistake.
Are you saying the brakes on your toad were totally fried because of YOUR mistake, and yet the "RVi guys" paid for the repairs????

If so, that is a remarkable action for a company to take these days. Usually companies are looking for any excuse to deny a claim, at least that's been my experience.

Tags
brake