Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rvi or Brake Buddy power while towing

I have a 2013 Jeep Rubicon and use a Rvi to provide braking while towing. When the ignition is off I have not power to the power points. How do I power the Rvi while towing? Any solutions to this issue. I am assuming if I leave thekeyin the ignition and power point on itwilleventually run the battery down...
Alwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

I have a Blue Ox braking system I use in my Dakota. The owners manual says to disconnect the ground wire at the battery while towing so I was in the same boat as you with no power inside the cab. I went to Wal Mart and purchased one of those re-chargable portable jump start boxes that also have a 12V plugin on it. I sit it in the drivers seat and I plug the Blue Ox in and am good to go. Once I reach my stop for the night I recharge the jump box so it is ready to go the next morning.

Phil
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Al

I also have an RVI and I Like it. I toe my 2006 jeep liberty.
My cigarette lighter has power when the ignition key is off. I plug in the RVI. I leave the car in neutral. I turn turn key to the first position. The only thing on I'd the odometer. When you close had door that goes off also. No extra miles will show on the car. I don't disconnect any wires. I've towed 15k miles so far like that. Car works great.
I hope that helps.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

Is there any way in ERIC to change the status of the 12V socket? I am awaiting my 2013 Wrangler and think the RVi is the best solution for a brand new rig under warranty. My Sprinter RV has always on 12V and I have come to think this is SOP. Thanks for the heads up that I will be disappointed. Using a emergency starter is certainly a workable solution. Thanks for that tip.

I am wondering about the Mopar wiring harness. I see that it accepts seven pin plugs. I am wondering if that means it will charge the battery from the RV. Need to head to the Dodge dealer and ask some questions. I hope they have answers.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #5

Hi

I tow an 04 Dakota and use a brake buddy. My cigarette /power outlets only had power when the key was in the run position. I got under the dash and ran 2 wires from the battery to the outlet so there is always power, was an easy job,My Dakota manual says nothing about disconnecting a battery cable and I have never done that. I only turn the key to the first click to unlock the steering wheel, no miles go on the truck this way. If I turn the key to the run position the is a bigger power drain and the miles being towed show up.

Dale M
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #6

Hi,

We use a Brake Buddy when we tow our 2005 Saturn Vue. The ign key is set to ACC, and the Ignition fuse is pulled. Under this set up , the battery has never gone down. We've towed as long as 12 hours in a day. I would think you might be able to do the same thing if you can find the right fuse to pull.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Another solution. If you are using a 7 pin cable from the mh to the towd you will have a spare pin to bring over 12v from the MH. I had to bring 12V for my tranny pump on my 2WD jeep. You could easily run that to the RVI. Also keeps do have a 12v power socket somewhere else in the car. Either the front compartment between the seats or the back seats. There is one located in every jeep.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
What is "RVI"? I installed a US Gear Unified Tow Brake system in my 13 Rubicon and it has a hot wire directly to the MH that gives the system power.

There is a plug inside the console on your Jeep that stays hot, regardless of the position of the key so you should be able to connect to it.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #9

I plug the BB into the hot socket in the console of my 12 JK. Have gone 3 days without a battery issue, dont know how long it would go.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinrvers View Post
I have a Blue Ox braking system I use in my Dakota. The owners manual says to disconnect the ground wire at the battery while towing so I was in the same boat as you with no power inside the cab. I went to Wal Mart and purchased one of those re-chargable portable jump start boxes that also have a 12V plugin on it. I sit it in the drivers seat and I plug the Blue Ox in and am good to go. Once I reach my stop for the night I recharge the jump box so it is ready to go the next morning.

Phil
I also use an auxiliary power supply (sold as a jump starter) for our Brake Buddy and it works quite well. I have gone as many as five days travel without recharging, but normally try to recharge every night. Someone on this forum said this was a stupid thing to use as you would never know if the power supply was dead while you were driving. I ignored the comment and have continued to use it. For me, it is a great solution to the problem of excessive battery draw on our CRV.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Hi old dude

RVI is a braking system that required no major installation other then the breakaway switch.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Powering from the Motorhome is a bad idea because in a brake away situation you would have no power to the braking system.

If you have to disconnect the battery before towing, you could always rig an additional fused 12V outlet from the battery (use a battery cutoff switch instead of removing a cable) to somewhere in the dash area.

And finally, if you don't have to disconnect the battery but are afraid of the battery being dead by the time you get there, you could always use a ToadCharge system to tie the car battery into the coach charging system.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a hot-all-the-time outlet inside the console that I use for my RVI unit. Look at your Jeep owners manual and if it's not in the console then maybe somewhere else.

From my Owners Manual:

"ELECTRICAL POWER OUTLETS
Your vehicle is equipped with 12 Volt (13 Amp) power
outlets that can be used to power cellular phones, small
electronics and other low powered electrical accessories.
The power outlets are marked as either a “key” or a
“battery” symbol to indicate how the outlet is powered.
Power outlets labeled with a “key” are powered when
the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position, while
the outlets marked with a “battery” are connected directly
to the battery and powered at all times."
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dennis, thanks! I found my "hot" outlet to power my Rvi brake controller. Simple once put to the forum!
Alwho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, power, towing