Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

RVI2 Breakaway

While driving back from Florida, our in Coach monitor for the RVI2 System gave an alarm and showed Vehicle Breakaway. Saw that Toad was still there and pulled over quickly. Checked breakaway switch on front and it was OK. Opened the door on Toad and System had brakes applied. I also checked to make sure that breakaway plug was engaged in controller in Toad, and it was OK also. I ended up unplugging power and heading back up the road. Has anyone ever had this happen? I don't see any reason why it should have engaged and I'm nervous about using it now. I've sent a message to RVI2 also and hopefully I'll get a response from them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
How did check the front brake away switch? I had that switch fail so it just did not operate. How your tires on the toad? Did you try unscrewing the brake away cable from the RVI2? Glad everything turned out ok. Please let us know when you find out more. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #3

I just did a visual check the breakaway plug was still in engaged. The tires was Ok, just brakes worn. The cable is just a plug that plugs into the RVI2 box and it was fine, so there was nothing to unscrew from the box. The breakaway comes as a sealed component from the factory. When I get home, I'm going to do some checking with my meter on the box functioning. I'm thinking there is something wrong in the small breakaway unit.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #4

I also had the breakaway engage after going over a sizeable bump in the highway. I found that the breakaway cable partially disengaged from the Blue Ox Patriot. Now I secure the cable to the handle on the Patriot and leave a small amount of slack before the plug. I have not had this happen since.

Another side note: The 12v receptacles in my Subaru apparently time out after a couple of hours and leave the brake lacking for power. Currently I have a temporary fused 12v lead with receptacle that I pass from the battery through the driver door to power the brake. So far in two long days of driving (15 and 8 hours) I have not lost power.

Dave.
Dave Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Just for info, you can unplug the breakaway wire from the back of the RVI2 and the system will still work. It will just not have breakaway braking. You could have a short in the breakaway switch, or somewhere in the wiring. If I understand it correctly, the breakaway switch is just a normally open switch that closes when the plug is pulled out.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:38 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler5860 View Post
I just did a visual check the breakaway plug was still in engaged. The tires was Ok, just brakes worn. The cable is just a plug that plugs into the RVI2 box and it was fine, so there was nothing to unscrew from the box. The breakaway comes as a sealed component from the factory. When I get home, I'm going to do some checking with my meter on the box functioning. I'm thinking there is something wrong in the small breakaway unit.
Your correct I got mixed up, the screw in conector is for a antenna. The small plug is for the brake away. The break away is just a switch, when the plug is in place the internal contact are held apart. Pull the plug the internal contact come together and close an electrical circuit. By pulling the small plug you should be able to use the RVI2 but without a break away function.

I just went to my car to verify. With the plug inplace on the break away box and my meter set to measure resistance at the small black plug that goes into the RVI2, I measured an open circuit. Removing the plug from the break away box resulted in an closed circuit.

By the way brake switches are like 10 bucks at autozone.