Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Wrangler lighter is switched with the ignition, so I have one these coming and will attach direct to the battery and keep it tucked up under the dash with the breakaway wire when not using the RVi.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 04:22 AM   #16

I have used the RVI2 unit in both a Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee. After a 9 hour run from Baltimore to South Carolina, the Jeep started great. No problems what so ever. As far as the electrical load on the outlet, you are powering a little air compressor. It fills the reservoir/tank and cuts off. If you are out on a main highway cruising, the RVI2 consumes no power or very little. From my experience, the unit has enough air reserve for 2 or 3 braking applications, before the compressor starts up to fill her up again. The compressor will always draw the same load, because it's always doing the same function. Electric brake controllers will draw gating amounts of power based on the braking level.

You can try it out and see what it does for yourself. Take a jump box or jumper cables with you, just in case. If your results are different from mine, install the charge line from the motorhome. I ran the charge line on the motorhome but never hooked it up. I also installed the RIV Battery charger in both cars I have towed, and never used it.... yet

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:59 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
From my experience, the unit has enough air reserve for 2 or 3 braking applications, before the compressor starts up to fill her up again.
I'm curious, how long does the compressor initially take to pressurize the tank? I trying to figure out how fast you get braking back after some heavy braking.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post

For those of you using the RVI 2 in a jeep, have you had any trouble with the battery being dead after a long day driving?
This is really a moot point because anyone towing a car should have a charge line as part of their umbilical hookup from the coach to the towed vehicle. For those that don't well then they usually have to remember to start the vehicle every so often providing that they didn't run the battery too far down.

My 7-way connection on the back of my coach has a charge line which keeps the battery fully charged in my cargo trailer which is used for lights inside the trailer, cameras on the inside/outside of the trailer and for the breakaway switch for the electric brakes.

Easy to install a charge line; 12 gauge wire from a coach chassis battery terminal to a self-resetting 20 amp CB mounted on the coach followed by a 12 gauge wire to the coach trailer receptacle. A 12 gauge wire going to the positive terminal of your car battery followed with a 20 amp self-resetting CB and a wire going to the trailer receptacle on your car.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
For those of you using the RVI 2 in a jeep, have you had any trouble with the battery being dead after a long day driving?
Thanks for all the great replies. This forum is a great resource.
Rick
Rick;
I've towed mine for two days in a row without starting the engine and have not had the battery run down. Even after two days, the battery didn't seem to be depleted at all. The compressor doesn't run very long at a time and it takes a few brake applications before it runs.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks.
I would like to hear from the Wrangler users if the Jeep 12 volt plug can handle the RVI 2 current draw, or did you install the RVI direct battery power supply?
Thanks again for all the great advice.
Rick
No extra outlet or direct battery connection was required. My '12 Wrangler has a non-switched 12v outlet inside the console. I added an accessory outlet on the outside of the console so I didn't have to run the wire inside, plus the cord is almost too short to reach inside. There have been no problems with overloading the circuit in 10,000 miles of towing.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
I'm curious, how long does the compressor initially take to pressurize the tank? I trying to figure out how fast you get braking back after some heavy braking.
The compressor runs maybe 6-10 seconds to recharge, but you get several brakings before it has to run.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #22

In my case, I ran a #10 wire front to back. I have the 20 amp resetting breaker and all the connectors needed. The Grand Cherokee is completely set up for it, from the 6-way plug to the battery charger. But I never got a chance to finish in installation (battery connection and 7-way connection) due to back surgery, and quite honestly, after a few trips, I wonder if it's really needed. I will probably finish the install later this Summer. The really hard part is done. I also need to decide if I want a direct battery connection, or use a switched power source.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #23

If you think about it, if you are out on the highway cruising, the power draw of the RVI brake unit is nothing. And if you get into stop and go traffic, you probably won't be stopping hard enough to activate the brake unit anyway.

As far as a 6-way plug being mandatory, I know quite a few who just use the 4-way flat plug. I went with the 6-way just to hedge my bets when setting things up.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:57 AM   #24
WDW

We like our RVI2 - but would add, add the investment of buying the storage case.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is there any concern the RVi2 has to work extra hard to overcome the power brakes? vs the SMI that maintains vacuum on the power brakes?

I tested my jeep the other day by killing the engine and pumping down the pedal and then tried to stop at a stop sign. It takes a LOT of effort. They must generate a lot of power in that piston.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #26
RnG

WDW: when I ordered the RVI2 back in March, I was able to add the carrying case for free, the option may be still available on the RVI site. I agree that this is great to have to store the unit.

Atom Ant: on my first test installation I tested the RVI2 at a slow Coach speed (approx 5 MPH), I pushed the brake button on the wireless remote and could feel the Wrangle breaking against the Coach. I can't feel the Wrangler braking in normal operation, I know when it does because the wireless remote shows when braking occurs (which by the way is not that often at the setting I use).
RnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Ron!
Old 06-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #28
WDW

We do a very low speed rolling test each day using the remote to apply the brakes.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox