Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

RVI2 or Blue Ox Patriot

I would appreciate any feedback on the two systems above in the subject box. I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler and need to reach a decision on one or the other. The RVI system does not use the seat for leverage, but the floor board recess. The jeep floor board is somewhat shallow, and I can not imagine the lip is high enough to firmly hold the RVI box from moving when it actuates. However, I like the streamline design of the RVI better than the Patriot. I have ruled out permanent solutions as there are not any installers near us who have installed many of the permanent versions, such as SMI products, etc.

So, depending upon feedback on the RVI use in Jeeps, I may go with the Blue Ox. Another concern is the ratchet device on the RVI. I have read some owner postings where they set it incorrectly and damaged their brakes.
Thanks for any and all input.

Rick

rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My Rvi2 came with an metal L shaped bar incase the floorboard was not recessed enough. The bar would screw into the floor and the Rvi2 would push against it.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #3

Have the RVI2 system, and love it. Easy set up and removal, trouble free.
When you order one, either on line or via phone, they will ask you what type/make/model of vehicle your installing it in.
If needed, they will supply you, at no charge, a metal bracket that attaches to the front two forward seat mounting bolts. This will give the RVI something to "push" against. Have one in our Subi, works as its supposed too and trouble free.
Well made bracket, fit to each vehicle that needs it...NOT generic.
Just call them up. Very friendly, easy to work with. When you call, your likely as not to be talking to the inventor/owner of RVI.
Grumpy
Old 06-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
RnG

I have the RVI2 in my 2015 Wrangler Unlimited. The floor board recess is not tall but plenty tall enough for the RVI2 box to push against. To me, the RVI2 design looks custom fit for the Wrangler. When properly installing the unit to the brake pedal first before sliding back to the floor lip, you will not have a brake engagement problem (watch the installation video on the RVI website for explanation).

I like the small size, ease of installation, and wireless adjustment capability from the RV drivers seat. The unit has worked flawlessly for me. I set the unit to activate only during harder braking, that way my Jeep brakes are not activated during normal driving and stopping situations. The coach has more than enough braking capability for that (less Jeep brake wear).
RnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:39 PM   #5

Happy with our RVi2 for our Honda Element.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We use the RVi2 with our 2016 Wrangler Unlimited. It is very easy to set up and compact design is easy to store. Was originally looking at the Patriot but scared away by too many reviews/complaints of ruined brakes. RVi2 customer service is great.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We also have the RVI2 for our 2012 Wrangler. It sets just fine in the floor pan with no extra bracket needed. There's not a lot of extra room, but it works well. As for the ratchet bar, the key is not extend it at all when you set up. It will automatically set itself in the proper notch when you push the green button to bleed off the vacuum. The key thing to check is after you push the button three times as instructed, feel of the brake pedal attachment. If it feels easy to move then there is no pressure on the brake pedal. You can also check the brake lights to make sure they are off. As an aside, the customer service from the RVI2 company is excellent. I also looked at the Blue Ox but was concerned with the slow activation of the electric arm in a panic stop situation.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Waiting for my Amazon gift cards to arrive, and I'm going for the RViBrake2!

The whole design seems attractive, and I anticipate replacing our 97 Wrangler next year with a new one so I don't want to go to the trouble or hassle to install an AF1 just to take it out again, especially when I hear such good feedback about the RVi.

The wireless interface inside is also priceless to me. I did not look forward to having to go through lengthy road tests and jumping out to set an SMI product using an LED through the windshield to the coach rear view camera.

I also like that it's a Colorado company like Aqua Hot that is surviving well and hasn't been bought out by Lippert I have talked to them on the phone and they were a ton of help. I had the same question on my TJ, as I have 2 lips on the floor, and he told me exactly how to set it.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #9

Another happy RVI2 customer. It worked well in our 2015 Cherokee Limited, and now the 2016 Grand Cherokee Limited. If you don't feel the seat pan has a high enough lip, they will send you the Stop Bar that you can install on the floor. As others have said, their customer service is excellent.

The ability to activate the Jeeps brakes from the driver's seat of the coach is an added bonus.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #10

For those of you using the RVI 2 in a jeep, have you had any trouble with the battery being dead after a long day driving?
Thanks for all the great replies. This forum is a great resource.

Rick
Old 06-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
For those of you using the RVI 2 in a jeep, have you had any trouble with the battery being dead after a long day driving?

Rick
I personally don't know yet, but will throw in I won't take any chances. It's just too easy to add the battery maintainer from the coach 7 pin to the towed battery, but it does require the 7 - 6 pin connect cable rather than the 7-4 that I currently have. The RVi maintainer is prettier but a little pricier than Roadmaster's. Either work the same.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #12

[QUOTE=rperrym;3127422]For those of you using the RVI 2 in a jeep, have you had any trouble with the battery being dead after a long day driving?

Rick[/QUOTE

It's not just in Jeeps. If your powering your RVI via a 12 volt outlet, everytime you hit the rv brakes, the RVI is also braking, drawing power from the Jeeps battery.
As Ihave done, and others, you need to get the RVI battery maintainer which is powered via the hot lead in the 7 pin plug. This will act as a battery charger and keep the Jeep's battery charged.
Also, if your using the Jeep's 12 volt outlet, it may be "under fused". RVI has a 20 amp outlet available, which is preferred, and has a heavier guage wire. Most veh outlets are either 10 or 15 amps and usually have 18 guage wiring. My thinking is that if the RVI available socket has a 20 amp fuse, then the RVI brake unit must draw some serious power when activated. The regular vehicle 10 or 15 amp fuse may "pop" at the wrong time, and guess what...no brakes.
I have both on my rig, 2 years now, and have had no problems at all.
I know it cost a bit more, but a few bucks now will save you later.
Grumpy
Old 06-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love the RVI brake system used one on my 2012 ford edge and now going to use one for my 2015 ford cmax
Old 06-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #14

Thanks.
I would like to hear from the Wrangler users if the Jeep 12 volt plug can handle the RVI 2 current draw, or did you install the RVI direct battery power supply?

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Rick

Tags
blue ox