Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 07:26 AM   #85

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where to mount RVI hub

I have a Georgetown and similar to knightstorm, I wired a dual 12v outlet into an open slot in my 12v box which is by the bed in the back. It works great and was easy to add.
Savannahdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #86

RVI-3 - Not impressed...

I'll probably not be adding anything new, but I'm not real impressed with the RVI3 system. We are towing a Ford C-Max Hybrid (fairly light) and have had issues with the system since day one. Multiple calls to support have helped, but we're still not there yet. Things we're not happy with:
1. The cheap tablet. Single use (unless you buy their other toys). Poor application design. The idea of having the "test" button in the middle of the status screen is just stupid.

2. The overall setup. We think that all the pieces (the box in the car and the hub) have to be on before we turn the tablet on otherwise we are continually asked to re-sync or whatever it is called when you scan the barcode. Very frustrating.
3. The hub in the middle. Again, single use. It runs on 12 volts and has an internal battery but doesn't have a) an on/off switch or b) a battery status light. When you unplug it, it continues to run until it has depleted the battery. We end up plugging the laptop and the hub in at the house for 24 hours before we leave on a trip and when traveling, but tablet and hub stay plugged in all the time.
4. The box in the car. No status lights. Not even a power light. Is it connected to power? Is it connected to the hub? What are its config values?
5. Configuring the various settings. Getting the configuration to "stick" takes some work - we'd set a value and it would magically reset itself to the previous value. We have to try 2 or 3 times in order for things to "stick." We thought it might be related to the hub location, but we put the hub on the table a little over half way back, out in the open and that hasn't helped any.
6. What config values to use? We have spent about 2-3 hours on the phone with tech support trying to figure out what combination of settings to use for our car. The issue is that the system sometimes decides to do what I would call a "brake stand" where it applies maximum pressure on the brakes to the point that you can hear the tires squeal from inside the coach. Even when configured for the lightest car it will lock up the brakes and practically drag the coach to a stop (at least slow it down by 15 MPH). The most embarrassing time was when going through the ag check going into California - I'm going no more than 10 MPH, the guy waves me through, the car hits a bump and locks the brakes and drags me to a stop with the guy yelling "go ahead, move!" I'd love to but I have to wait the 5 seconds the system takes to let go of the brakes.

And BTW, I had the system installed as part of my tow package that was done by a reputable dealer.

If I had to do this again, I probably wouldn't. Out of 5 stars, I'd give it maybe 2. Great idea, lacking in detail.
jimnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #87

Commercial Member

Getting you back on track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnrose View Post
I'll probably not be adding anything new, but I'm not real impressed with the RVI3 system. We are towing a Ford C-Max Hybrid (fairly light) and have had issues with the system since day one. Multiple calls to support have helped, but we're still not there yet. Things we're not happy with:
1. The cheap tablet. Single use (unless you buy their other toys). Poor application design. The idea of having the "test" button in the middle of the status screen is just stupid.

2. The overall setup. We think that all the pieces (the box in the car and the hub) have to be on before we turn the tablet on otherwise we are continually asked to re-sync or whatever it is called when you scan the barcode. Very frustrating.
3. The hub in the middle. Again, single use. It runs on 12 volts and has an internal battery but doesn't have a) an on/off switch or b) a battery status light. When you unplug it, it continues to run until it has depleted the battery. We end up plugging the laptop and the hub in at the house for 24 hours before we leave on a trip and when traveling, but tablet and hub stay plugged in all the time.
4. The box in the car. No status lights. Not even a power light. Is it connected to power? Is it connected to the hub? What are its config values?
5. Configuring the various settings. Getting the configuration to "stick" takes some work - we'd set a value and it would magically reset itself to the previous value. We have to try 2 or 3 times in order for things to "stick." We thought it might be related to the hub location, but we put the hub on the table a little over half way back, out in the open and that hasn't helped any.
6. What config values to use? We have spent about 2-3 hours on the phone with tech support trying to figure out what combination of settings to use for our car. The issue is that the system sometimes decides to do what I would call a "brake stand" where it applies maximum pressure on the brakes to the point that you can hear the tires squeal from inside the coach. Even when configured for the lightest car it will lock up the brakes and practically drag the coach to a stop (at least slow it down by 15 MPH). The most embarrassing time was when going through the ag check going into California - I'm going no more than 10 MPH, the guy waves me through, the car hits a bump and locks the brakes and drags me to a stop with the guy yelling "go ahead, move!" I'd love to but I have to wait the 5 seconds the system takes to let go of the brakes.

And BTW, I had the system installed as part of my tow package that was done by a reputable dealer.

If I had to do this again, I probably wouldn't. Out of 5 stars, I'd give it maybe 2. Great idea, lacking in detail.
Jim-

Thanks for sharing all of this. Based on what I read, I think there's some misunderstandings about the product; settings, etc and possibly faulty hardware on the hub, because what you're describing at least is not at all how the system is designed to function or functioning for thousands of customers. I know you've referenced talking to support, but I'd love help. But if you're willing, call me at 800-15-2159 to chat and get you back on track.

-RVi(Jerad)
rvibrakesupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #88

I'll leave this to RVI support. Every time I contacted them with a question, I got an immediate response.

Since driving habits, tow vehicle and toad vary so much, it is quite reasonable for the selection of options be a process of trial and error.

I use hi-power USB hubs in multiple places in the coach and they all are on the Inverter, i.e. never off. The Hub and the tablet are power by these hubs.

The main reason I chose the RVI 3 Brake was the Test Button on the tablet so I can easily see when the brakes are applied and I can apply them if I feel the need for the toad brakes to be on. The only thing wish for is the Test Button to be active for the time I am pressing it rather than the fixed time test. But for now it does what I need.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvibrakesupp View Post
Jim-

<snip>... I know you've referenced talking to support, but I'd love help. But if you're willing, call me at 800-815-2159 to chat and get you back on track.

-RVi(Jerad)

Thanks Jerad. My wife will be calling, if she hasn't already.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #90

RVI3 Update...

In an earlier post I expressed my displeasure with the RVI system, the main complaint being that it would arbitrarily lock up the wheels on the toad. After a long discussion with RVI, they sent us a new brake unit and hub. We installed the new unit and it is working much better than the original one. We put about 50 miles on it so far - just a trip around the area - and so far no lockups. We are using the exact same config parameters as before so definitely not user error (or so we're thinking). The tablet is showing more braking info than before (it wouldn't show anything until it got to 3 rings). There some other notable differences but they are all for the good. The old one is on its way back to RVI. My thought is the accelerometer was/is flaky since mos of the times it would lock up was going over bumps in the road. Anyhow, RVI support was very good in offering to replace the unit. Not quite ready to give it 4 or 5 stars yet, not until we've had it on a longer drive but we're much happier with it than before. Still don't know why the "test" button is in the middle of the "drive" page, and don't know why the hub doesn't have an on/off switch. Oh well. Progress has been made.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:25 AM   #91

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My experience with the customer service has been the same. They are an amazing company willing to send new products to replace any that might be defective. My Tire Patrol has been replaced twice and on my last trip, it worked great. Overall, I really like the products from RVi. I’m glad they helped you out.
Savannahdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:26 AM   #92

All good to know as I need to call them tomorrow. My tablet is cycling the charge display even though it is shut off and not plugged into the charger.

Not sure if it is the tablet or operator error that is the issue.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
All good to know as I need to call them tomorrow. My tablet is cycling the charge display even though it is shut off and not plugged into the charger.

Not sure if it is the tablet or operator error that is the issue.
Just wanted to follow up, it was the tablet and they shipped a new one immediately.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #94

Fleetwood Owners Club
New RVi customer

Hi,
I just purchased the brake3 and tire patrol and am encouraged by all the good reports in this thread.

I'm hoping the fact that these are used items won't be an issue. The original owner only used the brake3 once and apparently never used or paired the tire patrol. They should still be under warranty at 8 months.

I've done a non-road test of the brake3 with good results but have to solve my power problem.

Like jimnrose, I also have a Ford C-Max hybrid (there aren't many of us) which has an unusual electrical config - no direct access to battery terminals under the hood and the 12V outlets don't stay on with the car shut off. Rather than try to cobble in a charger and direct 12V socket, I'm going to try using a separate, dedicated battery to power the brake3.

The tire patrol is having a more difficult startup - only 2 of the 10 sensors would pair, even with the hub right there by them. I'll be on the phone to support about that tomorrow. Am encouraged by all the reports of great customer service.

I'll let you know how things turn out!
USTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We just used the rvi3 on a trip to Memphis pulling our F150 and the system worked great with no glitches. The pad is pretty big for the rvi3, maybe the tire pressure monitor system needs the big screen -- I don't have an issue with it only doing one thing, we have other tablets and don't need this one to do anything but monitor the rvi3 brake in the toad.

Installation was easy, I powered the tablet from a spare cigarette lighter style plug under the dash and was able to plug in the hub in a cabinet in the bedroom. I faced the small purple power light towards the wall so it doesn't disturb our sleep. Set up was easy and pairing went well. I did a test pairing and didn't use the system for a month and had to re-pair the system when we used it for the real thing. It paired immediately throughout the trip. I made a stop out of scrap plywood instead of using the metal one rvi supplied with the system.

I ran a line straight from the battery to power the rvi3 in the truck and installed their 12V battery charger, intending to run a charge line for the truck. Total time was about 1 hour for both, much of that just looking and thinking. I never got around to installing the line before we went on the trip so I packed a battery charger in case I ran the truck battery down, but after 11 hours on the road, it started right up so I'm probably not going to connect the charge line.

Installing the brake unit in the truck couldn't be simpler, slip in the wood stop, set the brake unit on the floor, up against the stop. Plug the unit in and connect the hook to the brake pedal. Follow the directions which amounts to pushing the red button 3 times, then connect the brake away cable and you're done.

This is a good braking system which needs very little installation wiring and takes just a minute to connect to the vehicle wen you want to use it.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:46 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I never got around to installing the line before we went on the trip so I packed a battery charger in case I ran the truck battery down, but after 11 hours on the road, it started right up so I'm probably not going to connect the charge line.

Two cautions on this. First, not sure if you saw the recent thread on the F150 that had the transmission go bad. Worth reading as loss of battery may have been the cause.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2018-...st-404074.html

Second, I installed the charge line for my Colorado and found my power if the seven pin plug was missing. Turned out a number of manufacturers run the wire but don't connect either end. If you do decide to install the charge wire, you may want to verify you have power in the seven pin on the coach.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Two cautions on this. First, not sure if you saw the recent thread on the F150 that had the transmission go bad. Worth reading as loss of battery may have been the cause.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2018-...st-404074.html

Second, I installed the charge line for my Colorado and found my power if the seven pin plug was missing. Turned out a number of manufacturers run the wire but don't connect either end. If you do decide to install the charge wire, you may want to verify you have power in the seven pin on the coach.
I don't have a line at all, I'll have to run a wire from the rear run bay or battery.

I read that thread and it doesn't sound like they have anything definitive about the cause of his issues.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #98

Not sure what type of coach you have, but I had to check the coach wiring diagrams from Newmar and found the wire. A search also turned up some good information as well from from people who had done it before me.