Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
RVIBrake 2 ABS-12011

We will be fulltiming in the next few years. With the purchase of a MH that will be 43 ft, 450 Cummings, towing a Tahoe. I have done some research on braking controls. My choice is a RVI Brake 2 ABS-12011 system. I would like any or all pros and cons on this model from everyone. Thank!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

I don't know much about the one you mentioned.....but have you included the "Air Force one" in your research ? It gets really high marks from those that use it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1421891808.333170.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	83902

Old 01-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird1958 View Post
We will be fulltiming in the next few years. With the purchase of a MH that will be 43 ft, 450 Cummings, towing a Tahoe. I have done some research on braking controls. My choice is a RVI Brake 2 ABS-12011 system. I would like any or all pros and cons on this model from everyone. Thank!

I use that as my braking system, it works as advertised. I like the remote as you can monitor when the brakes are being applied. It's also quite easily transferred to another vehicle. Takes a minute or two to setup (once it's all installed) and even less time to remove it.

One thing you have to make sure is that you have a constant 12v source for it and that doesn't discharge your car battery. You might need a charger that connects to the MH for maintaining your car battery charge.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I recently purchsed one and completed the install in a F150 crew cab last weekend. I installed their (RVI) 12V charger as well. The only intrusive part of the whole deale was a small hole in the firewall for the break-away switch cord that plugs into the unit. I took it for a nice 25 mi test drive Sun afternoon. I was in too big of a hurry to beat the sun that I didn't take the time to take along the remote controller. I will be using it this weekend on a 500 mi trip and will get better acquainted with it.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I recently purchsed one and completed the install in a F150 crew cab last weekend. I installed their (RVI) 12V charger as well. The only intrusive part of the whole deale was a small hole in the firewall for the break-away switch cord that plugs into the unit. I took it for a nice 25 mi test drive Sun afternoon. I was in too big of a hurry to beat the sun that I didn't take the time to take along the remote controller. I will be using it this weekend on a 500 mi trip and will get better acquainted with it.
Thank you for your response. My question to you is did you add the battery charger for the RVI brake system? As you get familar with the unit could you pass your finding on to me? Thanks again Scottybdivin!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I use the RVi Brake 2 and do not have the charger. So far I have not had a problem with the battery losing charge. It is very easy to set up and use and easily transferred to another toad, although I have not set up another toad yet. I also bought the TPMS for the toad and tire pressure reads on the remote in the MH with the brake functions.
I have been very pleased with RVi Brake because it it very compact and easy to use.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you for your response. My question to you is did you add the battery charger for the RVI brake system? As you get familar with the unit could you pass your finding on to me? Thanks again Scottybdivin!
Yes, the battery charger is not part of the package, but it's only $50. I wired it into a 6 pole plug on the front of the F150. I will let you know how it does after this weekend.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Larry, what do you have for a tow bar?

Scotty, I am looking forward to your findings.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Larry, what do you have for a tow bar?
I have a Roadmaster tow bar and base plate. I had Camping World do the install. They also had a competitive price on Roadmaster with the Good Sam discount.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
I have a Roadmaster tow bar and base plate. I had Camping World do the install. They also had a competitive price on Roadmaster with the Good Sam discount.

I plan to tow my Tahoe (5500lbs). I have researched the Blue Ox Aventa tow bar it is 10,000lbs rated little over but the price is cheaper than the 7500lbs blue ox tow bar. I am looking at the RVI braking system. What do you have for a braking system?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also use the Rvi2 brake system. I have nothing but good to say for this company. If this is the type of system you want to use then you will not go wrong with them. I bought the original Rvi1system and it worked fine. I liked that when the company upgraded to the 2 it offered existing owners the new upgrade for only 100.00 and included a new warranty with it. I had a problem with my New Buick Enclave after 20,000 miles on the vehicle GM had to replace the front rotors and calipers. At 22000 miles they replaced the back ones. I called Rvi about this to see if that could be the problem. They told me they would do some research and called me back the next day. I found out the research involved the owner of the company taking his GMC Yukon ( same vehicle as the buick) out and spent the day trying to duplicate the problem and see if they could the brakes heat up. They could not find any problems with the setup. They informed me if I had to replace the brakes again and it was discovered there unit had caused the problem they would pay for the replacement. GM discovered a factory problem with my car which they fixed it was not the braking system. While I had the Rvi system out of my car I did something stupid and broke the connector you plug the monitoring sytem antenna into. I called the company and told them what I had done and asked how to get it fixed. They told me to ship the unit back to them and they would repair it. I asked if they could get me an estimate of the cost. They told me I was still under the three year warranty and it would be free. I explained that the damage was something I had caused and was not a warranty issue. They said it did not matter it was under warranty and they would fix it. They did not charge me for repairs or the shipping cost to ship it back to me.

In this day and age this type of customer service is refreshing.

Get the battery charger it can run down your battery if you are on a long drive. I found that out the hard way.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I also have the RVI battery charger. I discovered that my charge wire from the coach was not energized and it took me a while to find the problem. I couldn't get it going for our 1st trip towing the F150. It was only a 5 hour trip and the battery was fine when we arrived. Did you go multiple days when you found the dead battery or did it discharge all in one day? We may need it for a few long travel days heading west to AZ and UT in Apr. We probably will not unhitch the F150 along the way.

My dealings with RVI have been similar to yours, working through some minor setup issues. 1st class customer service.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #13
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
I have about 4,000 miles using the RVi 2 with a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate on a 2012 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon. Great brake system and extremely easy to install and remove. Love the in coach monitor and am planning on purchasing the TPMS from RVi before my trip out west this summer. I have had no issues with battery discharge even after two days of travel, but might purchase their battery charging unit along with the TPMS.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I just installed the Blue Ox Aventa tow bar on my 2015 Allegro Bus and base plate on the Chevy Equinox. Got the RVIBrake2 and the towed vehicle battery charger. I think I will order the 12V adapter and install it as I don't think the internal 12V plugs will put out enough dedicated power.

Seems like a good setup so far - plan to order the TPMS soon....RVIBrake customer support has been great...the whole setup - Aventa tow bar, baseplate, RVIBrake2 and related accessories was about $2400 total...

Tags
abs, brake