Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Having purchased several Jeeps over the years as toads for our motorhomes, we ended up with the 2006 Jeep Rubicon LJ. When we started out we test drove a new Rubicon and thought it was overpriced, noisy to drive and heavy feeling in town. It was hard to see how nearly $4500.00 more than the Sport model could be worth the investment. What we found out is the Sport Wrangler we started with was a decent rig in town but really was under built for the desert trips and rocks the groups seem to be drawn to. It seems that in the end the availability of air lockers, the stock bigger tires, the better drive ratios, the better transfer case were worth the dollars. It is not the most economical toad to use for sightseeing; but it gives more smiles per mile than most. Just my opinion.
Tim Brunkow
2003 Monaco Executive 40PBT
2006 Yellow Rubicon LJ Automatic

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #30

My .02 I have a 12 Sport 2dr auto, hard top, Track-Lock with 3.73 gears. The ride was greatly improved by installing (wife approved) Rancho RS9000XL shocks they are adjustable. I couldn't see the extra money for a Sahara or Rubicon. I wont be doing any hard core off roading mostly trail riding. I have 26,000 miles on the OD and have towed it about 7,000 trouble free miles. I installed the Currie Rock Jock tow plate, Cool tech wiring harness and the Toad Charger wiring system.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #31
KIX

Our new one....2013. Having owned maybe 20 Jeeps over the years this is the best one I've had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	074.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	52056  
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't know if axles have been mentioned yet, or not, but they are larger on the Rubi. We're not too aggressive in our trail choices, but did twist an axle on our Sahara TJ. We like the grit and gut of the 4.0 engine, so have stayed with the TJ. And we didn't know if we would ever need the lockers, until we had to use them one time. Wow ... what a difference! So, for us, the TJ Rubi is on top by virtue of its engne, axles, and lockers. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #33

If one was to be in the market for a used JK, please look for a 2012 or newer of whatever you are looking for. The earlier years have a 3.8L V6 and a 4 speed automatic. 2012 and newer have a 3.6L V6 and a 5 speed. The 3.6 actually has 80hp more than the 3.8. The difference is more than night and day.
RJ
Old 12-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #34
KIX

X2. What RJ said.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #35

For those of you looking for luxury that can be flat towed and still do some back country exploring, might want to look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

We've been towing a 05 Limited for a little over 50,000 miles behind the coach. We've had around Moab, in the sands in Johnson Valley. It handles all those things just fine.

So we just ordered a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland.

It has adjustable suspension, can be raised up 3.6 inches or lowered 1.6. Ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats. You name it, it has it. We did not get the locking rear axle, or heavy skid plates. I won't be using it that way. (if we want to 4-wheel we have a 05 Wrangler and a 73 CJ5 built for rock crawling)

Plenty of back seat room for guest (unlike the 05 body style).

There are not many SUVs in it's class.

Plus we got it with the diesel engine, should get between 25-30 mpg. 240 hp and 420 ft lbs of torque, it moves. We put it to the test against the 5.7 Hemi. Almost as fast with close to double the mpg.

To be flat towable it has to have the Quadra-Trac II or the Quadra-Drive II system (both use the same transfer case).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rubicon! No question. Lockers alone are difference enough, gives you an extra level of protection/safety. 4WD is a misnomer. 2WD = 1WD, 4WD = 2WD, 4WD + lockers = 4WD. Personally I add a winch and snatch block for another level of protection. You don't have to be a hard core wheeler to get a 4WD vehicle stuck.

Besides lockers, the Rubicon has lower gearing in the transfer case, bigger axles and electronic disconnect front sway bar. Although disconnecting the sway bar does help keep both wheels on the ground in very rough terrain, comfort is the real reason to disconnect. Even on a reasonably flat dirt road, the sway bar flexes as you run over rocks and burms, then it tends to snap the vehicle back in line with the axles. The occupants get pushed one way as the tire runs up the uneven surface, then they are abruptly snapped in the other direction. I hate that!

I run a LOT of miles off road, in fact, the whole purpose of my motorhome is to stage me in great areas to off road in my Jeep, then my feet. I really want a comfortable off-road ride for my wife and I. I always air down my tires (I carry a high volume 12V air compressor) and usually disconnect my sway bar even though mine is a pain to manually disconnect and more of a pain to manually reconnect.

One more thing before I get off my soap box. One is quite often out of cell range when off roading, consider investing in a 2-way satellite communicator for an additional level of safety (like the Delorme inReach), especially if you decide on the Sahara :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3300681301.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	52986  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #37

Bought the Sahara

Thank you all for your great help to my purchase. I ended up sending the DW to test drive both the Sahara and the Rubicon. She hated the ride in the Rubicon. She thought it was like riding over the bumps in the road the whole time. She liked the ride in the Sahara.
So on the 30st of December I purchased a new Sahara. I found one that was completely loaded. It was on a dealer trade which was 200 miles away. I finally got my new Sahara on 1-2-14. I do agree that it rides a lot smother. I may cruse through the desert or snow but won't go crazy climbing rocks. It rides nice enough where I won't miss my Denali. The Macho in me wanted the Rubicon but I'm glad the sensible other half talked me out of it.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by umcontractor View Post
Thank you all for your great help to my purchase. I ended up sending the DW to test drive both the Sahara and the Rubicon. She hated the ride in the Rubicon. She thought it was like riding over the bumps in the road the whole time. She liked the ride in the Sahara. So on the 30st of December I purchased a new Sahara. I found one that was completely loaded. It was on a dealer trade which was 200 miles away. I finally got my new Sahara on 1-2-14. I do agree that it rides a lot smother. I may cruse through the desert or snow but won't go crazy climbing rocks. It rides nice enough where I won't miss my Denali. The Macho in me wanted the Rubicon but I'm glad the sensible other half talked me out of it.
Congrats!
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congratulations Jeep brother! Check out Wrangler Forum. Com as you get to know your new Wrangler. Also, don't forget the Jeep wave! :-)
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gratz UM, welcome to the club. Enjoy your Jeep, they are so much fun.