Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #15
paz

haggisqueen - I would also be interested in seeing pics of the Equinox failure. We will likely replace our current toad with an Equinox.

We had a similar problem with our 06' Saturn Vue, but it was the tow bar that failed, not the vehicle. Ended up being metal fatigue around the welds. It's a real thrill to see the toad heading off in another direction. Fortunately, we were going very slow, and the car stopped on its own without hitting anything.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
haggisqueen - I would also be interested in seeing pics of the Equinox failure. We will likely replace our current toad with an Equinox.
Paz we have been towing our Equinox for several month now and are very happy with it. We use a Roadmaster base plate which I saw installed. The mounting is very secure and I check it for tightness occasionally. Never had a loose bolt. If there is a problem , I believe it was with the Demco baseplate or the installation of the same. Chevy did not say install your baseplate here, but more that Demco designed a plate to fit the car and decided where and how it should be attached.With the failure mentioned in an earlier post I think if the installation was to spec then one would have to look at the design of the Demco baseplate and not the Equinox. Several people here are using Roadmaster baseplates without problem. We are very satisified with the Equinox as a toad and driver.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #17

thank you for the replies However, in the list of recommended tow packages from GM the one that was installed was on the list. The bolts didn't give way they ripped right out of the metal and yes the front of the car stayed with the motor home. The engineers we have had look at it all say it is a fault of the car design and that it should be written somewhere that tow packages should not be attached there. There was no indication that there was a problem prior to the car going off on it's own. GM have even stated that where the package was attached the metal was not strong enuf to hold it and should never have been put on there. Now if I can figure out how to post pics.... if not there are pics on my facebook page under photos August 2011. (Anne Anderson living in BC Canada)
haggisqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #18

photos

hmm not very techy I am afraid! I can't post the pics as they exceed the size limit and I have no idea how to reduce them :( but I do have them posted on Facebook or I can send them to you if you send me an email to haggisqueen@shaw.ca
Old 11-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tried to find you on F.B. Do you have any idea how meny Anne Andersons there are in this world. Will try e mail
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks again for the pics. I took my Eqanox on its first trip today. I can tell it isn't the Tracke I was towing. It appears to weigh much more. Toped the gas tank in the MH. guage shoed full when I stoped at the station . Only took $73.48 to top it off. Any way the Equanox toed fine and we are ready to head south. Again if you look at the Roadmaster plate instilation compared to the one you had you will sea the difference. Rich
Old 11-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #21

I am assuming that in the case of the Equinox breaking away from the motorhome, that there was a braking system being used in the toad, and the failure of the braking system to stop the toad before it collided with another vehicle is that the brake-away switch failed as it too was pulled from the front of the vehicle.

Good reason to have the brake-away switch installed independent of the base plate, attached to another anchor point on the toad vehicle.

4 reasons to have brakes in your toad:

1) You sure want them when you're in a panic-stop situation. It's well established that you will stop faster with them than without them.

2) They're required in most states over a specific weight of the toad, generally 1-2K pounds.

3) If your toad does for some reason break away from the coach, it will stop the toad on its own, hopefully before colliding with another vehicle.

4) If you don't have toad brakes and you are involved in an accident, a good lawyer will have a field day in court with you if you're in violation of that state's laws.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Thanks for the information. We are looking at the Equinox as well. What base plate did you buy?
When we eventually trade out of our Saturn Vue it most likely will be for an Equinox. I will buy a Blue Ox baseplate and I expect to continue to use my Aladdin Aluminum (now with more steel) towbar.

Blue Ox supported the 2011 National Rally by sending us a rally team and a service tech with a huge amount of inventory. The tech serviced every unit in our rally that opted for service for $25.00. The tech fixed a ground issue that was hounding me and found an open in the umbilical cord. Additionally my tow bar was replaced and so were several other iRV2 members who had issues with their equipment. No fuss no muss.

I expect that Blue Ox will support our 2012 National Rally in Sevierville, TN next year and I'll be looking forward to seeing Jerry & Shirley again. Blue Ox gave us a $400.00 coupon which was given away as one of our door prizes. The person that won the door prize was ecstatic because they were going to buy all new equipment and they got a great discount.

Blue Ox has always gone the extra mile and I appreciate their business ethic and fact that the customer is always #1. Blue Ox equipment is not sold at the "big box" retailer but most small RV businesses in your area will carry Blue Ox equipment.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't used Blueox and know nothing about their product. It may be a good choice. As for the Roadmaster I installed on my Equanox I am verry satisfied with the engineering of this base plate. The pics. of the Demco failure scares me. If it was installed to the Mfr. specks. There are only a few spot welds between you and disaster. I for one will stay with Roadmaster.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:41 AM   #24

Thank you all for your replies We have installed a Blue ox system in the now repaired Equinox...after a great deal of research! No it was not the braking system that failed the base plate ripped away from the car and took the front with it! If you email me at haggisqueen@shaw.ca I will send you some pics. Amazingly after all was said and done I drove the car to the dealership and no squeaks or shakes anywhere it was like it never happened! Love that car! My hubby is a little leary of towing the car but the chevy mechanic at the dealership is very confident that the blue ox will be safe and we trust him so here we go heading to Oregon in the next week or so to pick it up then face the horrendous experience of crossing the border with a vehicle that has been repaired in the US! taxes and duty plus a safety inspection! Shudders at the thought! We are intending to pursue this issue as I am sure we are not the only ppl who have installed a front mounted base plate on this car and the info needs to get out one way or another in the hope it will save someone from being hurt or even killed. I will keep you all posted re any progress we make
Old 11-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisqueen View Post
Interesting reading re the towing of this car! I have to share this with anyone who will listen. We purchased our 2010 Equinox in April 2010 and within the week we had the Domco Excaliber 2 base plate and bar installed. In 2010/11 we towed the Equinox around 20,000 miles with no problems. (we love the car by the way)
However on our trip in August to San Francisco we had a HUGE problem. Stopped at a red light, light turns green we turn the corner but the car didn't, it continued all by itself across the intersection and hit a Caddy. No one was hurt fortunately as the speed at impact was around 5mph. The base plate, front of the car and tow bar were still attached to the motor home but no car! Wheel well covers were also ripped off. Chevy has refused to deal with this issue by saying the base plate etc were installed wrongly. Finally they have admitted it was not incorrectly installed but are now trying to blame Demco for not evaluating the recommended base plate on the car! Bottom line is the Equinox should never ever have a front mounted base plate as the metal on the car is not strong enough to hold it. Side mount only. I have pictures if anyone would like to see them. I want Chev to issue this warning to all Equinox owners and put it in the owners manual but they do not seem to be concerned about the possibility of people being killed if the car frees itself at 65mph on a hill. We have been without our vehicle since August because of all this and to put it mildly I am FED UP with them. We have talked to a number of engineers,shown pics and all say it is a design flaw in the car and should never have a front mount plate. So please please check what is on your vehicle and if I can help with info or pics feel free to contact me.
We tow the 2010 Equinox with the Roadmaster tow brackets that I installed, they come with plate steel inserts that go in the frame well to help support the frame and as has been stated if it breaks loose so does the front frame, I also have the roadmaster brake master system with breakaway with the roadmaster Falcon all terrain, we have been with pleased with the car as a toad and a second driver with super fuel milage. GOOD CAR
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad