Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Satisfied 2011 Equinox Toad

Just info for those who are looking into toads.We purchased 2011 Chevy Equinox and had the dealer install the base plate in his body shop. Did the wiring ourselves with diodes. We have been very satisfied towing the Equinox. Fairly easy setup as we have installed a switch for the one fuse removal required. Equinox is not too heavy for the gasser and very roomy inside. The 4 cylinder gives us good mileage and has an auto trans that is flat towable, and good for the DWs every day driver. We have talked to others who also seem happy with their choice of the Equinox toad. I know there are others vehicles which hook up easier, fit others needs better, and are highly recommended by their owners, but just wanted to add another option to the mix.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Just info for those who are looking into toads.We purchased 2011 Chevy Equinox and had the dealer install the base plate in his body shop. Did the wiring ourselves with diodes. We have been very satisfied towing the Equinox. Fairly easy setup as we have installed a switch for the one fuse removal required. Equinox is not too heavy for the gasser and very roomy inside. The 4 cylinder gives us good mileage and has an auto trans that is flat towable, and good for the DWs every day driver. We have talked to others who also seem happy with their choice of the Equinox toad. I know there are others vehicles which hook up easier, fit others needs better, and are highly recommended by their owners, but just wanted to add another option to the mix.
Thanks for the info. I installed the baseplate my self but am interested in how you installed the wireing { diodes }

Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for the information. We are looking at the Equinox as well. What base plate did you buy?
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SILVER View Post
Thanks for the info. I installed the baseplate my self but am interested in how you installed the wireing { diodes }
Wanted to avoid magnetic lights or trying to drill in extra bulbs. Wanted the look and brightness of factory tail and rear side marker lights. First comment I got from dear wife was "your not cutting the wiring of my new car".
Purchased Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector which gave me male/female pigtails to be installed behind both tail lights after unplugging them. Don't have or want a hitch on Equinox so i cut off everything but the pigtails. Then I purchased Tow Ready Tail Light Isolating Diode System with 4-Pole Connector
which mount behind the tail lights also [ plenty of room behind them ] and must be spliced into the wiring. I did my cutting and splicing into the purchased pigtails and completed the install per instructions. A little more work and about $30 more but if any problems ever arise I will merely unplug the pigtails out of the system and replug the tail lights into the factory wiring. Any questions give me a private email as these explanations get kind of windy.
Also we installed Roadmaster brackets because they are not very noticeable when not in use at home.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
George Z

Good installation job details. I have been towing a 2010 Terrain (Same toad, different skin) for around 7,000 miles with no problem. The Equinox is a good choice for a toad.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used a Roadmaster base plate Kit #3160 1A from E trailer. Total cost $349.95 deliverd to my door. I nstilation was a little hairy. You need to remove the front clading from the equanox . Tools required to do this are a screw driver #20 torx driver and a quarter inch nut driver. Didn"t like doing this to a new vehicle. It gets more interesting from here. The instructions for inst. are avaleable from Roadmaster. Thay say 2.5 hrs it took me 7 but wasn"t in a hurry. Etrailer was excelent to deal with.Verry helpful
Old 11-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Equinox Toad

We tow a 2012 Equinox also and have been very satisfied. Requires very little set up to tow. Used Blue Ox base plate, diodes for lights, Blue Ox Alpha tow bar. Had RV dealer where we bought Jayco Melbourne 29d install everything because I was not sure I could do it right and they had the experience. Printed out the instructions for towing from the owner's manual and keep a laminated copy over the car visor so I am sure I do everything right and not cause any damage to toad.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think my H3 will go bye bye and the new toad will be lighter and get much better mileage. What mileage are you folks getting. The H3 gets about 12. Yuck.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I think my H3 will go bye bye and the new toad will be lighter and get much better mileage. What mileage are you folks getting. The H3 gets about 12. Yuck.
Wife gets 23/26 in 2011 Equinox 4 cyl auto FWD. That is during 30 mile round trip daily commute in traffic. Traveling in Equinox we get 28 but car was rated for 30. Went from a Mountaineer getting 16 to the Equinox and are very happy with it.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
My Equanox is a 2012 AWD 4cylinder with about 600 miles . So far I love it . The mileage is running 24.5 all short trip driving. Ampel room for 5 ride isn't bad handeling and acceliration is great. Haven't hooked it to the MH but wikk soon I hope.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SILVER View Post
My Equanox is a 2012 AWD 4cylinder with about 600 miles . So far I love it . The mileage is running 24.5 all short trip driving. Ampel room for 5 ride isn't bad handeling and acceliration is great. Haven't hooked it to the MH but wikk soon I hope.
You will find that it tows greater also. Good luck with your new Equinox
Old 11-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #12

Equinox towing

Interesting reading re the towing of this car! I have to share this with anyone who will listen. We purchased our 2010 Equinox in April 2010 and within the week we had the Domco Excaliber 2 base plate and bar installed. In 2010/11 we towed the Equinox around 20,000 miles with no problems. (we love the car by the way)
However on our trip in August to San Francisco we had a HUGE problem. Stopped at a red light, light turns green we turn the corner but the car didn't, it continued all by itself across the intersection and hit a Caddy. No one was hurt fortunately as the speed at impact was around 5mph. The base plate, front of the car and tow bar were still attached to the motor home but no car! Wheel well covers were also ripped off. Chevy has refused to deal with this issue by saying the base plate etc were installed wrongly. Finally they have admitted it was not incorrectly installed but are now trying to blame Demco for not evaluating the recommended base plate on the car! Bottom line is the Equinox should never ever have a front mounted base plate as the metal on the car is not strong enough to hold it. Side mount only. I have pictures if anyone would like to see them. I want Chev to issue this warning to all Equinox owners and put it in the owners manual but they do not seem to be concerned about the possibility of people being killed if the car frees itself at 65mph on a hill. We have been without our vehicle since August because of all this and to put it mildly I am FED UP with them. We have talked to a number of engineers,shown pics and all say it is a design flaw in the car and should never have a front mount plate. So please please check what is on your vehicle and if I can help with info or pics feel free to contact me.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #13

I towed my Equinox out west this summer with the gasser listed in my signature. Over six thousand miles and towing was never a problem. I had the Blue Ox system and the SMI brake system installed as I did not trust myself with such an expensive mistake. The installation of the brake system was not without its problems but the dealer corrected them and the system worked as directed. I liked the ability to unhook or hook up in less than 5 minutes. I found that my mpg fell by a little less than 1 mile per gallon when towing. I get 8 1/2 MPG and 7 1/2 MPG when towing. But I had to buy a car that I coould use when I was not towing and the Equinox is a very good vehicle. I have had the car for over a year and have not gone back to the dealer for anything, nor have I fixed anything myself. I owned 1 Japanese car and one german car in my life and neither was this reliable.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple ofpics. would be interesting. I am not formilur with Demco. I installed the Roadmaster base plates on mine and wass impressed in the engineering in the Roadmaster plates. I used the thred lock thay recomended and the torque thay recomendid. If it comes off so does the complete front including the frame. As for my Brakebuddy power sorce I got a fuse tap at Advance Auto to solve that problem. A little pricey for what you get but it works. ALMOST $8.00

Tags
toad