Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:36 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Has anybody come up with a disconnect switch for the Saturn ign fuse that should be pulled prior to towing? I know its an easy pull but it's just my nature to "throw the switch". If someone has a source or a good design that would be super,
Thanks

Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:36 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Saturn ignition fuse switch?

Has anybody come up with a disconnect switch for the Saturn ign fuse that should be pulled prior to towing? I know its an easy pull but it's just my nature to "throw the switch". If someone has a source or a good design that would be super,
Thanks

Old 06-06-2008, 05:08 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ol'Joe;

I changed mine. I went to an auto parts store and purchased a 30 amp toggle switch & a 30 amp in line fuse kit. I used parts of the old fuse to solder 10 gage wire to the prongs. I wired the new fuse kit in line and it works fine. Just make sure you use switch and wire capable to carry 30 amps.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Assuming it is a blade type of fuse, it is easy to fabricate one. Standard male spade terminals will fit into the slots where the fuse blades go. Run one wire from a spade terminal to a fuse of the same amp rating and then to a toggle switch (mount the switch wherever convenient for you). Run a second wire from the switch to the other spade terminal. Make sure the wire is rated for whatever the amp load is. Plug the spades into the fuse panel and you are in business.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #5

I have come up with a simple way to get our Outlook into neutral with the key in the "off" position. This should eliminate any fuse pulling.

Before I give out the secret, I want to make sure that there is not some need for the key to stay in "Accy" and not be turned to "off". On the Outlook, there is no steering wheel lock so that isn't the reason.

Sorry to hijack, but your question was a great lead in to mine.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:17 AM   #6
paz

Ol'Joe, This link shows a commercially-available switch assembly (4th or 5th item down the page). I've seen others that are a little less expensive, but not by much so I made my own.

In the '06 Vue, I need to pull a 30 amp fuse under the hood. I removed the fuse, attached a wire to the hot side of the fuse terminal using a spade terminal as RV Roamer suggests, installed an in-line fuse holder with a fuse rated the same as the original, ran the wire to a convenient location for the switch (on the lower edge of the dash near the driver's door), then ran the wire from the switch back to the cold side of the fuse terminal. Just make sure the wire and switch are rated to carry the current that the original fuse was rated for. Also make sure the fuse is attached to the hot side of the fuse terminal so the switch and wiring will also protected by the fuse.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
We owned an '06 and I would pull the 30 amp fuse under the hood as directed. We have gone to an '08 and according to the manual there is no need for the pre tow run or pulling of the fuse like the 06 required. I am a little skeptical about not doing the run so I do it anyway. I cannot find a like fuse in either fuse panel so I pull the 2 amp ign power fuse out of the cockpit fuse panel. So far no problems. I am a little curious why on the first model it was a 30 amp fuse and the second is a 2 amp. Any ideas???

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:59 AM   #8
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DFR:
I am a little curious why on the first model it was a 30 amp fuse and the second is a 2 amp. Any ideas??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The '08 Vue is a completely different vehicle from '07 and earlier. The '08 Vue actually comes from the German GM subsidiary Opel (model name in Germany is Antera). Other than that, I am not that familiar with the '08 Vue. It could be that the '08 ignition circuit is powered by a relay and the energizing circuit for the relay is only 2 amps, whereas in the earlier models, there was no relay and you had to pull a 30 amp fuse for the entire ignition circuit. Just a guess on my part as to why there is such a big difference.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have come up with a simple way to get our Outlook into neutral with the key in the "off" position. This should eliminate any fuse pulling.

Before I give out the secret, I want to make sure that there is not some need for the key to stay in "Accy" and not be turned to "off". On the Outlook, there is no steering wheel lock so that isn't the reason.

Sorry to hijack, but your question was a great lead in to mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

May I suggest that you start a new discussion with this? I for one would like to discuss it further, but it ought to be in a separate thread.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">May I suggest that you start a new discussion with this? I for one would like to discuss it further, but it ought to be in a separate thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll watch for that thread. I'd also like to know.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We probably won't bother pulling the 2 amp fuse on our 08. We can start it every 4 hours to keep the battery up.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:45 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the replys. I'll go the make your own route. Appreciate it!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 PM   #13

Wink Saturn Fuse Switch

I'm going to make one.
I used to tow a Subaru with a 5 speed stick and it was nice to just get out, flip up the tow bar, lock it and then start the Subaru and drive to the campsite. Now we have a 2001 Saturn LW200 wagon and it says in the manual to pull 2 30A ign fuses when towing. It takes a bit of a pull to extract these fuses each time and my friend has a Vue and cracked the fuse block after doing it a lot.

I'm going to take a fuse and short it out and then solder wires to both sides of it . One will go to another fuse in a holder inside the box and the other end will go to a switch under the dash and back to the other side of the blown fuse. I'll have to use a double pole single throw switch for both fuses and it will have to handle 30 Amps. But, I can then just flip the switch and never have to open the hood right away when we get to our destination and the fuse block will not have all that stress on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Joe View Post
Thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
08 & 04 Vue

08 & 04 vue pull the same fuse. I made up a jumper using the "add-a-fuse" plug set-up. Have a switch in series with fuse, and just have to flip it, when I hook up. Very quick & easy.

Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote