Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #1

Saturn Outlook - lights setup

We will be towing a 2009 Saturn Outlook behind our motorhome and we've decided on the Blue Ox setup. I called Blue Ox to verify the parts I planned to order and the rep told me the wire/bulb setup is recommended over the wire/diode setup that uses the existing lights. They said normally that's recommended when there isn't a good place or space to mount the diodes, but said to verify that with an experienced installer.

How do those of you towing the Outlook/Acadia/Traverse have your lights setup? What are the pros/cons of the different setups - additional bulbs vs diodes/existing bulbs?

Thanks!!

Follow our adventures at The Wandering Winos
The Wandering Winos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Find a new rep, the bulb socket setup will take a lot more space than the diodes. Diodes are very tiny, like smaller than an eraser on the end of a pencil with a wire coming out each end.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

I ordered and received the Blue Ox BX8848 wiring kit for the 2009 Outlook. The diodes are actually quite large, much larger than a pencil eraser.

Has anyone installed this kit on an Outlook\Acadia\Enclave? I plan to install the base plate and wiring kit this week before it gets too cold in the garage.

Thanks!

Tom

Old 10-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased my diodes from a car electronics business for a couple bucks, they're small, very easy to install, work great. I've noticed the diodes that come in kits are housed inside some plastic that makes them appear much larger than they really are. I suppose it helps support the excessive pricing they charge for them that way.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #5

Thanks, Easyrider. Ha! Makes sense....they are not inexpensive for what they are, that's for sure. Make them look big and charge more!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I tow a 2009 Outlook, love it. I installed diodes at the rear lights, had no problem. Great toad vehicle.
johnzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #7

Thanks Johnzuki. I plan to start the install of the baseplate and lights tomorrow. If you did the install and have any suggestions I'm all ears! It looks pretty straightforward and I expect it will take a few hours to complete.

Thanks!

Tom

Old 10-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

While not a "professional installer" (I don't charge people) I have used 8-10 sets of THESE diodes from Radio Shack to wire tail lights in a variety of vehicles.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062591

4 diodes for $3 ain't bad.

I can give you a schematic of how to install/connect them.

PM an Email address if you want it.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have a different make of car but did find a diode mounting location. Look carefully under the rear seat for a protected location. I was able to splice mine into the tail light wiring and stuff the diodes under a seat mounting bracket. This has been severely tested by now and it is and has been working fine. The diodes are also easy to get to if there are problems.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I also have a different type car, but we did the diode hooked them up to the tail lights on the caddie in the truck ran under rear seat under door ways up too firewall thru firewall up too front grill and mounted the plug there so we just hook them together and off we go all the lights work on the caddie except the headlights. all marker lights and tail lights work just like you had the car lights on.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights