Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #1

The Saturn Outlook's operator manual states that the vehicle should not be towed at a speed above 65 mph or damage could occur. This is the only issue preventing me from purchasing an Outlook. Any comments on this speed topic will be appreciated (good, bad or ugly). Thanks

Un-numbered Amigo
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #2

Our GMC Acadia owner's manual says the same thing. We generally run between 65 and 75, and have had no problems so far. About 4,000 miles of towing.

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:59 AM   #3

Thanks Bob. I know two other Acadia owners who are not concerned about the warning. Have you taken any measures to mitigate possible damage - more frequent fluid changes or changing to synthetic lubricants? I'm very concerned about the voided warranty situation.

Un-numbered Amigo
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just check your tranny fluid occasionally for signs of overheating. Synthetic tranny fluid is more resistant to high heat, so that's a good bet if you are concerned.

Odds are you could tow forever at 75 and not cause overheating of the tranny, but there is always a chance and GM's engineers need to cover all the bases. Towing the car for several hours on a 100 degree day can generate some high heat loads. In severe conditions like that, stopping to run the engine every couple hundred miles would go a long way toward avoiding any possible tranny over temp problem.

With fuel prices so high, we now travel mostly at 62-64 mph, where our fuel economy is best.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The 65mph max tow limit is not set by the vehicle being towed. It is set because it is unsafe towing anything in excess of 65mph.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My cruise is set on 62 mph for several reasons. 1) That is where I get my best fuel mileage. 2) I want to see the scenery as I pass by. 3) It is much more relaxing driving than trying to stay up the pack. 4) I don't have to be concerning about voiding my toad's warranty. 5) The flashing blue lights passing by are for someone else.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #7

Actually, my Acadia is in for service today. I'll call and have them check the transmission fluid.
B.

Estero, FL
Old 04-30-2008, 07:08 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Lane;
We've towed our Saturn SL-2 for six years now using a Roadmaster Sterling. I never exceed 65 and my normal cruising speed is set at 62 MPH, or 2100 RPM. With gas the way it is, I may drop it down to 55-60. But safety and the tranny are the real issues which is why the book indicates 65 as the max.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #9

Picked up the Acadia from the dealer. Transmission fluid check showed no signs of overheating and no fluid loss in 12,000+ miles. Only about 4000 of that is towing miles.

Service writer expected no ill effects from towing. He said that they see a lot of them here in south Florida.

On another note for all of you Acadia/Enclave/Outlook owners: I have been experience unusual shifting ever since the car was new. From 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, the rpm's would drop by over 1,000. If you didn't keep the pedal pressed, the car would lurch. Just not as smooth as it should be.

The dealer confirmed today that there is an issue that GM has acknowledged, and they expect to have a recommended fix sometime in August.

Estero, FL
Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
cwg

Bob, is your Acadia an 07 or 08? There has been quite a bit of information on the software flash for the earlier models. It changed the shift points and made the vehicle seem to lurch less. I am not sure if that is the same thing you are experiencing, but most people seem to like the software change.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

My Acadia transmission software has been upgraded three times since we got it in Feb 2007. Last time was December 2007. It runs/shifts pretty smoothly now.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The transmission software on our 2007 Outlook, purchased February 2007, was upgrade once last year after complaints of a "flat spot" in the acceleration. No mention was made of any other updates when we had it in for service last month.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:44 AM   #13

Mine is an '08, and already had the software change or update, apparently as all '08 models. I don't believe it is as bad as the '07s before the change, but according to the dealer here in Ft Myers, there will be another fix coming.

Estero, FL
Old 05-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks Bob. I know two other Acadia owners who are not concerned about the warning. Have you taken any measures to mitigate possible damage - more frequent fluid changes or changing to synthetic lubricants? I'm very concerned about the voided warranty situation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are so worried, why don't you just slow down and the problem will take care of itself.

golden is offline   Reply With Quote