Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Saturn Outlook XR 4700 Empty Wt. Toad?

My 2003 V10 32' Fleetwood Storm has a 5,000 tow capacity. I thought my Outlook (same as the Acadia/Traverse/Enclave platform) was too heavy to tow with it, but now I have a dear friend that looked up and said I should be able to tow it.

Any comments out there folks? I cannot afford to buy all the gear until the car is paid off next year, but then I'll be looking at towing. Kinda scared thinking about it though......

I attached pics of the MH and the Car (car pic is when it was getting new shoes put on)

Input/Comments/Suggestions/Warnings/Opinions all welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5482227.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	17548   Click image for larger version

Name:	5482226.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	17549  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-29_13-45-24_23.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	17551  
Attached Images

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's about right for the curb weight - my Acadia SLE is listed at very close to that aswell. But the curb weight is kind of a fictitious number - i would want to get it weighed as it is when you normally drive it - I'll bet it's more than 4700. Probaly not more than 5000, though.

You probably have some head room on the GCWR - most 32 footers don't weigh as much as their GVWR allows, so there is some extra capacity in the GCWR. Problem is, the hitch receiver is still limited to 5000 lbs. And personally I would be hesitant to tow right at the limit too. That would be pushing my luck, I think.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That's about right for the curb weight - my Acadia SLE is listed at very close to that aswell. But the curb weight is kind of a fictitious number - i would want to get it weighed as it is when you normally drive it - I'll bet it's more than 4700. Probaly not more than 5000, though.

You probably have some head room on the GCWR - most 32 footers don't weigh as much as their GVWR allows, so there is some extra capacity in the GCWR. Problem is, the hitch receiver is still limited to 5000 lbs. And personally I would be hesitant to tow right at the limit too. That would be pushing my luck, I think.
Yes, I agree. Well, when the time comes, I'll maybe have to get something smaller. It would sure be nice to have my Outlook though, I love that car.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Love my Acadia too. This is the first car (or truck) we've ever kept over 5 years. It's 5th birthday is in a few days and we have no plans to trade it, this year or next.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Love my Acadia too. This is the first car (or truck) we've ever kept over 5 years. It's 5th birthday is in a few days and we have no plans to trade it, this year or next.

same here! My Outlook is the first car I've had in 15 years I wanted to keep long enough to put new tires on it! And I'll have it paid for in 16 months!! AMEN!!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
JDT

I had our 2011 Acadia Denali FWD weighed last year and with a full tank of gas it was 4900 pounds.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I had our 2011 Acadia Denali FWD weighed last year and with a full tank of gas it was 4900 pounds.
The Denali has to weigh more than my Outlook....I would think....
Old 02-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
JDT

Probably right. The weight of those extra things on the Denali that the wife had to have and I had to pay for surely acounts for a hundred pounds or so.

Seriously, we tow ours on a dolly because the wife would not let me poke holes in the front end and we had a difficult time finding a dolly that would handle that much weight. I plan to eventually get something like the Chevy Colorado to tow 4 down but will keep the dolly so we can have a choice of what to take. Been a bit of an adjustment to the dolly after towing 4 down for past 10 years but not as much as I thought.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Probably right. The weight of those extra things on the Denali that the wife had to have and I had to pay for surely acounts for a hundred pounds or so.

Seriously, we tow ours on a dolly because the wife would not let me poke holes in the front end and we had a difficult time finding a dolly that would handle that much weight. I plan to eventually get something like the Chevy Colorado to tow 4 down but will keep the dolly so we can have a choice of what to take. Been a bit of an adjustment to the dolly after towing 4 down for past 10 years but not as much as I thought.
I kinda don't blame her, that Denali is a pretty nice looking vehicle! I'm all new to this still, towing will come next year when the car is paid for. Can't wait for that day!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kent, do you know the GCWR of your Storm? When you say you have a 5,000 lb tow capacity, are you talking about the hitch rating? (Nice looking moho and car, BTW.) We're trying to figure out a TOAD for our Bounder and I'm wondering how much weight the tow bar and stuff will add.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Kent, do you know the GCWR of your Storm? When you say you have a 5,000 lb tow capacity, are you talking about the hitch rating? (Nice looking moho and car, BTW.) We're trying to figure out a TOAD for our Bounder and I'm wondering how much weight the tow bar and stuff will add.
I will check the GCWR and I think I read that in the owner's manual about the 5,000 capacity. (thanks for the compliments!) I'm not sure where I got the 5,000 number, will check it out.

Kent
Old 02-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nominally the tow capacity is the difference between the coach GCWR and GVWR values, but if the actual coach weight is less than GVWR, you can use the difference as extra tow capacity. So, Max tow = GCWR - Actual_Weight, subject to the limit of the hitch itself. Gas chassis coaches like this typically get a 5000 lb hitch receiver, but that may be more than the coach is actually rated to tow. Check the numbers carefully.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Nominally the tow capacity is the difference between the coach GCWR and GVWR values, but if the actual coach weight is less than GVWR, you can use the difference as extra tow capacity. So, Max tow = GCWR - Actual_Weight, subject to the limit of the hitch itself. Gas chassis coaches like this typically get a 5000 lb hitch receiver, but that may be more than the coach is actually rated to tow. Check the numbers carefully.
That's what I thought, Gary. It's easy for us newbies to "assume" that if the hitch is rated 5,000, then that's how much can be towed. I am anxious to get our coach weighed so we won't make a mistake when buying a toad.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Last year, I weighed the coach, four corners, axles, etc. But I remember the total weight (I was loaded, full of fuel, 3 extra people, full water, half full holding tanks in around 17,500#. I have to check those GCWR and GVWR values still though.

Tags
toad