Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #1

We have a 1999 saturn to tow behind our 2005 Jayco 31SS. We live in California in the San Gabriel Valley Area. Has anyone heard of a twoing class near us?

Thank you
Diane

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #2

We have a 1999 saturn to tow behind our 2005 Jayco 31SS. We live in California in the San Gabriel Valley Area. Has anyone heard of a twoing class near us?

Thank you
Diane

Old 09-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #3

Diane,

I can't help you with your request, as i live on the East coast. I will tell you that Saturn's tow like a dream. You hardly know they are back there. I owned 2 Saturn SW2's before purchasing our HHR.

Even though it's a very light car, don't forget about supplemental toad braking.

Happy miles!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #4

Never heard of a towing class for RV/Toad combos. I assume you plan to "flat tow" your 99 Saturn. I flat tow my 2000 Saturn without any problems. Towing is very easy to do as long as you keep the following in mind:

1. Your rig is about 20 feet longer.
2. Make sure you account for the extra length when you make turns. I make wide turns like a semi tractor/trailer to keep the toad from hopping a curb.
3. You must plan ahead as you cannot "back up" with a toad.
4. I use my rear camera to monitor where the toad is in relation to other cars on the road.
5. Once you get your rig set up for towing, practice around you neighborhood until you get the feel for towing.

If you have mastered driving the MH, you will have no problem driving with a toad.

Cheers
Old 09-14-2007, 01:57 AM   #5

Big Red..
What is the weight of your Saturn?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 05:40 AM   #6
paz

My wife and I took RV driving lessons from Dick Reed's RV Driving School. There are several locations in CA. However, I don't think this is what you are looking for since the lessons were fairly expensive and were geared primarily for driving; but they did cover toad hook-up and towing and they could probably customize the lessons to include more information on the subject.

The best information I got on towing (what equipment do I need - tow bar types, base plates, lights, procedures, supplemental braking, etc.) was at a Life on Wheels conference. These are educational conferences for Rvers and are held in several locations around the country. Unfortunately, the closest one to you would probably be Tucson, AZ in March. Larger RV shows sometimes have seminars which may include towing. You could check some shows out.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:51 AM   #7
paz

While you are searching for a towing class, this article entitled Towing 101 from Towing World may be helpful in answering some of your questions.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:13 AM   #8

Thank you for the good advice I will look into all your information. 1 question I pulled a TT for some years would it be like that? I thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I hate to say this but I have some more for a later date

Diane
Old 09-14-2007, 06:22 AM   #9

I would spend the money for this class I think it would be worth it for me in the end. Thank you.

Diane

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:
My wife and I took RV driving lessons from Dick Reed's RV Driving School. There are several locations in CA. However, I don't think this is what you are looking for since the lessons were fairly expensive and were geared primarily for driving; but they did cover toad hook-up and towing and they could probably customize the lessons to include more information on the subject.

The best information I got on towing (what equipment do I need - tow bar types, base plates, lights, procedures, supplemental braking, etc.) was at a Life on Wheels conference. These are educational conferences for Rvers and are held in several locations around the country. Unfortunately, the closest one to you would probably be Tucson, AZ in March. Larger RV shows sometimes have seminars which may include towing. You could check some shows out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>