Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2004, 07:11 AM   #1

Hello friends, I need some help. I had my 04 Saturn Vue wired for towing and have some questions.
Should the third stop light at the top of the tailgate also come on with the rear brake lights on the Vue when the brakes are applied ?
Also, the light over the license plate, should that be on when the motorhome lights are on ?
Thanks for your help, Poppop

Jake & Doris
2003 36'Journey LD
330 Cat
2004 Saturn Vue
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2004, 07:11 AM   #2

Hello friends, I need some help. I had my 04 Saturn Vue wired for towing and have some questions.
Should the third stop light at the top of the tailgate also come on with the rear brake lights on the Vue when the brakes are applied ?
Also, the light over the license plate, should that be on when the motorhome lights are on ?
Thanks for your help, Poppop

Jake & Doris
2003 36'Journey LD
330 Cat
2004 Saturn Vue
Old 03-05-2004, 07:31 PM   #3

I chose to use an add-a-bulb for my lighting on my 2004 Vue. I would suspect your Vue is wired correctly and it is operating correctly. I would think that the tail lights and turn and stop lights are on a separate circuit from the Third Stop Light and the license plate light. The way a Saturn is wired, almost everything goes through the BCM (Body Control Module). Before going to it's final destination. If this is really a concern for you, I have the service manuals, and I can see if I can figure out how the circuits are wired. Either respond to this post or send me a PM or and Email if you would like me to check the service manual.

cad_man

2003 Newmar Kountry Star KSCA3301
Workhorse W22, Vortec 8.1L, Allison 5 Speed
Koni Shocks, Super Steer Track Bar, Davis TruTrack, Safe-T-Plus
2004 Saturn Vue AWD Blue Ox Baseplate/Aladdin Towbar, SMI SilentPartner
FMCA 322927
KG6JIY

CAD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:29 PM   #4

Hello cad_man, Thanks for your response .
The technician that wired our Vue, installed the Base Plate, and Brake Pro.
He removed the Brake Pro after not being able to have it work like it is supposed to.
After spending 2 full days, and a horror trip when i left there after the first day.With the Brake Pro warning lights flashing .I never expected it would be this much of a problem. I gave the tech. $20 tip when I left after the first day thinking I am ready to travel.Then after the 2nd day I thought not his fault it was the Brake Pro and another $20. I think I should try another service center.
I hate the thought of going through this again.
Do you think I really need a brake system ?
We really like our Vue. I hate to have it go through this process.

Jake & Doris
2003 36'Journey LD
330 Cat
2004 Saturn Vue
Old 03-08-2004, 06:04 AM   #5

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the BrakePro. Have you called Roadmaster and let them know you are having problems, I would suspect they would bend over backwards to help you. This is after all a new unit and they are trying to get into the aux braking market. If someone is having major problem, that's not very good advertising for them. I had a SMI brake system installed. I have had no major problems. There were some initial adjustment problems, but that was due to a learning curve and all is well now. I would also say that the SMI system is more intrusive to the Saturn then the BrakePro and there were no installation problems.

As far as the requirement for a braking system, that is up to you whether you feel comfortable with or without one. There are some states that supposable require them but there is as much controversy over the requirement as there are braking systems.

cad_man

FMCA 322927
KG6JIY

Old 03-08-2004, 04:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jake & Doris,

Definitely contact Roadmaster and tell them about your difficulties with Brake Pro installation. They will get either the hardware or the technician straightened out - they are a good company with excellent customer service.

As for needing a brake system, please get one for my safety if not your own. You will be able to stop your rig substantially quicker with it than without - as much as 30% shorter stopping distances. And yes, many states and provinces require them, usually depending on the towed vehicle's weight. If your Vue weighs 3000 lbs or more, the brake is required in about 25+ US states.

Gary Brinck
2002 Dolphin LX - W22 chassis
2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2 4WD
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #7

Gary,
Thanks for chiming in on the Roadmaster BrakePro. Just to let you know I fully support Auxiliary Brakes on a Toad. There is just so much argument on whether laws really apply to toads or not. I will always play on the safe side and have them, plus with a gas rig I think it should be mandatory period. You state there are 25 states that require them if you are over 3000 lbs. I have heard other people say there are only 2 states that require Auxiliary brakes no mater what the weight of the toad is. I have even gone to WEB sites that have toad towing laws listed for all states and it is still ambiguous.

cad_man

FMCA 322927
KG6JIY

[This message was edited by cad_man on Tue March 09 2004 at 10:37 AM.]

Old 03-09-2004, 09:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

When I said 25 I was choosing not to debate whether a toad is a "trailer" or not. The simplest interpretation is fine by me and I for one do not want to have my legal fate depend on a D.A's or jury's interpretation of the local law. Further, civil law does not have to follow the state's official interpetation and might easily say that anything you tow is a trailer (if it walks like a duck...). Failure to use widely available and commonly accepted safety devices could lead to being found negligent even if obeying the letter of the law.

Most important, why devise legal arguments to avoid what's in your own best interests?

Gary Brinck
2002 Dolphin LX - W22 chassis
2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2 4WD
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:59 AM   #9

Oops,
Gary I guess I really stepped on your toes. That was not my intention, all I was trying to point out was the data that is presented on many WEB sites and in some vehicle codes, is ambiguous at best. I think all toads should have an auxiliary braking system, but everybody quotes different WEB sites, different interpretations of the same laws from the same states. It would be so much easier if each state defined a Toad and the Braking requirements in the same fashion, and then there would no room for argument.

I chose to have an auxiliary braking system for 2 main reasons.
1. Mine and the next fellow's safety.
2. I live in one of the most sue happy states in the union and I'm protection my proverbial rear end.

cad_man

FMCA 322927
KG6JIY

Old 03-10-2004, 05:44 AM   #10

Thank You Cad_man and Gary B for your thoughtful and wise information.
I talked to Jody at Roadmaster and he is convinced that the wire used to power the Brake Pro would not supply enough amperage.
I also just spoke to Bernie the manager at Ft. Myers Camping World. He told me to call him when I wanted to return and assured me he would, without a doubt, have the Brake Pro System and wiring resolved.
Again thanks to you and irv2.
Jake

Jake & Doris
2003 36'Journey LD
330 Cat
2004 Saturn Vue
Old 02-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #11

Cad-Man

I see you are running a 2003 8.1L vortec V8 in your RV. I lost the fuse box cover in the engine compartment. Can you get me a stock number off your cover or do you know where I can pick one up.

Thanks cyassets

2003 Monaco La Palma
cyassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:51 PM   #12

It's 3:00Am and I'm heading off to work. The RV is all wrapped up (Covered) for the Winter. I will try to get to it after work today or Saturday after work and find the number for you.

Bruce