Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I am trying to find out that exact procedure to follow when flat towing the AWD 2006 Vue. Even though it covers it in the owners manual they do not tell you exactly when to start the engine and go through the shift pattern. Do you start in park and then go to D then N let it run for 3 minutes then off, or from engine off turn to acc shift to D then to N and then start and let it run for 3 minutes? Or perhaps it does not matter. I have called Saturn and they simply read back from the book.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I am trying to find out that exact procedure to follow when flat towing the AWD 2006 Vue. Even though it covers it in the owners manual they do not tell you exactly when to start the engine and go through the shift pattern. Do you start in park and then go to D then N let it run for 3 minutes then off, or from engine off turn to acc shift to D then to N and then start and let it run for 3 minutes? Or perhaps it does not matter. I have called Saturn and they simply read back from the book.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Here's what I found. I'm sure you know this but for other people searching, determine if your Saturn Vue is the V6 that is towable at this site .pdf

And then go to ALLDATA to read about the lastest procedure that I could find. Upon reading page three, they'll probably have to send this back to the drawing board too because if you remove the Ignition circuit as they say, you won't be able to start the engine to do the procedure.

OK so here goes from a guy who does not own a Vue but would like to.

Your engine is running when you pull up behind your motorhome and you stop, put on the emergency brake and stop the engine to hook up the tow bars. Do the hook up and get back in the Vue, it's says set the brake but you already did that so check that the brake is still set. Start engine.
Apply foot brake and hold it. With the engine still running, shift out of Park down thru all the gears to low. Shift back up to Drive and then to Neutral. Turn the ignition to ACC and release the parking brake, take your foot off the foot brake. Remove ING fuse - see page 3.

After your Vue sits or is towed for 7 hrs. Repeat the above procedure but add let it idle 3 minutes in nuetral.

The Saturn (Honda) transaxle slowly looses its oil to the pan so its important to do the relube procedure every 7 hours whether it's being towed or it's just sitting waiting to be towed.

Never shift from Reverse to Neutral and think she's gonna be ok.

Hopefully, someone with a Saturn Vue (Honda V6 automatic) will correct any mistakes.

Very nice looking vehicle.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:51 AM   #4

I have an 06 Vue, and all is correct, except, ALWAYS leave in drive for 3 minutes before going to neutral, and ALWAYS release the brake afterward. I forgot that step once, and my wife has never let me forget it since.
Tom
Old 08-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
With the engine still running, shift out of Park down thru all the gears to low. Shift back up to Drive and then to Neutral. Turn the ignition to ACC and release the parking brake, take your foot off the foot brake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Exactly!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:55 PM   #6

That is how we do it. But, I've installed a 30 amp bypass switch to avoid having to pull the IGN fuse.

Paul
Old 08-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That is how we do it. But, I've installed a 30 amp bypass switch to avoid having to pull the IGN fuse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

Where did you mount the Switch? Where did you buy the Sw? I just bought a 2006 Vue, V6 AWD, I had towed a 1997 Jeep Cherokee (Sport) for 70,000 miles, sold it, bought a Vue, had Blue Ox Base plate installed have B.O. Tow bar, have Brakes (installed myself) But never had to pull a fuse before, sounds interesting.

Bruce
Old 08-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #8

Bruce,

I bought a 30 amp, single pole, single throw bat handle toggle switch at a local auto store, don't remember if it was NAPA or some other. But, it is a common item and should be readily available.

I also bought a 30A, heavy duty automotive style fuse holder with wire "pigtails", some #10 AWG wire and a couple of 30 amp fuses. These fuses are similar to the "mini fuse" style but larger.

I crimped a spade lug onto one of the NEW fuse holder wires and inserted it into one of the slots where the original 30A IGN fuse resided. This places the new fuse holder just outside the stock, under hood fuse compartment in the VUE. I then spliced a length of #10 AWG wire to the other NEW fuseholder pigtail and routed it through the firewall via the existing grommet and over to the underside of the dashboard immediately adjacent to the center console where I located the switch. The switch is attached w/ two sheet metal screws into the underside of the plastic(?) dash and the bat handle points down toward the floor. This places the switch close to my right knee and mostly out of sight.

From the other terminal of the switch, I routed more 10AWG wire back through the grommet to the remaining slot on the ORIGINAL fuse holder to complete the circuit.

I don't have any photos, but if it would be helpful I'll take some and could e-mail them to you.

Paul

Bluewind
2003 Southwind 32V W20 8.1L
2005 Saturn VUE V6 toad
"Monty" & "Maggie" the might Shih-Tzus
FMCA F375077
Old 08-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #9

Thanks Paul,

Sounds simple enough, I'll have to look for that "existing grommet", things looked perty crowded under there (the firewall)! I installed my brake unit that was on my Jeep! I used to work on Computers, UNISYS, so I was thinking Radio Shack, and I have never seen things as heavy as 30 amp lately! Never thought of NAPA, and I have one about 10 blocks away.

Think I can safely handle this one.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction,

Bruce