Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #1

We would appreciate any comments or opinions on the electric steering assist on the Saturn Vue.
Our decision has been made to purchase an '07 Saturn Vue in the spring, to replace our SL2 as a toad..The steering question is our only hesitation...

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #2

We would appreciate any comments or opinions on the electric steering assist on the Saturn Vue.
Our decision has been made to purchase an '07 Saturn Vue in the spring, to replace our SL2 as a toad..The steering question is our only hesitation...

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
paz

We have an '06 Vue, which has the same steering. I think the steering is a little sensitive (too quick for me) and does not provide a lot of feedback to the driver - a little bit like driving on a video game. You kind of get used to it, though. All in all, it's not a big deal.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I'm sure the Vue has undergone some changes but I had a 2004. I didn't like the steering and really did't like the electronic accelerator. I would give it some foot petal and it was hesitate then all of a suden it would surge. This early model couldn't be towed either. I kept it a year and traded.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulmarg:
..The steering question is our only hesitation... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't let the steering alone bother you that much. I find as opposed to others that the steering response is slower than I would like and the wheel cut is not as sharp as I wish it could be. I am spoiled by my motorhome's 47 degree wheel cut. Once you're on the road and moving right along the steering is responsive and it's something that you do get accustomed to. Not having a conventional steering column and mechanical coupling to your wheels feels funny at first but the technology works.

This type of steering is a precursor to what may be seen industry wide in the not too distant future. It's a tiny bit like an F-16 fly-by-wire system.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I on the other hand like the steering although it is much different than most things I drive. I would suggest that you get behind the wheel and drive a good long distance to make your own dicission.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Just purchased a 2007 Vue, DW loves it and will not let me drive it.

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:30 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The electric power steering on the Vue is not a "Fly-By-Wire" type system. The steering wheel is mechanically connected to the steering rack through the electrically assisted steering column.

The main difference in this system and a conventional hydraulic system is that instead of the power assist being provided at the steering rack hydraulically by a pump driven by the engine, the power assist is provided by a 12-volt reversible electric motor mounted on the side of the steering column (under the dash).

These systems have proven to be quite reliable in my opinion as I service numerous GM vehicles with "EPS" (I'm talking about normal maintenance and non-steering related concerns) and I can't feel any difference in operation between hydraulic or electric systems. I can however, tell the difference by the sound the electric power steering motor/column makes which is very minimal. Sort of a swish-swish sound. This is nothing compared to some of the hydraulic noise and vibration that can be induced by a conventional system.

As far as driving our Vue (which isn't too often because, like Phelpo, it's the DW's car and she won't let me drive it ) I really like the way it steers and handles. The electric steering system not only provides assist, but automatically varies the amount of assist needed depending on vehicle speed and other factors. The assist is greater at low speeds for parking maneuvers and it's less at higher speeds for increased feedback and directional stability. The electric system is less complex than a hydraulic system and elimination of the pump reduces engine load increasing fuel economy.

If the steering is your only concern then I say, as the others have, take one for a good long test drive. Our Saturn dealer let us take one for a 24 hour road test which was great. Decide for yourself how the steering feels.

We really like our Vue and also think it makes a great toad. I suspect you'll be very happy with an '07.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #9

Is the sensitivity of the VUE's electric steering adjustable? Also, is any of this related to "torque" steering? Ours seems a little too sensitive.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:03 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, unfortunately there are no adjustments for the sensitivity. The PSCM (P/S Control Module) is pre-programmed with all the necessary calibrations and will select the proper one depending on the option content of the vehicle. It does this by communicating with the BCM (Body Control Module) which has the vehicle's VIN programmed into it. Now, there may be some way to "fool" the PSCM into using a different calibration, but it's not a recommended service procedure.

As far as torque steer is concerned, all front wheel drive vehicles exhibit this condition to some degree. I must admit I noticed quite a pull on the steering wheel in our Vue when I first turned into traffic and accelerated quickly at the same time. The tendency is for the steering wheel to try to return to the center position when you accelerate with the wheels turned in either direction. To me it was simply an indication of just how powerful that Honda V-6 is.

I hope that answers your questions.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #11

Here are questions for the group; I am "new" to towing a vehicle behind a motor home.

We will be towing a 06 saturn with a 02 Holiday Rambler vactioner. The motor home, bought recently came with a blue ox Aventa II towbar. A local company will install the blue ox face plate on our 06 saturn vue.

Here are my questions....how difficult/easy is it to reconnect the tow bar to the saturn vue? I anticipate it would take two people, one to drive forward slowly, the other to direct wheel direction so that the tow bar triple pivot matches the faceplate. I suppose it is a matter of practice...the more it is done the better one gets.

Second question...let's say one gets to an Rv park and then disconnects the saturn to have the car available. Does one disconnect at the RV receiver and then raise the tow bar vertically and drive around with it in that position or does one disconnect the tow bar at the face plate

Last question; anyone with experience with the buddy brake with the vue....is it a positive experience...the company selling/installing the face plate sells the buddy brake...is it difficult to pull in and out (and then in again when leaving an RV park) from the floor board and then reinstall again...in other words is using the buddybrake a nuisance?

Thanks, HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
paz

Hemi, congrats on the purchase of your new motorhome.

The Aventa II will disconnect from the base plate of the toad and remain on the motorhome. I use a locking pin at the motorhome receiver to help deter theft. It is relatively easy to connect and disconnect the tow bar from the toad, provided the toad is pretty straight and not parked on a hill so as to put tension on the connections. There are only 2 pins (plus the safety cables, wiring umbilical, and breakaway cable). Hopefully, the dealer installing your base plate will be able to instruct you how to hook up.

You will also need to decide how you are going to wire lights for your toad. You can use the toad's bulbs (with diodes to prevent feedback between the toad and motorhome), install separate bulbs in your taillight housings, or use an auxilliary light bar or magnetic lights.

I have hooked up our toad by myself many times. Hooking up by yourself requires jumping in and out of the car to repeatedly check and correct your alignment. Hooking up by yourself gets easier with practice, but it is always easier with a second person as a guide.

You may want to read Tow Bar Angle and Height Difference and Tow Bars Wear Out? at the top of this forum just for education since you are new to towing a car behind a motorhome.

I don't have personal experience with the Brake Buddy, but I have read good things about it. It is very popular. I do have a Brake Pro, which operates very similarly. It takes only a few minutes to install or remove. The actuator clips to the brake pedal, there are several wires to plug in, then you position the seat against the bar on the back of the brake unit.

There are some brake systems which are permanently installed in the toad and some, like the Brake Buddy and the Brake Pro, which have to be set in place each time (and stored somewhere when you are not towing). I suggest going to the top of the page to "Find" and doing a search on "Brake Buddy" and "Toad Brake" and reading some of the discussions specifically on the Brake Buddy and on some of the other types and brands of brake systems in general.

Good luck with your decision.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #13

Paz, you answered all my questions; thanks for taking the time to prepare a very thorough discussion.

My appointment with company to install the baseplate is a two-day affair...the plate will be installed on the 06 vue the first day and then the on the 2nd day we will drive the motorhome to receive instruction on hookup, the braking system and other items. The company is listed on the blue ox list and thus we are dealing with a good installer.

I figured it would require in and out of the car a few times to get the line-up right...most of the time I will have my wife along to assist. We also have a f350/bigfoot camper and thus I am well experienced in lining up vehicle with camper although I expect it will be a lot easier and faster with the motor home/Vue.

Last night I was looking at the tow bar trying to figure out the levers. I could not get them to move up (or down); they are in a horizontal position. One of the tow arms could be pulled out without any action on the lever. The other one seemed stuck in its place. I don't know if this is standard or there is a problem. However, I am sure the installer will have an answer.

My tow bar did come with all the two safety cables and the wiring umbilical and the break-away cable. I will mention to the installer to use the diodes....the installer is quite experienced because our local Saturn dealer sends all RV related requests to him.

I note that you have the Allegro which was one of our favorites in a decision to move up to a motor home. However, we ran across an asbolutely perfect and very low mileage Holiday Rambler (with bath + half) that we could not pass up....and thus we have the HR instead of the Allegro.

Again, thanks a lot, HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:37 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulmarg:
Our decision has been made to purchase an '07 Saturn Vue in the spring, to replace our SL2 as a toad..The steering question is our only hesitation... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

It takes a little getting used to but once there it is no real show stopper.

We have a 2004 2.2L with the 5 speed stick. The clincher for us on the Vue was the difference in gas consumption with the electric verses hydraulic power steering. The loss of 4 or so miles per gallon consumed/lost by the power steering pump is not something we really miss.

Oh yes the steering works conventionaly if you have an electrical failure however if you stall the engine, as long as the battery is good, the power assist is still there.