Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 AM   #1
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I have an 06 Saturn Vue AWD. The front tires seem to have premature tire wear. It has 24000 miles on the odometer and probably around another 6 to 8k towing. Is this normal??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 AM   #2
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I have an 06 Saturn Vue AWD. The front tires seem to have premature tire wear. It has 24000 miles on the odometer and probably around another 6 to 8k towing. Is this normal??

Old 07-06-2007, 05:22 AM   #3
RLS

We have a 05' FWD Vue, with about the same milage. And yes my front tires have quite a bit more wear than the rear.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:33 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have a 2004 Saturn Vue FWD with the Honda V6 and I got 50000 miles out of the original Brigstone tires. You did not say if the wear is the same across the tire or if it is more to the side or the middle. That would indicate if the air pressure is too little or too much and if the alignment is off.
I have to be careful with my Vue, with 250 HP it will easily spin the front tires if I give it too much gas. That might be your problem if you are a little heavy footed taking off from a stop.
My Dad used to wonder why his rear tires were wearing out so fast when I was a teenager. That was before I had to buy the tires.

Bill
Old 07-06-2007, 05:48 AM   #5
paz

GGI, we have an 06 Saturn Vue AWD V6. We do not have any unusual tire wear. We have about 20,000 miles on the odometer and about 12,000 miles towing.

Are you rotating your tires regularly? They should be rotated every 5,000 miles or so and that should be combined driving and towing miles. I have to admit I am not as diligent with tire rotation as I should be, but our tire wear is still not abnormal.

Are your front tires wearing evenly or is there cupping? Cupping may be an indication of an alignment problem either with the Vue tires or with the tow bar. Most tow bar manufacturers recommend the tow bar be level to no more than 4" higher on the motor home end. Bouncing of the rear of the motor home, especially with a long overhang, can cause the front of the toad to lift slightly. This will be exaggerated if the front of the tow bar is too high.

If the front tires are wearing evenly (just faster than the rears), then I would say that is normal, especially if they haven't been rotated often enough. The Vue AWD really operates as front wheel drive unless the front wheels start to slip. That's the only time AWD kicks in. The front tires do all the steering and most of the traction so it's only normal for them to wear more than the rears.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have a 2004 V6 AWD Vue. I am showing close to 40,000 miles driven. I am definitely on my 3rd set of tires. The second set of Bridgestones did not last at all like I expected them to. They wore out prematurely in my opinion and they were not cheap.

The 3rd set of tires are Cooper Lifeliner GLS and are supposed to be guaranteed for tread wear for 60,000 miles. They cost a bit more money but IF I can get a more mileage of these it'll be worth it.

I bought the tires from Black's Tire and Service on 3rd Street here in Conway, SC.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:59 AM   #7
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the replies, The tires have been rotated at 9k and again at 20k miles, wear appears to be even accross however I have noticed a bit of a whirring noise coming from the rear on very smooth roads recently. I have heard that the original Bridgestones are noisy. Maybe it just the nature of the tire.