Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:02 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi:

Just an observation on why we all need to stay alert (especially when Towing)

I was southbound on I-294 Up by North Chicago/Gurnee yesterday and the traffic was stopped. At the side of the road was a MH with a "toad" (looked like a Vue?) that was being winched onto a flat-bed. The Toad was "toasted" from the front bumper to the rear seat. Firemen had obviously extinguished the blaze, and apparently, the driver, passengers, and MH were OK.

Now this is supposition, but apparently the brakes or tranny caught fire as I am sure the motor was off while towing . I would really like to have talked with the driver to find out if Brakes stuck, Tranny failed, or what. Also, would like to know if he had a rear view camera.

My wife thinks I am "obessive" while I am towing as I keep the camera on an include it in my "instrument/road" scan. However, it just may help me avoid a situation like this poor soul encountered.

I was also curious as to how often events like this happen.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2007, 03:02 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi:

Just an observation on why we all need to stay alert (especially when Towing)

I was southbound on I-294 Up by North Chicago/Gurnee yesterday and the traffic was stopped. At the side of the road was a MH with a "toad" (looked like a Vue?) that was being winched onto a flat-bed. The Toad was "toasted" from the front bumper to the rear seat. Firemen had obviously extinguished the blaze, and apparently, the driver, passengers, and MH were OK.

Now this is supposition, but apparently the brakes or tranny caught fire as I am sure the motor was off while towing . I would really like to have talked with the driver to find out if Brakes stuck, Tranny failed, or what. Also, would like to know if he had a rear view camera.

My wife thinks I am "obessive" while I am towing as I keep the camera on an include it in my "instrument/road" scan. However, it just may help me avoid a situation like this poor soul encountered.

I was also curious as to how often events like this happen.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #3

Well, there is an endless list of possibilities that could have caused that failure including the issues that you have mentioned. However, tell the wife that it is far from obsessive to keep the rear view monitor on. A great many things can be prevented, or caught before a disaster occurrs by keeping an eye on the monitor. As a matter of fact, there was a case of an RVer pulling a toad that caught fire, and because he was not aware of it, set fire to a large area in the surrounding farm land. I believe that it occurred in Kansas. Kansas later found him liable for the damage that he caused, although it was unintentional.

Moral of the story, the rear view camera is there for a reason, USE IT!!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

I guess I'm really obsessive as I even have a camera feed to the rear of my Stacker trailer...sure makes it nice!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #5

Saw a picture of a toasted toad once. Aux. brake unit malfunctioned and overheated the brakes, which in turn ignited the car.

I like the rear window and rearview mirror in my coach but how blind doya gotta be to miss the smoke in the mirrors?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
All true, but for safety reasons, I'm much more interested in where I'm going, than where I've been.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
BrakeBuddy almost toasted toad. $1400.00 worth of brake parts including 2 new hub caps.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by park_ridge_dave:
thinks I am "obessive" while I am towing as I keep the camera on an include it in my "instrument/road" scan.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, You're NOT being obsessive! Most people have no clue they're handling a lethal weapon. Thanks for being a careful driver.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:25 AM   #9

Bob, tell us more about the camera feed on your stacker trailer. I tow a 20' enclosed trailer and with my back up camera I have a beautiful view of the aluminum trailer front. I do not like to be blind of what is behind trai;ler and a camera feed may be just the ticketKen,'04 DSDP...
Old 07-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #10

I heard a story about a toad that blew a tire & the MH driver didn't know it. The rim sparked fires along the side of the road and the MH driver was held responsible for the firefighting costs. I was told other motorists drove by and tried to let the MH driver know ...to no avail.

Maybe this is just an highway legend. I don't know.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #11

It might help to install a system like a Pressure Pro or Smart Tire to let you know when you have a tire with low pressure or a blow out...a lot cheaper than repairing a damaged towd, motorhome, or firefighting costs.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nope, Not fable! I saw a guy towing a home made truck box turned into trailer going down the road with a flat tire and the sparks touched off a wildfire that burned over 200 acres before they got a handle on the fire!! Yes They caught the dummy and I wouldn't have wanted to be his insurance company!! He ended up doing time in the jail for that. Really Stupid award!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:41 AM   #13

In my opinion, not using the RV's rear view camera while in motion is like removing the rear view mirror in a car or truck!