Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #15

I may have to start having the wife ride in the toad with a cell phone in case there is a problem

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Yep, learned about "constant scan pattern" when I learned to fly. Works great in the RV too. I like to do a good left turn very soon as I pull out. It lets me see the wheels rolling, and the Taos wheels turning left in my left rear view mirror.

Years ago, had borrowed a a Jeep to take to the mountains. Thought the transfer case was in neutral, and good to go. Left turn pull out, and saw the wheels were locked a I drug it the first few feet. 😨😨😨

Old 05-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I find that after I hook up my toad I will undoubtedly be making a 90 degree right or left turn fairly quick to get on a road out of the campground whatever. When half way through my first turn taking it really slow I can see front and back wheels of my toad in the side view mirror; I always check to see if the wheels are all turning. Only once did they not (very early stages of being a MH owner) and now this check encourages me that the vehicle is in free roll tow.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #18

A working microphone on the camera can help too for the first few yards.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
TPMS will alarm if pressure is to low or to hot (tires will already be toast)
The idea would be like checking the temperatures every so often just like checking the engine temperatures and when they start to go above normal time to take a look see.

It may not help preventing ruining a tire but this situation where wheels and hubs are worn into what more can I say? No system is 100% perfect.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
As part of my check, after everything is hooked up, lights checked, I move forward about 5-10 feet just to make sure I did not forget something else. Can't be to careful.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
I may have to start having the wife ride in the toad with a cell phone in case there is a problem
The wife should at least check things, but your idea is best. I've seen people unhook their toad when it wasn't necessary. The wife could just sit back there and turn the wheel as needed.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
As part of my check, after everything is hooked up, lights checked, I move forward about 5-10 feet just to make sure I did not forget something else. Can't be to careful.
As newbies to all this, once we hook up the toad, my wife gets into the coach, and drives away slowly (each of us with walkie talkies) while I walk around the Jeep a few times (drive 100 yards or so if reasonable to do so).

I start by looking at the Left Rear (parking brake location) then do at least 2x around looking and listening closely to ensure that all wheels are turning freely and no odd noises, as well as ensure the bars are extended and locked.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #23

We had a similar but much less costly thing happen very early in our towing experience. Went to pull out of the RV spot and could feel a drag. Stopped and saw two grooves in the dirt about 2" deep and 4' long. Oh S$&@, left the toad in park. The folks in the spot behind us had a grin from ear to ear...

Now, DW always asks "is the car in the right gear?" As we get ready to pull away. My next check is to put the MH into gear with my foot off the brake. If it does not roll ahead, I know we have some inspection to do.
Just can't imagine driving far enough to burn the front wheels off though. And they walk among us.......
Old 05-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #24
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
My tires on my toad are not visible in my backup camera, TPMS will alarm if pressure is to low or to hot (tires will already be toast), toad is not visible in mirrors while travelling in a straight line (is smoke visible in mirrors?).

So how would having a camera, TPMS, checking mirrors have helped?
I don't see this the way that you do. My TPMS is very sensitive to temperature changes, I can tell which side of the coach the sun is on, and most of the time the pressures and temps or every wheel are within a few points of each other. If I saw a wheel that suddenly was 5 pounds or 10 degrees higher, than the group, I would stop and check it out immediately.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #25
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Just can't imagine driving far enough to burn the front wheels off though. And they walk among us.......
Yes they do. Check out this video. The best part starts at 5 minutes.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
We were at Black Mesa State Park (OK)last Summer. A man showed up wit his pusher/Jeep Toad.
He had not unlocked the Steering Wheel-New tires scrubbed to nothing-1 blew.

Not good to not pay attention to the toad- the toad is jealous for attention, toad will make you pay
Old 05-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #27

Old 05-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Three Step Pull Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
My method for checking that the toad was running freely was simple. Move forward at a slow walking pace and depress the clutch (or put the auto in neutral). If the rig slows down immediately there must be drag that shouldn't be there.

Once found the transfer case wasn't in neutral (had been bumped into low) and gearbox is supposed to be in second and the engine was spinning which would have been interesting at highway speeds.

In that case checking the wheels were spinning would show they were, and a TPMS wouldn't have shown a problem either.
An old head who gave me my first RV instruction said that there is a three-step process with every departure. Engage Drive and release the brake and then punch Neutral. If there is a seized brake, a dragging toad or a tailer with a dragging brake, it will be evident.

Beyond that, my fellow motorists have never failed to alert me when they see a problem. My favorite: a guy walked up at a rest stop and mentioned that he spotted a wisp of smoke coming off the dolly bearing I'd just repacked! He saved me a a bundle, and prevented me from becoming stranded down the road.