Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #29

I've had to do that a few times with no problems or damage, the back up camera helps with keeping things in line.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #30

It always seemed to me that the front wheels could do whatever they wanted too, which generally was to turn all the way in one direction or the other. They just scooted along wherever the tow bar pushed them placing significant stress on the tow mechanism and toad. What seemed to cause the toad to turn, and eventually jacknife if not corrected, was the relationship between the rear wheels of the toad and part of the hitch that turned on the ball. Almost like a trailer where the front wheels weren't even there.

I never pushed the situation beyond a slight turn, before pulling up and starting over, but that is the way it looked to me. My toads have been a Sami and Tracker which are pretty light. A heavier vehicle may behave differently.

Steve

Old 04-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #31
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
True, when I back up my car and take my hands off the steering wheel, the front wheels will turn to one of the end stops (full left or right turn) and the car will go backwards in circle.

However, if I have my car attached to my RV with the tow bar and back up, the front wheels will caster nicely and follow the turns, probably not tracking perfectly, but they do not turn to the end stops. Done it a hundred times, not a problem.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post

However, if I have my car attached to my RV with the tow bar and back up, the front wheels will caster nicely and follow the turns, probably not tracking perfectly, but they do not turn to the end stops. Done it a hundred times, not a problem.
All I've ever backed is a Metro, Samurai, and Tracker and after a few feet they would all go to the stop on one side or the other and just scoot unless someone held the steering wheel. Perhaps a difference in vehicles.

Steve
Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a believer that the best method would be to pull the MH back with the toad.

Put the MH in reverse engine running foot on brake, put the Toad in reverse and back up, driver in the MH keeps enough brake on to keep from pushing against tow bar.

Cell phone contact Toad to MH to Toad being a good idea.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I am a believer that the best method would be to pull the MH back with the toad.

Put the MH in reverse engine running foot on brake, put the Toad in reverse and back up, driver in the MH keeps enough brake on to keep from pushing against tow bar.

Cell phone contact Toad to MH to Toad being a good idea.

I am a believer in folks that loathe the 3 minute unhook/rehook. It's not a failure!
I'm a Grup!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I meet a guy who's done several 180's in a small parking area (not disconnecting the toad), not large enough to turn around going forward. Since then I learning how. It can be done without causing damage.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #36

I have backed up a few feet with a vehicle on a tow dolly. Now that I'm flat towing if I ever get into the situation again I'll probably give it shot if the toad is reasonably straight. I'll have the wife in the toad to keep the wheels in line like some have suggested.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #37

So there you have it. The definitive answer, or maybe not. There are those that say it can't be done, shouldn't be done and they won't even consider it.

There are those that say It can be done, could be done and has been done.

So, what's the answer? Kind of like playing Craps. You step up to the rail, roll the dice and takes your chances.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #38

No, you take the time and effort to LEARN how to do it, if you want to be able to do it. It's a skill, not an ability you were borne with.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #39

Quote:
If backing up a toad with the coach will damage the tow bar then you should never put on the brakes while towing, it's the same dynamic loading being applied.

I would agree as long as the front wheels are pointing in the same direction as the vehicle is moving. If the wheels turn all the way to the locks it is a different matter and side loads will be imposed that wouldn't be there when stopping.

Just my 2c.

Steve
Old 04-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #40

I didn't know there were so many structural engineers on this forum who can state definitively that no damage has occurred to the tow bar or toad. I see a lot of RVers out there who seem to disregard all kinds of recommendation and regulations, that opinions on forums are hard to accept. Sorry if I stepped on someones toes but ignoring manufacturers recommendation whether tire pressure, use of equipment or the use of supplemental braking, is not a good idea for you or those around you. At any rate, in my opinion, anything more than a couple feet is foolhardy and then only if the toad and coach are straight. Unhooking would still be the preferred method though. Just my opinion and to that I'm entitled and yes I can be as lazy as the next person at times.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #41

Seems to me that all instructions (rules for operation) are written for the least experienced, least skilled, least knowledgeable, most timid people so as to keep the manufacturers legal department from being overtaxed. If you've read and followed every single caution, warning, and note in all instructions, have obeyed every single traffic sign both regulatory and advisory, and never rolled through a stop sign at 2AM on a country road where you can see for 5 miles in every direction, you definitely need to follow the directions manufacturers put out about backing with a 4 down toad. If you want to learn more about your rig, become more skilled in driving and parking it, and want to be able to do more than just the minimum, you might try to understand what all these NO-NO's really mean and why they're there. Then you can make an intelligent, informed decision on what to do and how to react in a situation not specifically covered by the instructions.

I definitely fall into the latter category. I, IN NO WAY, find fault or problem with those who choose to follow the instructions to the letter. I do find fault with those who try to put me and others into that former category when I know and have done repeatedly what the directions advise (or order) against. Do it your way, but let me do it my way as long as I'm not directly hurting you.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #42

Never tried it, but I have a question... Could you back up safely if someone was sitting in the toad, steering it?

The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote