Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

Saw dinghy back up

two weeks ago in a rest area along sb i-5 at south of ashland, or, a class a motorhome towing a car 4-wheel-down stopped at a few feet behind a 18 wheeler in a totem parking lot. i was right at his side but cross the center lane. after the driver came back from restroom, he realized he was too close to the truck in front, and no way to get out directly. he backed up about 3-4 feet, then took off.

i was stunned with just a "wow" ... does anyone here do the same?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
two weeks ago in a rest area along sb i-5 at south of ashland, or, a class a motorhome towing a car 4-wheel-down stopped at a few feet behind a 18 wheeler in a totem parking lot. i was right at his side but cross the center lane. after the driver came back from restroom, he realized he was too close to the truck in front, and no way to get out directly. he backed up about 3-4 feet, then took off.

i was stunned with just a "wow" ... does anyone here do the same?
I have done this a couple times but, only in a straight line with DW in the seat to keep the wheels straight and only on level ground. Sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Not a big deal.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #3

I have, but only if the dinghy and mh are in a straight line, and I go Very slow. And no more than a few feet.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #4

Saw dinghy back up

I don't risk my hardware. Unhook/rehook is only a small chunk of time against a large chunk of change and downtime.
Smart via wisdom vs unfortunate damage I have witnessed post-event.
No risk = no damage.
Just my view from the saddle

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #5

You can probably get away with it a few times if it's only a short distance. However, the one time you don't get away with it, you'll be replacing some very expensive hardware.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There was an extensive long thread here a few months ago on this topic. Pretty much the same expressed as here today.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I have done this a couple times but, only in a straight line with DW in the seat to keep the wheels straight and only on level ground. Sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Not a big deal.
Yep, me too.

My wife usually walks along beside the toad with her arm through the window so she can see the front wheels. I go very slowly and pull up and start over if I need to. I've gone 20-30 feet this way before. The longest was at Cheyenne WY near the junction of 80 and 25 on a dark winter night while trying to find a spot to park for the night. I thought I was just driving around a building but was actually going into a fast food drive through. I was committed before I realized what I was doing and that the camper couldn't fit under the thing that went across over the road. About the only choice was to back up.

It is definitely hard on everything attaching it to the camper. I think it helps to have a toad that is light. Our Tracker is only about 2300 lbs.

Steve
Old 04-10-2016, 11:15 PM   #8

thanks everyone for the replies. i missed the other discussion so made this redundant... i was kinda amused when i was watching it... of course we know what is supposed to and what's not
Old 04-10-2016, 11:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I don't risk my hardware. Unhook/rehook is only a small chunk of time against a large chunk of change and downtime.
Smart via wisdom vs unfortunate damage I have witnessed post-event.
No risk = no damage.
Just my view from the saddle

Dave, when you say you witnessed the post event, what exactly did you see?

Not saying your wrong. When I think about this statement, I believe the worst thing that can happen is the toad becomes jackknifed and of course resulting in bent arms.
However, if it is in a straight line, the pressure on the pins should not be any greater than a normal locked turn while pulling. The inside pin is subject to a lot of pressure in compression during a turn.
So, IMO of course, if the pressure on the pins is equal during the backing procedure by keeping the toad and coach in a straight line, it should be no different and possibly even less compression pressure.
Of course if the toad wheels turn and allows the toad to turn, or, you attempt to back up with the toad already at an angle, all bets are off. Only bad things can happen at this point.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:16 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
In 1992 I bought a B2300 Mazda truck for a toad. It was so nice Not to have to drive the motorhome everywhere. In the 24 years, I have pulled too far past the fuel pump and had to back up 6 or 8 times. The first two or three times I had my wife jump out and watch the wheels on the toad. Now I just back up if it is only three or four feet. As long as you are in a straight line, it will take several feet for the wheels to cross on the toad.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:51 AM   #11
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, not a big deal - for ME, but may be for YOU - caveats.

BEWARE - Most tow bar manufactures say NO. They then follow this with a sentence that says "you could jackknife the TOAD and damage the tow bar equipment". Yes, this is 100% true. If you jackknife the TOAD, I guarantee you will probably screw up the bar.

I also guarantee that if you ever take your tow bar in for any work, and you tell them you've backed up with the tow bar, they probably won't touch it (I wouldn't if I were them)

If you back up, you are on your own. If you're not able to learn the capabilities, or do not have a good handle on the risks and what you must do to mitigate them, then don't back up. Stay in your comfort zone, take the time, disconnect, and don't back up using the tow bar.

With all that said:

Its not a big deal - I've parallel parked pushing the toad backward, backed into camping and truck parking spots backing up. Anything you can do with a trailer, I can do with the toad, its nothing more than a trailer that has swiveling front wheels.

The tow bar doesn't know the difference between an RV pushing backwards, or the TOAD pushing forward.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #12

I had to do it once while crossing into Canada at Sweetgrass,Couts. I pulled under the overhang and had two windows to choose from since no-one was at either. Of course I chose the wrong one, and rather than walking over to the window where I was, the border guy says....BACK UP! Luckily there were no cars behind me when I backed up verrrry carefully.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #13

Backing an RV with toad attached is a skill, not magic. Despite all the gloom and doom posts and warnings of disaster, for those willing to learn how to do it, it can be learned and used when necessary. My longest backup has been in the neighborhood of 100-200 feet when I got to a cul-de-sac that did not allow a U-turn. If you want to learn, go to a wide open shopping center and start small. 2-3' at first and more as you get better. A spotter is needed to tell you if your toad steer wheels go to the stops. Again, it's a skill that some are willing to learn and others are not. Your choice.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #14

Saw dinghy back up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Backing an RV with toad attached is a skill, not magic. Despite all the gloom and doom posts and warnings of disaster, for those willing to learn how to do it, it can be learned and used when necessary. My longest backup has been in the neighborhood of 100-200 feet when I got to a cul-de-sac that did not allow a U-turn. If you want to learn, go to a wide open shopping center and start small. 2-3' at first and more as you get better. A spotter is needed to tell you if your toad steer wheels go to the stops. Again, it's a skill that some are willing to learn and others are not. Your choice.

Waiting for an instruction/demonstration video from anyone.
On my former toad, a Saturn, the wheels would turn to the locks in about 2 feet no matter what. No practice or even luck making that one back up. Totally futile. Anyone been able to "skill" a Saturn.
The damage I saw, post event, was mostly bent arms, and one broken at the MH that punctured the rear radiator.
Amazing how folks hate tiny bits of effort and the devil of "waisted time". Kind of like sitting the recliner and raising all of the electric shades, only to have to (UGH) stand up to open each window. Oh the humanity!
My StowMaster unhooks and folds in seconds (with cables, etc), re-attaches in the same.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote