Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Scam Alert

I was searching for a possible toad topurchase and ran across an ad on the internet for a 1998 Jeep Wrangler that looked promising. Since there was only one picture of the Jeep with the hood raised, I e-mailed the owner with a request for more pictures. He responded a few days later apologizing for not getting back to me earlier. He posted a link to a picture web site which did show about 21 pictures of the jeep. He said that he was going to ship out to Afghanistan on Feb. 21st and that he wanted $4,300 and no less for the Jeep. He said that he could ship it free to any military base.

I replied that I wanted to see it and asked where I could inspect the vehilce. I stated that I would drive the two hours to San Antonio where he said that he was based. I included my phone number and said that I could meet him the next day. Well, when I said that I wanted to see it in person, he never contacted me again.

I am sure that this was a scam. So I am passing this along with the caution that applies to shopping on-line-- "buyer beware".

James and Sharon
and Lab/Golden Retriever "Dolly"
2004 Allegro Bay 37 DB; 2015 GMC Canyon LT Crew Cab 4x4
mapbrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
And why are you so sure it was a scam? He's shipping out so he has a lot of things to do. Maybe someone else bought it and he doesn't have the time to get back to you.

You always have to be careful online but not everything is a scam.

MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Has all the markings of a scam. Out of the country, going out of country, item is in another city/state, can ship for free.
Don't know what a Jeep of that year is selling for but if the price is in line, it could be on the up since most of the scam items are way below the going price.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
I’ve ran into so many scams on Craig's List, always a sob story or in military leaving the country. Be careful, most want to send the vehicle to you for you to inspect, just need a little money upfront. Big No No.
Loving My RV
2005 Dolphin 6355 LX W24
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
It is a SCAM, stay away. The government does not ship vehicles to "any" base for free. I'll bet this "deal" was on Craigslist. I've seen this before. Beware.
Bob & Jody, Ross, Ryan and Madison.
Pumpkin, Hurricane, MaggieMay, Oreo and Goldie.
If the weather were this nice all of the time, everbody would live here...
Dread58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Military does not ship POV's in CONUS, only to overseas locations, and then it is selective on what it ships. It has to meet the foreign countries regulations, so to speak. The owner may have to agree to retrofit it once it has arrived.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I responded to at least 5 different postings in 5 different cities when looking for a Segway ($4,000-$5,000 range, not bargains). All had the same story of free shipping to a base. EVERY time I asked to meet & inspect there was always an excuse or no response.....YES, this is a scam.
2008 National Pacifica 40D DP, 4 slides, 1 1/2 baths; 2007 Honda Odyssey & 2 Segways
FMCA #F415856 & Thousand Trails Elite
Right, left, straight, or stay....decision of the day
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
was it craigslist?

Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote