Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #1

scooter

wont to carry a 650 burgman scooter on back nof my 2013 26 foot vista what do i buy
bblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I don't know if you can carry a scooter on the back of a Vista. You have to check the weight of the Scooter and the weight that the hitch is rated at.

If the scooter weighs more than 5000 lbs and the hitch is rated at 3000 lbs then you are in trouble.

They do make racks that plug into the receiver for motor cycles but they are mainly for big rigs I think.

You may also check in Camping World or a motorcycle place about a rack but first find out the weights.

Enjoy!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblack View Post
wont to carry a 650 burgman scooter on back nof my 2013 26 foot vista what do i buy
There are several racks available from simple manuals to hydralics, google it "scooter / motorcycle carriers".

You will be limited by total weight on the hitch, my guess is the Burgman may be a little heavy for your hitch and rig.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #4

I think that you are out of luck. I know the Burgman weighs more than my Kymco 500 and it weighs 450 lbs. Combine that with the weight of the rack and it's way too much weight hanging there on the back of the rv. With your rv you would be better off towing it on or in a trailer. Don't forget it's not just the weight that is directly on the hitch. You have that plus additional weight that is added to the rear axle due to the leverage effect. I saw this formula for calculating the extra weight on the rear axle from another rv forum post:

"Easy calculation..... you need to have 2 measurements:

"a" = distance from center of rear axle to center of ball on hitch extension

"b" = Distance from center of front axle to center of rear axle (i.e. wheel base).

Then you calculate both the wieght that will be reduced on the front axle, and the added weight to the rear axle.

Front axle wieght is REDUCED by:

= (Hitch Wieght X a) / b

Rear axle wieght is INCREASED by:

= ((Hitch Wieght X a) / b) + Hitch Wieght

For example, if I were to add 670 lbs on a 28-inch extension on my truck with a rear axle to hitch distance (a) of 76-inches and a wheelbase (b) of 168-inches

= (Hitch Wieght X a) / b
= (670 lbs x 76-inches) / 168-inches
= 303 lbs

= ((670 lbs x 76-inches) / 168-inches) + 670 lbs
= 303 lbs + 670 lbs
= 973 lbs"
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd48 View Post
I think that you are out of luck. I know the Burgman weighs more than my Kymco 500 and it weighs 450 lbs. Combine that with the weight of the rack and it's way too much weight hanging there on the back of the rv. With your rv you would be better off towing it on or in a trailer. Don't forget it's not just the weight that is directly on the hitch. You have that plus additional weight that is added to the rear axle due to the leverage effect. I saw this formula for calculating the extra weight on the rear axle from another rv forum post:

"Easy calculation..... you need to have 2 measurements:

"a" = distance from center of rear axle to center of ball on hitch extension

"b" = Distance from center of front axle to center of rear axle (i.e. wheel base).

Then you calculate both the wieght that will be reduced on the front axle, and the added weight to the rear axle.

= (Hitch Wieght X a) / b

For example, if I were to add 670 lbs on a 28-inch extension on my truck with a rear axle to hitch distance (a) of 76-inches and a wheelbase (b) of 168-inches

= (Hitch Wieght X a) / b
= (670 lbs x 76-inches) / 168-inches
= 303 lbs

= ((670 lbs x 76-inches) / 168-inches) + 670 lbs
= 303 lbs + 670 lbs
= 973 lbs"
I would have to agree, I Have seen several MH at Daytona with harleys but had them on a trailers.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Well, the Vista 26 is rated to carry 500 lbs of tongue weight on the hitch, so as long as the Bergman and its rack doesn't exceed that, I would say "OK". But I suspect it may be more than that...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i had a burgman previously before i got my Goldwing and looked at these lifts and carriers. here is a link to the BlueOx web site that shows you how to determine how much weight you are really adding to that rear end.

http://www.blueox.us/Uploads/Docs/ca...alculation.pdf

bob
Old 10-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Well, the Vista 26 is rated to carry 500 lbs of tongue weight on the hitch, so as long as the Bergman and its rack doesn't exceed that, I would say "OK". But I suspect it may be more than that...
As I said in my post it's not just the hitch weight that matters. Depending on the rv's wheelbase and rear overhang you may be adding 800-1000 lbs on the rear axle which may overload the axle and/or tires.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Probably not applicable to a 26' coach but I'm using the Hydralift.
Home Page - Hydralift-USA

JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As I said in my post it's not just the hitch weight that matters. Depending on the rv's wheelbase and rear overhang you may be adding 800-1000 lbs on the rear axle which may overload the axle and/or tires.
My point is the opposite: if the motorhome is rated to carry 500 lbs on the hitch, then it can handle 500 lbs anywhere at the rear without overloading the axle or tires (at least not by itself). Whether that 500 lbs is trailer tongue weight or a Bergman makes no material difference.

That said, he still has to make sure the combined weight of the Bergman and everything else carried in or on the coach does not cause it to exceed axle and tire ratings or the GVWR.

The bad news is that the factory spec dry weight of a Bergman 650 is 537 lbs, so it is over the receiver limit right from the git-go. The Bergman 400 is 489 lbs, still right at the limit. I think it's a No Go.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
My point is the opposite: if the motorhome is rated to carry 500 lbs on the hitch, then it can handle 500 lbs anywhere at the rear without overloading the axle or tires (at least not by itself). Whether that 500 lbs is trailer tongue weight or a Bergman makes no material difference.

That said, he still has to make sure the combined weight of the Bergman and everything else carried in or on the coach does not cause it to exceed axle and tire ratings or the GVWR.

The bad news is that the factory spec dry weight of a Bergman 650 is 537 lbs, so it is over the receiver limit right from the git-go. The Bergman 400 is 489 lbs, still right at the limit. I think it's a No Go.
The link to Blue Ox in post# 7 is good reading. Take a look. I understand what you are saying and I'm not saying that you cannot do it but you should use the formula to see how much extra weight you are putting on the rear axle. In my case my 450lb scooter would be adding over 900lbs to the axle which was too much extra weight for me on my gas rig. So yes you can put 500lbs on the hitch but do you really want to? It really depends on each individual's setup and as always we here are just offering opinions aren't we?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
GCWR (lbs.) 23,000 GVWR (lbs.) 16,000 GAWR - Front (lbs.) 6,500 GAWR - Rear (lbs.) 11,000 Wheelbase 158"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
as in the Blue Ox formula, you also nede to add the weight of the carrier. i know when i looked at my burgman, weighing less than 500lbs, the actual weight put on the rear axle was over 1500 lbs, withing my rear axle limit. id did have the 4pt weigh done to see where i was actually at after we had it loaded. now with the Goldwing, the numbers go high. the bike weighs 800, carrier about 300, but it adds 2250 to my rear axle. which puts me right at my max axle allowance. so there is alot more than just the hitch rating. just my 2 cents worth...

bob
Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was considering a carry rack with a lighter scooter until I took a good look at the frame extension on my F53 to accomadate the 33 1/2 foot MH.