Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Scooter?

We have a 1500 Dodge Ram and originally wanted to put a golf cart in it for use when we are at a campground for any length of time. Well, that's not going to work - so now we are thinking of buying scooters. Anyone haul scooters in the back of a 1500 Ram? And are campgrounds ok with scooters? We are thinking of just the 50cc type or maybe 150 cc. Thoughts???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
How about a couple of nice used Segway's Dan?
segway | eBay don't take up much room....

Not much maintenance........and would be allowed in all parks/resorts as a lot of places have restrictions on cycles/scooters........
Just a thought.......

Old 03-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I think scooters will be OK. You may have to wear some protective gear but IMO you should anyway.

If it is just around the RV park why not consider bicycles or electric assist bicycles?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I think scooters will be OK. You may have to wear some protective gear but IMO you should anyway.

If it is just around the RV park why not consider bicycles or electric assist bicycles?
The thought is to take them to explore the area as well .... and basically, my husband wants one! But, if lots of RV parks won't allow them, then guess we need to rethink it.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
The thought is to take them to explore the area as well .... and basically, my husband wants one! But, if lots of RV parks won't allow them, then guess we need to rethink it.
Debbie,
First off, a "Scooter" can mean many different things to many folks. As you've stated, it may mean, a 50 cc or, 150 cc. Scooters can be represented in CC classes of up to around 250cc. So, you'll have to determine just what size you're thinking of going to. A word of wisdom here, the larger the CC, the more power you'll have for any given situation.

And that may include heavier traffic type situations around campgrounds, county streets, country roads, anything that you may venture out on, outside of the camping areas, all to within your personal limits of speed and travel distances.

Now, as for campgrounds that may or, may not authorize "Scooters" of any type, of the many, many we've used in many states across the U.S., we've found NONE that prohibit the use of scooters. Now, many do not authorize or, actually prohibit the use of ANY off road type mechanisms, i.e. Quads, Razors, Side by Sides, and things like that.

You won't have any troubles in that department. Now, as for loading and unloading them, well, that's going to be something that you and your Huz will want to decide and work with. There are some pretty strong ramps on the market out there. Yow want to be safe as can be, when loading and un loading. Tying them down is another small dilemma. Most of the time, it's not a big deal but, you do need to check with dealer that's selling you your units to see how they recommend tie-down for transport.

Having a couple of scooters to goof around with while on trips is a fun way to go. The independence is really nice. One of the issues you may need to check on, if you haven't already is, the need for any type of amendment to your present drivers license for "M/C" or, Motor Scooter" endorsements. Some states have different opinions on what's a "Scooter" and what's not.

And, that means they also determine if a license is required or not. Hope some of this info is helpful. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
How about a couple of nice used Segway's Dan?
segway | eBay don't take up much room....

Not much maintenance........and would be allowed in all parks/resorts as a lot of places have restrictions on cycles/scooters........
Just a thought.......
Believe it or not, some places are VERY picky about Segways too. They will not let you ride them in Oregon State Parls, fo example, because the throw them in room the scooter class (not trails or roadways).

I think I it is a great option for up to about 5 miles each way on safe roads or bike trails. They weigh in at about 100 lbs but ramps work.

I love mine and always take it along. Going to ride it in a parade today.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks and at this point we are looking at just the 50 cc version. Have no desire to "go fast" ... and probably not too far either! Just something fun to go to check out towns and go to the beach on .. something like that. Might go up to a 150 cc in case we wanted to ride it on the main road somewhere. We are in the beginning investigation stage. Guess if a campground won't allow them, we can leave them in the back of the truck. Will two fit back there?
Old 03-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Dave & I have the below & they're great. They're called SuperScooters. They fold down & can fit in the back of our Jeep. We originally purchased the 1500 models, but they were too touchy on the throttle, so we traded & got the 1000 models. They go plenty fast & have a long battery life. We zipped around for days at Ocean Lakes CG (Myrtle Beach) on them. They're also great for tooling around a state park campground.

Lori-

P.S. OL doesn't allow gas powered scooters, but since ours were electric we could use them no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	88753  
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #9

Best idea is to just drive truck and not have to worry about being run over on a under powered scooter. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
I would ask if you have any two wheel experience first before considering scooters. They are not like a bicycle. Check with you state of residency on the driver license issue.
Two scooters will easily fit in the back of a standard PU. They are great to get around on. I would consider a 150cc or larger for those times you might want to get there a little faster or up a hill. A 50cc is usually limited to 30mph and slow to get there.
Even though it is a scooter ATGATT ( All The Gear All The Time) you just never know when someone in a car will do something stupid.
We are 1/2 timing with motorcycles and have only been to one campground that said no motorcycles. Even though ours are quite and generally do not disturb any one. There loss, went to another campground for two months with no complaints.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
If you get a "scooter" it will likely have to be licensed. If it is road legal it will be highly unlikely to be banned in any campground.

The small ones may or may not be safe depending upon how you see using them. If you are running around on local roads you should be able to do a reasonable speed. The worst thing is people who are in a hurry and want to pass. We had a fellow in our park who was run off of the road by a motorist.

IMO anything you take on the road should be able to do the speed limit. Not necessary that you ride it that fast but there may be situations. Just my opinion! I ride an 1800 and have observed many drivers who do not seem to realize there is a motorcycle on the road, at least they do not act like it.

If you purchase scooters I recommend you take a riding course. They will inform you of the risks and measures to take to be seen.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
I would ask if you have any two wheel experience first before considering scooters. They are not like a bicycle. Check with you state of residency on the driver license issue.
Two scooters will easily fit in the back of a standard PU. They are great to get around on. I would consider a 150cc or larger for those times you might want to get there a little faster or up a hill. A 50cc is usually limited to 30mph and slow to get there.
Even though it is a scooter ATGATT ( All The Gear All The Time) you just never know when someone in a car will do something stupid.
We are 1/2 timing with motorcycles and have only been to one campground that said no motorcycles. Even though ours are quite and generally do not disturb any one. There loss, went to another campground for two months with no complaints.
GWRRA?
Old 03-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
No, we don't have any two wheel experience at all. A friend of ours rents scooters all the time when he's on vacation, and says it's a hoot. But, no, we've never even ridden a scooter. But, 4 years ago, we never even drove an RV and now feel fairly comfortable driving ours. (at least as comfortable as I ever want to be-don't want to get too comfortable!)
Old 03-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I will add that if we do this, we will take a motorcycle safety course.

Tags
scooter