Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have done Yellowstone many time, years a go We had a 25' class C. The towed work great in Jackson hole and the Tetons and the first day in YS. Then the head cracked.
Spent the rest of the week touring in the MH. Not to bad as it was only 25' and it was early June. But with the DP I would need a Toad.

Enjoy your trip!

04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #16
Sounds like you are hearing "tow a car" loud and clear. I echo the advice. We have been to many of the sites you will see and wouldn't think of doing it without a car. Particularly Zion and Yellowstone. If you approach Zion from the east there is a tunnel that they have to shut down to oncoming traffic if a big rig wants to pass through, and you don't want to do it. It is curvy inside and you have to stay in the middle to keep from scraping the roof on either side. No thanks.

It is possible to approach Zion from the west where you can take shuttles but even then it is quite a hike from a RV park to the shuttles.

If you plan ahead you can stay in campgrounds or RV parks or Walmarts where you don't have to un-hook your towed vehicle at all. But, as mentioned it is not that big of a deal anyway.

This will be a trip to remember. Enjoy and don't rush it.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I will echo what Don just said. Do not try to go into Zion from the east. The tunnel only has a 13' clearance and that is in the center of the arched roof. It its 1-1/2 miles long and no combination of vehicles over 50' is allowed. A permit is required to go through and they have to shut the tunnel down for one way traffic when an over size goes through.

Come in from the west through Hurricane or Toqueville. There is a very nice RV park right at the entrance of Zion in the town of Springdale named Zion Canyon Campground and RV Resort. A little pricier, but very convenient to the park.

At Bryce Canyon, about your only choice is Ruby's RV park near the entrance of the national park. It is nice and very convenient to the park.

Depending on the time of year, you will need advance reservations (at least a few days ahead) at just about any of the places you have on your list.
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists"
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
Previously '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W22 Workhorse
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #18
Thanks for all of the advise, all very helpful. Good to know the dangers of approaching Zion from the east. I will certainly avoid that that approach.

Its great to be part of this forum.

Thanks so much. Really.

mmccarvill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #19
Enjoy your trip, it sounds great.

My favorite is Bryce, such a wierd thing happened there.

2008 Thor Mandalay Presidio, 400 ISL
RVing since 1974!
Lots of Motorcycles
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:00 AM   #20
Would it matter if it were a short class A? Like 34'?
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #21
We were there last June, stayed at Grisley and rented a car from Hertz, just a few blocks away.
fgerasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #22
You will miss a lot if you don't have a tow. We are in West Yellowstone now but have only done the north loop (in our toad). There are many many places to pull over to see something that are way too small for an RV. We stopped at several turn puts that were just big enough for a couple of cars. Even a few of the bigger turn out had enough cars there would have been no room for an RV.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #23

Carolina Campers
Seeing Yellowstone in a Motorhome

Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
Would it matter if it were a short class A? Like 34'?

I have a 38' and wouldn't leave home without my toad. Even on a short trip, I always use my toad for excursions away from the camp sight. Museums, shopping, seeing friends and family, going somewhere to eat out, etc., etc.

tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just be careful and pay attention to traffic in Yellowstone. You will not believe all the brain surgeons and rocket scientists on the road. They see wildlife and slam on the brakes, jump out and leave doors wide open to take pictures.
stuhly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #25
Newmar Owners Club
In 2012 we did a similar trip in an RV Caravan. We stayed in West Yellowstone at Grizzly RV Park. The trip was an adventure as we had to travel thru Yellowstone to get to the park, couldn't stop anywhere along the way. Definitely take a car. We then we traveled north to Glacier, it was a trip to remember

2003Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #26
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just back from YS and Grand Tetons and I would not have been the same with out our Wrangler. YS parking is not set up for large motorhomes. Lots of side roads with a lot to see that you can't do in a motorhome. Take the toad, you won't be sorry. Was our best trip so far.
Rick and Patty
2006 Holiday Rambler 30PDD,Sani-Con,Sumo Solo Springs,5 Star,Radio Labs,
MagneShade,Progressive Surge Protector,EEZRV TPMS,2009 Jeep Wrangler
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #27
Take the Toad as a motorhome just doesn't fit in the turnout, vistas and wildlife viewing. It is a stunning place with lots of places you will really want to get out and experience but you won't fit the way the park is setup.
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #28
I've never been to Yellowstone, but I have been to Bryce and Arches. We saw Arches in a rented 28' C and I would have preferred to have had a car. Now that I have my own 34' A I wouldn't try it. When we went to Bryce we didn't have an RV, I can't imagine doing the trip around Bryce and trying to park in all the turnouts with an RV of any size. I think you'd miss a lot.

So, even though it's not needed at this stage, I'm another vote for towing a car.

Johnp292 is offline   Reply With Quote