Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #1

Seeking Help with Selecting Tow Bars/Brake System

Hi Folks,
I have been doing research on equipping our 2008 Bounder Diesel Pusher 38V for Towing a Toad. Of course neither of our two current vehicles can be flat towed, so..... today purchased an 11 Lincoln MKX.
I have been doing some research and since we also need a supplemental brake system, several other forums seemed to be consistant in recommending the Ready Brake system tow bar and brake system.
Seems like pricing is similar among brands and appears that I can get the towbar system with braking and base plate installed for about $2k.

Would there be any other recommendations or comments about experience with this brand ie, ease of hook up, any failures, realiability etc.

Any info of course is appreciated.

Ciao for now. Thanks for your comments.
BigDogSolo
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
BigDogSolo,
In response to your question about tow bar and supplimental brake system. I currently have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty 38 ft, and prior to that a 1995 34 ft Monaco Dynasty, and after I purchased the 95 Dynasty, back in 2000, I purchased a Blue OX model Aventa tow bar with Blue Ox base plates for the toad vehicel (2001 GMC Jimmy & 2008 GMC Envoy) and a US Gear UTB-1000 braking system.

I must say that each of these have far exceeded my expectations and I couldn't be happier with the systems I purchased. They have worked flawlessly and provided me with worry free, peace of mind travels and I am using the same system today as I acquired back in 2000, even though the brake system has been transferred from the 2001 GMC Jimmy to the 2008 GMC Envoy and from the 1995 to the 2001 Monaco Dynasty.

Hope this helps in your quest of obtaining a quality and reliable tow bar and brake system that fits your requirements.

Good Luck and Happy RV'g.

Jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I'm real happy with my Roadmaster Sterling and my SMI Air Force One brake system.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RoadMaster Sterling and RoadMaster Brakemaster when we towed four down. Now using the Demco KK-460 that Honda bought us!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Blue Ox Aventa and a US Gear UTB system. Using both for 5 years no problems.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Roadmaster all terrain tow bar and a M&G brake system. Over 100,000 towing miles on the '00 Jeep GC and zero problems.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #7

Blue Ox towed plate, tow bar, and their Patriot braking system, added lights in rear lens to minimize towed battery draw...
Whatever you decide on, make sure the MH hitch and towed hitch are same height when on level ground.... ( tow bar level +/- an inch or two)
Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Blue OX base plates, Ready Brake/brute tow bar.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Roadmaster All Terrain with Roadmaster Brakemaster, 60k without a problem. It is easy to hook up but after my first coil cord didn't coil anymore after 15k I added a bungee cord thru the middle of the new one and I haven't replaced it again.
Buford B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #10

Thanks for all of the responses and the help.
It seems like therer are as many choices as are motorhomes......

I decided to go with a Blue Ox Aventa Bar and Baseplate with a Brake Buddy because its just easy and pretty simple.

Ciao for now.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #11

Good luck with your choice. We had our system installed last week went with a Roadmaster system. I read through a lot of threads and decided to go to a shop that we trusted and ask them. When the guy asked how we used the MH and the toad he put a system together that I hope works well. They where priced fair and the instal looks good. So I guess my advice is find a good installer and trust there judgement and experience .Not sure that would work for guys that install there own stuff but I can't do that anymore.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Using Blue Ox Aventa Bar and Baseplate with RVI brake on 2012 F150 4x4. 1st trip of 3600+ miles...... no problems.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #13

Mixed info for you here. Have been towing '00 jeep wrangler with Roadmaster Stowmaster vehicle mounted setup with Roadmaster EvenBrake for the last three years. We just purchased a new toad last week, a '12 Jeep Liberty. Will be switching to a MH mounted Blue Ox Aventa tow bar w/ Blue Ox base plate. Will be transferring the EvenBrake over to new vehicle. Was real happy with Stowmaster setup, but wanted to maintain a clean look on the Liberty and found a great buy locally on a used blue Ox bar. Sounds like you have made a choice on a good setup.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
Good luck with your choice. We had our system installed last week went with a Roadmaster system. I read through a lot of threads and decided to go to a shop that we trusted and ask them. When the guy asked how we used the MH and the toad he put a system together that I hope works well. They where priced fair and the instal looks good. So I guess my advice is find a good installer and trust there judgement and experience .Not sure that would work for guys that install there own stuff but I can't do that anymore.
Phil, I think the last part of your statement is pretty important and I agree. This is one task that is not for me a do it yourself job. And I relied on folks that have the experience and can offer any system. Of course many have their preferences....and there reasons are as valid for them as mine are for me.
I think the bottom line is ....there are many different brands that are well built and function similiarly. Getting them installed properly is very important and the test is ....funtion over time. So "let the Times begin".

Thanks