Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #1

Seeking input for a Toad

Seriously thinking about buy a 30ish’ class A RV powered with the Ford V10
Looking for recommendations and information about reasonable choices.
What are you folks towing? TIA
Geezer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
Seriously thinking about buy a 30ish’ class A RV powered with the Ford V10
Looking for recommendations and information about reasonable choices.
What are you folks towing? TIA
There are fewer and fewer choices as the years go on.

I just bought a Ford Taurus SHO (man this thing is fast), which I will be towing. I like my nice cars, so I was limited on what I could get. I really wanted the KIA Stinger, but like many cars..could not be towed 4 down.

I'm assuming you want to tow 4 down. Most Fords can be. Most imports can not.

Obviously, Jeep is a popular choice. for reference, REMCO has a great site that you can plug any make of car and it will tell you if you can tow it.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #3

We like our jeeps. Just make sure they have the proper equipment.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
There are fewer and fewer choices as the years go on.

I just bought a Ford Taurus SHO (man this thing is fast). I like my nice cars, so I was limited on what I could get. I really wanted the KIA Stinger, but like many cars..could not be towed 4 down.

I'm assuming you want to tow 4 down. Most Fords can be. Most imports can not.

Well that's an answer full of inaccuracies. Many GM vehicles and imports can be towed 4 down and the number of automatics that can be towed 4 down continues to increase. Used to be if it was an automatic it could not be towed 4 down; not anymore.

Always check the owners manual for the definitive answer on any vehicle you may be considering.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

Towing 4-down Chevy Sonic (automatic). Blue Ox tow bar with brake controller. No need to pull fuses, hook-up and take-off in 5ish minutes.

My power plant is a Ford E450 V10.

Easy tow, neat little get around car, big trunk, and car gets 50 MPG.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Well that's an answer full of inaccuracies. Many GM vehicles and imports can be towed 4 down and the number of automatics that can be towed 4 down continues to increase. Used to be if it was an automatic it could not be towed 4 down; not anymore.

Always check the owners manual for the definitive answer on any vehicle you may be considering.
Well smart-a$$, what part of my post was inaccurate? My post was very accurate. Lord knows I spent countless hours researching (cars WITHOUT modifications) on what could be towed. Even manual transmission cars are becoming fewer and fewer. Gm has FOUR cars that can be flat towed -Sonic, Spark, Cruze and Malibu but only IF it has the 1.5l

No Buicks
No Cadillacs

No Dodges except Durango (with many stipulations)

Honda - just the HRV - but not with the auto

No European

Etc

Again..I was speaking cars, not trucks or SUV's.

Here's your reference for perusal:https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorh...inghyGuide.pdf
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We towed a 2016 Jeep Trailhawk cross country behind a 33' Class A gasser and it towed great and without issues. It actually towed much better than our previous VW New Beetle. The Trailhawk did require an additional fuse and switch but Jeep has the kit needed and we used a Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar. We also towed a 1995 Geo Tracker behind the same coach for awhile as well, no issues.

Clay & Marcy
2004 Winnebago Adv. G35U
, 1995 Tracker Toad, RVI3, eeZRV, Garmin RV 770 LMT-S, Viair
CEParosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I have a 30' MH with the V10 and tow a Ford C-Max with Roadmaster towbar and Invis-a-Brake. The only way I know the car is back there is the camera or when I brake as the braking action of the car is set a little too firm right now. The car is surprisingly roomy on the interior and has been a great car for exploring or going out for supplies. Just came back from a week in New England and the car got a real workout with day trips to Newport, Boston, and all of Rhode Island. The car averages 45+ MPG. Mounting the tow plate and installing the brake system was rather intense, but worth the effort. I considered a Jeep, but they were all too pricey for a car that I won't be using as my everyday driver. Because of the investment in all the towing gear, my plan is to limit the use of the C-Max to only RV trips. I previously used a tow dolly, but the convenience of flat towing cannot be overstated. The dolly still is in the driveway just in case because it doesn't cost anything to feed it, but I don't see many trips anytime soon for it. Good luck with your selections and hope to see you out there soon!
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #9

Depends on what you want. If you like driving and exploring back country a 4X4. If you dont like that sort of thing a small car. Personally I have a fondness for Suzukis. The Sidekick is cheap, light, reliable as heck. Jeeps are way more expensive, are somewhat reliable, but also heavier.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #10

I tow a 2007 VW New Beetle 5 speed manual. Tows and tracks great and weighs just 3,000#.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #11

We tow a '13 Honda CR-V. We bought it 2 years ago with 48k miles on it and with a complete towing package including a Ready-Brake system for $16k. It is nice as it is AWD so if we are in Michigan for some of the winter it gets around great for the wife as it's her DD. It could be a little more comfortable and have a little less road noise but overall we are happy with it. CR-V's are flat towable up to and including 2014.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #12

Not too many people seem to consider the GCWR of the motorhome. Our Bounder has a 5000 lb hitch but we only have 4000 lbs of toad weight after subtracting the motorhome weight. That can eliminate many vehicles.

The Chevrolet Equinox come in at 3400 lbs and the 6 speed transmission is 4-down towable.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
Well smart-a$$, what part of my post was inaccurate? My post was very accurate. Lord knows I spent countless hours researching (cars WITHOUT modifications) on what could be towed. Even manual transmission cars are becoming fewer and fewer. Gm has FOUR cars that can be flat towed -Sonic, Spark, Cruze and Malibu but only IF it has the 1.5l

No Buicks
No Cadillacs

No Dodges except Durango (with many stipulations)

Honda - just the HRV - but not with the auto

No European

Etc

Again..I was speaking cars, not trucks or SUV's.

Here's your reference for perusal:https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorh...inghyGuide.pdf
The OP was talking TOADS. That does not limit the choice to CARS. Cars (specifically Ford among others) are headed to the dinosaur lot; will no longer be made.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post
I have a 30' MH with the V10 and tow a Ford C-Max with Roadmaster towbar and Invis-a-Brake. The only way I know the car is back there is the camera or when I brake as the braking action of the car is set a little too firm right now. The car is surprisingly roomy on the interior and has been a great car for exploring or going out for supplies. Just came back from a week in New England and the car got a real workout with day trips to Newport, Boston, and all of Rhode Island. The car averages 45+ MPG. Mounting the tow plate and installing the brake system was rather intense, but worth the effort. I considered a Jeep, but they were all too pricey for a car that I won't be using as my everyday driver. Because of the investment in all the towing gear, my plan is to limit the use of the C-Max to only RV trips. I previously used a tow dolly, but the convenience of flat towing cannot be overstated. The dolly still is in the driveway just in case because it doesn't cost anything to feed it, but I don't see many trips anytime soon for it. Good luck with your selections and hope to see you out there soon!
Wow does this sound familiar! We have a Class A V10/F53 and went through the same process. Tried a tow dolly, but that quickly convinced us to get a flat towable car. Looked at Jeeps but they are over priced (my opinion, please don't hate me Jeep fans!) end up with a C-Max energi (plug in hybrid). Makes a great toad. Easy to pull and comfortable to drive. There are lots of options out there and you need to decide how you will be using the toad and then start looking at the ones that will meet your requirements.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad