Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #15

like the others, I installed my Blue Ox myself. For lights I bought the kit that has the extra bulbs and sockets that you install behind your existing tail lamp lenses and then run the wires forward for the motor home to plug into. This keeps things totally separate with no need for diodes and such, you do have to drill a hole into the tail lamp housing and the sockets are held in place with silicone. Took about an hour to install the lights and only a couple of hours for the tow bar.

Phil

workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks for all the comments. From what I am seeing I am more confident in doing the majority of work myself. I like the idea of the Towdaddy lights for electrical. My only concern is the braking system. I am leaning towards the SMI Air Force if I can find it under a grand. Not sure I want to go with a surge system that requires wire and pulley's and drilling into the firewall. Still, we shall see.

GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I'm 71 and have installed 3 on my cars and helped my neighbor install 5. Roadmaster has their instructions online. The others probably do. Check the instructions and decide. Just take your time. It's not difficult.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Honda Fit Lighting Harness - No Cutting - No Splicing - Plug & Play
2007 2013 Honda Fit | eBay
Old 01-04-2014, 02:28 AM   #19
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been working up my package. I will go with the Roadmaster base plate. It is the only one that does not require drilling. There is also a Youtube video of the installation process by eTrailer. Installation of Roadmaster Base Plates on a 2012 Honda Fit - etrailer.com - YouTube So, self install.
I will also stick with the Falcon 2 towbar and the TrailerMate Lighting kit. Self install.

The only item left that needs installation is brakes. I know I can buy one of those portable suitcase brake systems but that still does not cut the cake. I think I am gonna go with the Roadmaster BrakeMaster with Breakaway Switch. Anyone have experience installing one of these?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #20

When I bought my 11 Southwind it had already been setup to tow. I was given all the Roadmaster stuff including the Brake system. The RV end was all done. Now getting it setup to tow a 14 Subaru Forester manual trans. Base plate is around $450. I decided to let an RV shop do it all. 3 so far are around $650 in labor plus diode kit for $99. It seemed reasonable.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #21
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got all my parts ordered this morning. Three different supplier's. Makario's RV, eTrailer and World of RV Parts. This will be a Roadmaster set with the Falcon 2 tow-bar. BrakeMaster #9160 Air/Air over Hydraulic Braking system, RoadMaster Base-plate, plug n play Trailer Mate Custom lighting kit and safety cables for $1700 out the door. I plan on doing all installations, base plate, lighting and brakes with breakaway switch. Great videos online to show how it is done. Thank goodness for You Tube.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #22
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
....and it's now time to do the deed. So far, front end removed and new base plate mounted. Just waiting for by Bro in law to show up with Red Thread locker. Here is a great tip given to me by my neighbor. Yellow wires with red dot means air bag impact sensors. "DO NOT TOUCH!!!!

Tags
install