Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Serrano & CRV Toad? I need help

Hey all you seasoned RV'rs I need help choosing towing and braking equipment.

We recently took delivery of a beautiful new 2011 Serrano 31V on the Workhorse W20 diesel chassis. And now, after much research, we have decided on a 2008 Honda CRV.and the dealership is going to fit it with a new baseplate of my choice as part of the deal.

We never towed before with our old Diplomat as our old car was not flat towable so we have no leftover equipment and are starting afresh.

I would like some advice on new/used towing equipment, ie: is it better to stick with all of one make such as Blue Ox or, are some parts more compatible when mixed? has anyone seen anything for sale at a reasonable price.

What is, in your opinions, are the best operating types for the CRV, bearing in mind that the Serrano does not have air brakes...It has large power assisted Disc Brakes, so I presume it will have to be a surge or pendulum type sensor for the toad unless there is some thing better out there?

What would you choose if you had choices?
Are there other questions we should be asking?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #2

We have towed an 07 CRV since it was new with no problems. We have Blue Ox base plate and tow bars and use a classic Brake Buddy braking system. Ready Brake systems seem to get a lot of favorable comments. I personally would only buy new for base plates and tow bars and would not install them myself. Others feel more comfortable doing it themselves. As far as what is a reasonable price that depends on what you consider reasonable. I was not real interested in skimping a few dollars on something that important.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Check ebay and craigslist for a used tow bar. You might even get lucky and find base plates for a CRV. Generally you want the tow bar and base plates to be the same brand, but Blue Ox and Roadmaster sell adapters for each others tow bars. Demco too.

Toad brakes designed for use with air brake systems can be installed on non-air coaches with an add-on air compressor. The brake companies supply the compressor and wiring, so it's not a jury-rigged deal.

All the brake systems work, but they best ones are more convenient. Ya pays your money and ya takes your choice.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Gary

Looks like you have quite abit of experience with the Acadia. What are your thoughts on towing with 2000 Winnebago journey with 275Hp Cummins, and which brake system? I plan on using Blue Ox tow bar set-up.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
HHg

CRV Towing

UK Gord,

We also have a 2011 Serrano and tow a 2010 CRV. I stayed Blue OX all the way,.....if there is a problem,.....there shouldn't be one manufacturer blaming another manufacturer. You may pay a little more,....but try to put a price on sanity !! By the way,.....have you had as many problems with your Serrano as I have ??
Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everybody for all your comments, As I said before the CRV is being fitted with a new baseplate (Blue Ox) so that part of it is good.

I found a Blue Ox Aventa 2 tow bar on Craigs list close to me in good condition for 180 bucks and it came with safety cables and a clip on rear light set so that will do until I can install lights inside the Toad later on.

After much research and with help from this thread I have decided to go with a permanently mounted brake system because I don't want the bother of fitting & removing a "sustitute drivers foot" machine in the CRV everytime we tow, so, I have ordered the M&G system with a compressor module for the Serrano and also the breakaway option, I just hope this will not affect the Workhorse warranty later on.

All I need to complete all this is, maybe a drop receiver, A wiring kit for the CRV, A coiled connector cable with the vehicle sockets, and maybe some kind of under the RV stone and dirt skirt, I have ordered a front protection "bra" for the CRV but not sure if that will be good enough, Oh well the project carries on!!

To HHg....... Yes we have had (and still have) lots of problems with our Serrano so much so that even though we bought it in May, we have only done 90 miles so far, and that was bringing it home from the dealers service shop.
In fact it is in the Workhorse Shop right now having the fuel sender replaced, We could almost write a book about it all, and don't get me started about the Camping World part of it all !!

By the way we will be going to the Workhorse rally in Dundee OH Aug 1-5 this will be our first trip in this new RV, (I will be carrying my tools and yes, I have all the skills to use them), I just don't see why I should have to !!!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg
UK Gord,

We also have a 2011 Serrano and tow a 2010 CRV. I stayed Blue OX all the way,.....if there is a problem,.....there shouldn't be one manufacturer blaming another manufacturer. You may pay a little more,....but try to put a price on sanity !! By the way,.....have you had as many problems with your Serrano as I have ??
I've also had problems with our Serrano. I highly recommend getting the front seam seal on the roof resealed. The mirrors seems to pull the seam apart. Don't get me started on the driver and passenger windows leaking.

We used a tow dolly to pull my mothers Saturn back to Georgia from Florida (she had to fly back for a family emergency). If I drove over 65, we had very frequent regens. If I kept about 60, regens were much less frequent. So far, we haven't needed to tow a toad on our travels, so we don't bother. The coach is pretty easy to drive. Much easier than our previous Winnebago View.

Even with the problems, we still like the Serrano