Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #1

Set up Flex with 38 ft gasser

Tell me about your setup...
I am also trying to learn cost of set up. Do I save $$ at the super shows?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Took me a second to figure out what you are looking for - I am assuming towing a Ford Flex with a 38 foot gas motorhome. If so here is my story - I got my set up at Camping World and probably would have gotten it cheaper if I shopped around. Mine is on a Jeep Wrangler but the set up is almost the same on all vehicles. First you have to figure what manufacturer you want - I have a Roadmaster All Terrain tow bar and I have Roadmaster mounts on my Jeep. When I got mine I had Camping World install it on my first car. Later I got a Jeep so I bought the mounts for the Jeep and did it my self. I also bought the Roadmaster diode light kit and installed that on the Jeep. All doable if you have the tools and a creeper to get under the vehicle. The Roadmaster instructions are available on their website and contain pictures on what you have to do so you can get a feel if you can do it before purchasing the mounts. Now for today's costs checking etrailer.com the Ford Flex Roadmaster mounts are around $399 and the Roadmaster Towbar is around $590 depending on model. The tow bar should come with a cable to connect your car lights to the RV trailer plug. If not that is another $100 or so. The kit to wire your lights was $99. Next you will need some kind of supplemental braking system. I have RVI2 Brake which was about $1,100 when I got that and you have to hook up the break away safety switch. Installation of the tow bar mounts was around $300 could be more now or for a different vehicle. There maybe other things you might need that has to do with your vehicle and I didn't. The whole thing is not cheap but when you get it working it should be flawless and trouble free for years with very little maintenance.

There are several assumptions here that I should mention - they are the Ford Flex model you have is towable, and your motorhome can tow 5,000 lbs (the flex is very close to 5,000 so you can't put a whole lot of stuff into it).

Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #3

yes.. out toad will be the flex

Thank you for your response..I plan on keeping dog food and xpens in the flex for easy access. This way when we stop for a break easy access thru the back gate of flex.

How reliable our products that are found on craigslist? example: Roadmaster RV Tow Bar - Sterling All Terrain Aluminum

Of course that would be if I could find one that fits my car. I rather be safe than cheap. The cargo inside the bus (my family) is more valuable than saving on our first time set up.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We've towed our AWD Ford Flex for the past two years no problem. We're using a Demco tow bar and base plate, as well as the light wiring kit. Super easy to hook and unhook, Ford says to start every 6 hours and run it through forward and reverse a couple times, as well as not to exceed 65mph. I exceed the 65 mph on occasion with no problems, and do start it and run it thru the gears any time we stop. I have the transmission fluid and filter screen replaced every year and all is well. Randy
Old 12-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

We are towing a 2012 awd ecoboost with a Roadmaster tow bar and base plate.
Using a SMI Airforce One brake. Bought most of the stuff from etrailer.com. Used wire harness from etrailer also. Bought the Air force one from ppl on a special for around $900 much cheaper than direct from SMI. Installed it myself as always. I weighed the Flex and it was 4800.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusT View Post
Tell me about your setup...
I am also trying to learn cost of set up. Do I save $$ at the super shows?
What year Flex? There is a Roadmaster baseplate for sale in the classified section for a 10 to 12 Flex
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I tow a 2013 Ford Flex AWD behind my DS and it's a great toad -- IF you remember to turn off everything after it's all hooked up! I have the Roadmaster gear shown in my sig and it's worked great. Camping World installed it (I don't recommend them, call Roadmaster and ask for a reference to an independent installer near you).

After several dead toad battery situations, I have finally developed a routine: after hooking up, start the toad engine, then make sure the climate control system is turned off, turn the headlight switch to the off position, turn off the radio/entertainment, put transmission in neutral, make sure emergency brake is released, then turn off the engine and leave the car. It may complain about not being in Park, but once you open the door to leave that message will clear as the instrument panel goes off.

And one other thing: if you have the rear seat fridge/freezer option, make sure it is turned completely off! That turned out to be the culprit (I think) for me, as I forgot all about it. Now that I'm disciplined about making sure everything is completely turned off, I haven't had another dead toad battery -- though I do still carry a battery charger just in case. ;-)
ficodek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficodek View Post
I tow a 2013 Ford Flex AWD behind my DS and it's a great toad -- IF you remember to turn off everything after it's all hooked up! I have the Roadmaster gear shown in my sig and it's worked great. Camping World installed it (I don't recommend them, call Roadmaster and ask for a reference to an independent installer near you).

After several dead toad battery situations, I have finally developed a routine: after hooking up, start the toad engine, then make sure the climate control system is turned off, turn the headlight switch to the off position, turn off the radio/entertainment, put transmission in neutral, make sure emergency brake is released, then turn off the engine and leave the car. It may complain about not being in Park, but once you open the door to leave that message will clear as the instrument panel goes off.

And one other thing: if you have the rear seat fridge/freezer option, make sure it is turned completely off! That turned out to be the culprit (I think) for me, as I forgot all about it. Now that I'm disciplined about making sure everything is completely turned off, I haven't had another dead toad battery -- though I do still carry a battery charger just in case. ;-)
It sounds like you must have the push button start, if so the following does not apply. I have the key start and have never had a dead battery. I turn my key past accessory as far as it will go CC and leave it there during towing. I have never tried leaving the key at the acc notch so I don't know if it runs the battery down. I learned about doing this from reading on the internet about others towing the Flex.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
It sounds like you must have the push button start, if so the following does not apply. I have the key start and have never had a dead battery. I turn my key past accessory as far as it will go CC and leave it there during towing. I have never tried leaving the key at the acc notch so I don't know if it runs the battery down. I learned about doing this from reading on the internet about others towing the Flex.
Yes, I have the pushbutton start -- no key. I had to learn the right steps the hard way!
Old 12-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficodek View Post

So you're saying you don't have to have a charge line then? My Flex is keyed and I leave it in neutral with the key shut off as far as it will go and haven't had a dead battery either. I'm thinking of upgrading and the newer one I'm looking at has push button start. Was worried that I might have to do some wiring changes for a charge line, but based on yours I don't? Thanks for your help in advance! Randy
Old 12-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #11

Flex is Dead

Just recently starting experiencing this problem , I have had battery checked and it is good. We have been towing 2014 Flex with no problem behind our Travel Supreme 43 with blue ox tow system . Recent trip to Gulf Coast from Oklahoma with Flex was dead within 200 miles.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
So you're saying you don't have to have a charge line then? My Flex is keyed and I leave it in neutral with the key shut off as far as it will go and haven't had a dead battery either. I'm thinking of upgrading and the newer one I'm looking at has push button start. Was worried that I might have to do some wiring changes for a charge line, but based on yours I don't? Thanks for your help in advance! Randy
You should call Roadmaster and confirm with them, but I can tell you that when I asked about a toad charge device I was told that the Flex did not need it. Good luck!!
Old 12-30-2015, 05:09 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
A charge line is so easy to install and cheap I have one on all our toads we tow or have towed in the last 5 yrs. 2 ea 15 or 20'amp reset fuses a piece of #10 or 12 wire (most cable hook up between the toad and coach has one #12 wire in it )
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #14

Thank you Sirs, for the advise, I will look into a charge line. I am using the first notch back on key when towing, and I have everything turned off.

Tags
gas, toad brake systems, toad setup, toads