Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Setting a new 2018 Elantra Sport for towing

I know this has been asked over and over, but I have not seen my exact car and MH combo, so please don't scold me.

I am just about to pull the trigger on a new 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport with manual transmission and I want to set it up for 4-down towing. I have never towed 4-down only dolly towing. I have a 2017 Winnebago Sunstar 29VE which is a Ford F53 18,000lb chassis.

The towing procedure is to put the car in neutral and the ignition in ACC.

If I understand it correctly I will need to purchase and install following:
Tow Bar for the coach
Base Plate for the car
Braking system for the car
possible a way to keep the car battery charged while towing
Some sort of light kit for brake lights and tail lights.

The goal is to be able to hookup and go as quick and simple as possible.
I will be keeping the car for the long term so a permanently installed brake system seems appropriate. However, I do plan on upgrading to a diesel pusher in a few years.

There seem to be so many choices out there and I don't have enough experience to make a good informed decision about which way to go.

I am pretty handy, but, from what I can tell, it is a pretty involved installation for most of the components. So I think I will want to have it installed. Should I go to an RV dealer to have them do it all? Or should I purchase the components and take it an experienced mechanic?

Thanks,
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I was hoping for some responses to my post, but I have proceeded ahead anyway.
I did go ahead and buy the car yesterday. So I am now pretty much committed to it.

Looking at the Blue Ox site, they list the 2017 Elantra base plate, but not the 2018. But as far as it looks to me the 2 models are the same except for some new safety electronics and other minor changes but nothing to the frame or body. I decided to get some quotes, and was told by one place that he would not do it since it was not approved by Blue Ox to install. Blue Ox said they had not tested the 2018 yet. I was quite disappointed to say the least. I then went to an RV dealer who, found out the same thing, BUT, they said they were willing to install the 2017 base plate, and that Blue Ox sometimes will give them the base plate to install on new models if they will document their procedure and verify that it will work. They called Blue Ox and they indeed will donate the base plate to be installed on my car. I still have to pay for the labor though, but hey, I am still getting a $500 base plate for free.

I also have decided to go with the Auto Stop brake system. It works like a surge brake system and seems to get good reviews.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Try them I've gotten products from them and they seem to know there stuff and had some of the best prices for what I needed... They are not blue ox which was a little confusing to me at first since there page looks like they are B.O.

blueoxtowbars.com/
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RoadMaster used my '05 Ody for a test fitting. Got the bracket, crossbar and interior BrakeMaster brake bracket installed for nothing more than 2 days of letting them have it in their shop.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:18 AM   #5

So am considering same vehicle, 2018 Elantra sport. How has yours turned out?

Thanks in advance,
Gary
libergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:36 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by libergm View Post
So am considering same vehicle, 2018 Elantra sport. How has yours turned out?

Thanks in advance,
Gary
I love mine. I got it because it was about as easy as it gets to hookup and go with the manual transmission. You do not need to leave the key in the ignition, just put in neutral and make sure the parking brake is off.
For me, there was an unexpected bonus. It is a blast to drive! It hugs the corners like nobody's business.
In my opinion it is probably the best tow vehicle out there.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:34 AM   #7

Thanks. What does it look like when the vehicle is discounted and mounts removed? Good I assume?

Thanks
Gary
Old 04-26-2018, 04:32 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by libergm View Post
Thanks. What does it look like when the vehicle is discounted and mounts removed? Good I assume?

Thanks
Gary
It looks ok, but you can definitely tell the plate is there. They had to remove one of the grill bars which I was not too happy about, but I got over it. I will try to take a pic for you.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
It looks ok, but you can definitely tell the plate is there. They had to remove one of the grill bars which I was not too happy about, but I got over it. I will try to take a pic for you.
Here is a pic I took today. Sorry the car is filthy. We just got back from a 2 week trip.
It said I don't have permission to post pictures from my phone. I will get it another way.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:05 AM   #10

Thanks in advance

Obviously you understood disconnected, darn autocorrect

Gary
Old 04-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Let's try this one more time. They removed the bottom grill bar to install the base plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_161131_HDR (Medium).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	200646  
Old 04-28-2018, 04:45 AM   #12

Thanks so much.

Gary
Old 04-28-2018, 04:54 AM   #13

Thanks

Thanks for the photo, did you get someone to install it? What were the final components and what did the cost come to?

Sorry for all the questions but looking exactly the same route.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 04-28-2018, 05:57 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I would recommend having it installed by someone with lots of experience. It is not a simple task. I think mine was around $3500 out the door. That was for baseplate, towbar and brake system. Btw I went with the autostop brake. I would go with Ready Brake if I had to do it again.

Tags
tow, towing