Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Setting for Patriot Brakes

I use the Patriot brake system and wanted to know for people who use this system what setting do you keep the GAIN setting on ?
Goneagain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneagain1 View Post
I use the Patriot brake system and wanted to know for people who use this system what setting do you keep the GAIN setting on ?
I set mine to 3. I have sufficient room in my GVWR to accommodate my Explorer so the brakes on the MH are enough to stop both. I only want the brakes in the toad to be applied for emergency stopping.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #3

When I had the patriot system I started with 5, but figured out it was to high. I then went to 3 until I sold my Saturn and sent the patriot with it.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #4

When I'm towing the CRV, I set the gain at 3. When towing the F-150, I set the gain at 8. I was in city traffic a while back towing the F-150 traveling 45 mph. I was keeping my distance from a car in front of me traveling the same speed. The traffic light turned yellow. The car in front of me could have easily gone through the light but decided to slam on the brakes. I noticed a big push from the F-150. I did get stopped and turned the gain up to 8 while waiting on the light. I've left it there ever since.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Brake setting

I leave mine at 5 towing a Jeep Cherokee.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #6

I leave mine at the default setting 5.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
HHg

I never set mine higher than 3. If you hit the brakes very hard with gain set at 5 or higher.....it will lock your toad tires up....you'll end up with flat areas on your tires !! K-bump, k-bump, k-bump.....

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
I never set mine higher than 3. If you hit the brakes very hard with gain set at 5 or higher.....it will lock your toad tires up....you'll end up with flat areas on your tires !! K-bump, k-bump, k-bump.....

Hhg
No you won't. Been there done that.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I set mine to 3. I have sufficient room in my GVWR to accommodate my [toad] so the brakes on the MH are enough to stop both. I only want the brakes in the toad to be applied for emergency stopping.
X2, but for Wrangler and Cherokee.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes