Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
I have a blue ox tow bar that I have pulled over100,000 miles with over the last 10 years. Never a problem and still works as good as when it was new! I retired it this week after finding a new Aventa on bay for $350! Don't know about any other tow bar but I am sold on my Blue Ox. Just my experience.

2015 Entegra
Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #16
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Janshark View Post
Hi Phil,

I haven't picked out my tow bar yet but I'm going with Air Force One for my braking system. I looked at ReadyBrute... idk - it looks a little mickey mouse to me.

just my opinion
We love our Blue OX Very easy to set up.

2006 Dolphin - 20000Jeep Wrangler

happy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
OK, I have revised my decision. I found a Blue Ox towbar on Craig's list for $400.00 so I bought that. Bought the Blue Ox base plate and the ex and I installed it today. Still have to wire it up. The tow bar is great! I'm looking forward to trying it out.

going to go with the M&G Braking system which I'm going to have installed in the U.S. when I cross the border. Although.... my Jeep weighs in at about 4,000 lbs. and the Beaver weighs about 20 tons... do I really need a braking system? I was more worried about if the Jeep breaks loose but I have cables for that. I think I'll tow it for a bit and see if the Jeep pushes the Beav..
Janshark in a 1991 Beaver Marquis and a Jeep Wrangler (the Beavertail) towed with a Blue Ox Aventa II towbar and M&G aux brake system.
Janshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #18
I have a 2010 HHR and love it. Room to spare inside, good gas mileage at an average of 31mpg. Lite weight and a joy to tow behind my 36 foot Alpine Coach. I used the Blue Ox base plate because of the removable brackets. I then used a Falcon all Terrain Road Master tow bar becasue of the non binding latch releases, the channels for the safety cables, light and brake line ( I also installed the BrakeMaster system) and the storage latch. Roadmaster sells the adapters for the Falcon to Blue Ox which makes hooking up the entire system a matter of minutes.
Did I say I love the HHR. Seating for four with excellent room for all and I can carry my Golf clubs and other items in the spacious rear cargo area.
happycamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:38 AM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
ReadyBrute aux brake system...

Originally Posted by phil bovee View Post
Has anyone used or heard of READY BRUTE tow bars

thks Phil
I research things to death before I buy. We are setting up a toad the day DW retires. Now it is just weekend outings. Anyway, the Ready Brute is the least invasive system. It is also the simplest system. The brake is integrated into the tow bar. No one else has that and it is one of those "why didn't I think of that?" things. Ready Brute also has a wireless transmitter from it to the coach to tell you how it is working. I have read a lot of posts regarding other tow bars and brakes and no other system has made it this simple. Another important thing is that Ready Brute is one of the only systems that complies with the rules for towing my Jeep exactly according to the Jeep manual. I never care to argue with other Jeep owners so I have stopped saying anything when they post info on how they have hooked up. No matter which system they choose, except Ready Brute, it violates the recreational towing rules in the manual in some way.

When DW finally retires we will buy the Ready Brute System, for whatever vehicle we use for a toad, knowing that it is the only tow bar integrated, wireless, non-invasive system on the market.

This is from their site. Compare this to any other aux braking system:

ReadyBrake. It is called ReadyBrute when integrated into the tow bar. It is a surge system. A hydraulic system on the slide receiver (tow bar) uses a cable to pull on the arm of the toad’s brake pedal. A factory set threshold is used to prevent application of the toad’s brakes on minor pressure against the slide from the toad. Monitoring: Application of toad’s brakes is signaled to the coach without wiring.

Adjustments to the system from within the coach: Not required.

Adjustments to the system from within the toad: Not required.

It does not use the toad’s power (vacuum) assist to aid in the application of its brakes!

It does not connect to the brake line!

It does not use the toad’s electrical system!

It has a breakaway system!

It is proportional!

Lifetime Guarantee!
2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Cummins ISB 6.7 Turbo 340HP. Allison 6 Speed. Freightliner XCS. Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5 LRG. SuperSteer MCU. Safe-T-Plus.
azloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #20
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also research things to death before I buy and decided to go with ready brute, and yes it is the least invasive. The surge brake system will activate the brake lights by a cable system attached to the brake pedal assembly of the toad. I already checked my Honda and as with most vehicles the ignition does not need to be on for the brake lights to work. A vacuum supply for the booster is not needed, and a separate electrical system is not needed. I seldom tow at night, but if I do I will turn the parking lights on the toad. I plan on ordering the tow bar/surge brake tomorrow from readybrake.com

'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote