Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Setting Up My Toad

Morning Everyone

First, I want everyone to know how much we appreciate the great advice we get on this site! We are new to RVing and have so much to learn!

We are finally getting ready to set up our tow vehicle. I sold my pickup and bought a 2013 Honda CRV. I plan to order the Roadmaster base plate, the Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain Draw Bar, and the SMI Stay-in-Play braking system. I am pretty comfortable with the Roadmaster purchases but I do not know a lot about the SMI Stay-In-Play braking system.

I would appreciate any input on the braking system and Roadmaster parts. Thanks so much! Frank and Jeannie

CrossCountryMonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

Frank & Jeannie, we have towed our 08 Dodge Dakota crewcab pickup with a roadmaster baseplate and Sterling hitch for 5 years now with no problems. Can't comment on the braking system as we us a M&G system on our truck tied to the air brakes on the bus. We are full timers and have been around the country a few times, so our equipment has gotten a pretty good workout. We started out towing an 05 Chev Trailblazer, with the same hitch, and just changed base plates when we changed vehicles. We got the truck to have room for the inflatable boat and outboard motor. Never know when you might need to fish!! Steve

07 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42QRP
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea eagle 10.6 inflatable
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been using the SMI since 2001 and have only had One problem with it. We upgraded from a 35 ft to a 40 ft and found we needed a larger antenna inside due to the length. Once changed have not had any issues at all. I think its great. We pull the unit out from under the back seat and turn it on. No hassels
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
I have a 2013 CRV with the SMI Stay-in-play. It works flawlessly and is super easy to hook up. Plug in the umbilical cord. Turn the switch on and that's it. The actuating piston does not interfer with your normal foot positions on the brake pedal.
When they install the base plate and light kit, make sure they hook up the charging line from the MH. This way you don't have to pull any fuses.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X3. Love my SMI.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Excel Owners Club
Here is what can happen if you aren't careful. I pull a 5er and don't know much about a mh and toad but this is what happened to a lady who somehow got the brake thing tied up with the accelerator while hooking up. This was 3 years ago in an rv park in Colorado Springs, Co. After barely missing my fifth wheel she careened off a Tundra and totaled it. The guy was not home in the fifth wheel at the time and the lady was not seriously hurt.
It took a crane and a wrecker to get the fifth wheel off the electrical pedestal which was jammed thru the floor.
Not trying to scare you, but things can happen. I think in this incidence the husband probably hadn't explained to the wife the proper procedure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0299.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	35557  
2015 Duramax LTZ 3500 4x4 drw//2013 Excel Winslow RSE//Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger/3-135w solar panels/4-6v trojan T105's/Trimetric/Tristar//B&W 3000//TST tire monitor
TexasTwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your advice and insight. We were happy to read that the SMI braking system works so well. We will get our C-RV all setup and hopefully on the road soon! Frank and Jeannie

CrossCountryMonaco is offline   Reply With Quote