Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you are right. Had I done one of two things the strap could of not been needed. A, move the mounting point of the tailgate bracket, (tough because of the lack of place to drill holes) or B, use a strut with about 1.0" less travel. Because of the way I mounted things, the rod of the strut pinched on the weather seal of the tailgate. Now with the addition of the strap, that problem is gone. Please post a pic of an install. I'd like to see where my engineering went wrong. :-(

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #16
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hey Rick, I don't think there's anything wrong with your engineering. Rather, I think you have implemented a particularly elegant solution. Likely you have seen some of the "hideous" implementations of this strut over on the Jeep forums... especially some of the early ones done last year. (Yuk!)

The "trick", as you mentioned, is in trying to find good solid mounting points and the fasteners that will work well in them. Having benefited from the trials and tribulations of maybe more than a dozen owners implementing a strut, we have a final design that I believe will work well. I'll snap some pics by the weekend and post them up for you to see. Again, I think your design and implementation is just great!

CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I look forward to seeing your work. Always interested in seeing the things that people will invent that Jeep could of done right in the first place. I have a list of them.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #18
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hi Rick,

I hope all is great with you. The product is finally ready to go. Frankly, one of the hardest parts was getting the right fasteners that could easily be installed by the owner and that would work well when mounting in reinforced (double wall)areas. We purposely chose double-wall areas for the highest strength and durability.... and came up with some nice stainless fasteners that work real well. Please note from the pictures that the strut works fine with the gate in the fully-open position. I expect the product to be very popular. Like you, I think it's funny how we lived without this. Take care and drive safe!

CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:09 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Just ordered the Strut. I hope there not all sold out. I ordered it 2 hours after it was posted. I have the harness now and works great and is 100 % Quality. Looks like the strut will be the same.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice. A couple of differences. I mounted my tailgate bracket behind the plastic panel. Not enough sold metal back there but I like the look of hiding the bracket. You adding length to the interior bracket fixed what went wrong with mine when the strut was pinching the weather strip. Nice clean kit, congrats. I hope you sell thousands of them. It really is a nice way to keep the darn door from hitting your behind. Thanks for the pics.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great ad. You should be their salesman.