Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #1

Several Toad options to choose from, which one?

I am considering a couple of different options for toads. First off, I have decided definitively that I will not be towing 4 down.

I am considering:
1. A dolly for an Odyssey
2. A dolly to tow a motorcycle and the Odyssey or Honda Fit
3. An enclosed trailer (27' total length) to tow the motorcycle and a Fit. At this point I am not leaning in any particular direction and am weighing my options.

If I were to choose the trailer option how difficult would it be to find both places to stay as well as gas stations and other travel related stuff with a 35' motorhome towing a 27' trailer. Am I nuts to even consider the trailer?

Thanks,
Barry
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the GCVW of the MH? JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tow a 16' trailer with a 33' motorhome (actually closer to 34') and have had no problems finding campsites or gas stations that we can get into and out of easily. A lot of full hook up sites are sized for the big rigs, like a 45' coach pulling a suburban. So I think if you want to you should go for it.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We need to know about your motorhome that will be towing your toys.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #5

The trailer wouldn't work for us. For starters, we have a hitch that's rated for 5,000lbs. There's no way a trailer like you're describing can stay within that capacity.

Your Odyssey on a dolly might not either?

RV resorts, KOA's and similar can accommodate large rigs easily. State Parks maybe not so easy. So a lot of what you are asking is going to depend on your camping style as well....
Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have used a trailer (total length 57') for the last 7 years and have only had to disconnect it twice for a campsite, never on the road. The trailer has one big advantage over all other ways to tow a toad...you can backup as far as you want. Of the two trips where I towed 4 down I had to disconnect once so I could turn around. If I had been using the trailer I could have simply backed up into a side street...
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our hitch is rated for 6,000#'s, we tow a '05 Ody on a KK-460 dolly with no trouble.

OP: What year Ody are you talking about? The new ones are too wide for the KK-460, in fact our '05 is right at the upper limit of what I'd put on it as the tires ride on the sides of the pans. So far it hasn't caused any damage though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
The trailer wouldn't work for us. For starters, we have a hitch that's rated for 5,000lbs. There's no way a trailer like you're describing can stay within that capacity.

Your Odyssey on a dolly might not either?

RV resorts, KOA's and similar can accommodate large rigs easily. State Parks maybe not so easy. So a lot of what you are asking is going to depend on your camping style as well....
The all aluminum trailer weighs 1850 pounds. The Honda Fit weighs 2650 pounds. The motorcycle weighs a little less than 500 pounds. Grand total is 5000 pounds. The MH is rated for 5000. If I need to beef up the hitch to haul that is what I will do.

The 2011 Honda Odyssey weighs 4650 and the Master Tow dolly I am looking at weighs 600 pounds.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Don't know if this will help, but offered for your information.

When I first started traveling, I was using a 27' alum car hauler with. 330ci BMW and a Harley Softtail on board. My hitch was rated at 5000 lbs (yup, I was over). I had a custom hitch place in Austin (Spillers Hitch) beef up the hitch to increase the load capacity. I was pulling with a Class A Thor Outlaw (37' length).

The advantage was not only having all that space on the trailer, but being able to back it up (RV space, gas stations, tight turns, ect) - something I can't do towing four down.

The disadvantages were: not all parks had pull-throughs and I'd have to unload everything, car & bike, and find a place to park the trailer before I could settle in anywhere. I also quickly learned that even with a pull-thru, I had to deal with the extra 30+ feet (tounge & trailer) and still have space for my car and bike when I was parked for awhile. Pretty tight more often than not.

So, after towing the trailer for awhile, and frankly not as happy as I thought I'd be, I gave up the trailer, traded the Beemer for another (& and went thru many a car, but that's another story), and have been towing 4 down since. I know you said you'd made the decision not to go that route, I just mention it as my experience, and yes, there are disadvantages to the whole 4 down issue.

Anyway, that's my experience. Hope it helps one way or another.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #10

Thanks Mack, that is helpful.

Real experience and the situations I will likely encounter is what I am looking for. Do you miss not having the motorcycle?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #11

OK, lets pretend that money is no object . . .
Tow a longbed pick-up 4 wheels down and put the bike in the bed.

on the opinion side, I have been towing 4 wheels down since 2005 and only HAD to disconnect 3 times. Two of those times were just dumb-sh**s on my part. I would rather drop and re-connect a 4 wheel down toad 3 times before I would drop and hook up a trailer once. Part of that opinion is based on ignorance of trailers and the fact that I travel alone (no helper to direct).

Reading between the lines I think the OP would rather lose the motorhome rather than give up the bike!!! JMHO
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
or, if your rig can handle the weight, they make cycle lifts that attach to the rear of the motorhome. Not an inexpensive proposition, but they can lift a thousand pound motorcycle and still allow you to pull a toad 4 down behind. most mount to the RV with 3 standard receivers, so not an inexpensive proposition.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacrc46 View Post
The all aluminum trailer weighs 1850 pounds. The Honda Fit weighs 2650 pounds. The motorcycle weighs a little less than 500 pounds. Grand total is 5000 pounds. The MH is rated for 5000. If I need to beef up the hitch to haul that is what I will do.

The 2011 Honda Odyssey weighs 4650 and the Master Tow dolly I am looking at weighs 600 pounds.
Beefing up the hitch won't change the amount you can tow unless the MH manufacturer will issue you a modified vehicle sticker.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
or, if your rig can handle the weight, they make cycle lifts that attach to the rear of the motorhome. Not an inexpensive proposition, but they can lift a thousand pound motorcycle and still allow you to pull a toad 4 down behind. most mount to the RV with 3 standard receivers, so not an inexpensive proposition.
I looked at those as well and for numerous reasons I don't think it is a very good option. They are very expensive and requires a lot of work to get them mounted.

I have pretty much decided that I am going to get a dolly that can carry both a motorcycle and the car. I just have to decide which one to get. I will have the option of using that or taking the trailer. Either one will work. It also looks like I am going to sell the Odyssey in the process and just use the Fit.

Tags
toad