Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #127

I have done the harness fix, got the trail hawk all set up to be towed, but have been able to go anywhere yet. We have 1250 miles on the jeep. I have been trying to verify if the charge line is available. I have a 2013 Coachman Freelander on a Chevrolet chassis. The trailer connector is a 7 pin flat. All of the literature that I can find says the 12V charge line should be on pin 1 and ground on pin 4. My readings all come up zero. Can anyone give me a hint on where to find out if the charge line is really there?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #128

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack40 View Post
I have done the harness fix, got the trail hawk all set up to be towed, but have been able to go anywhere yet. We have 1250 miles on the jeep. I have been trying to verify if the charge line is available. I have a 2013 Coachman Freelander on a Chevrolet chassis. The trailer connector is a 7 pin flat. All of the literature that I can find says the 12V charge line should be on pin 1 and ground on pin 4. My readings all come up zero. Can anyone give me a hint on where to find out if the charge line is really there?

Your diagram could be wrong, or the connector might be wired differently from what the diagram shows. Test each pin on the 7-pin connector to verify that they do correspond to the diagram. Use a good chassis ground on the frame instead of assuming pin4 is the ground; you may get a surprise. You should be able to make your own diagram as you go and cross check it with the diagram from the manufacturer.

The pin on the connector which corresponds to a charge line should be 'hot' when the ignition is on, regardless of taillight, brake or turn signal status. (Sometimes the "charge line" will be hot at all times... not so good since that may drain the coach battery if your toad stays plugged in oivernight.)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #129

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found that the center pin is the hot pin on my Itasca Meridian. Check your circuit breakers for the trailer hitch. I found that the one for the hot line was not installed so that the pin remains cold until you need it.

Wally
fudgeanyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #130

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I should have said fuses, not circuit breakers.

Wally
fudgeanyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #131

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
dpinvidic, I am interested in how this works out, too. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks!

\ken
I started a new thread on this.
Make Flat Tow Automatic

Will do the install in a couple of weeks.

Dan
Old 06-29-2016, 11:53 PM   #132

Thanks for the advice, Wally and Rick. I'll check these out and let you know what I find. I wonder if this topic should be a new tread; being new I don't know how to create and new thread.
Jack40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #133

Alpine Owners Club
Severe intermittent shaking when towing 2014 Jeep Cherokee

Has anyone compiled a spreadsheet showing all of the possible variables? It seems to me that this should be the first thing to help resolve this. I placed an order today for a 2016 Grand Cherokee limited, I understand that the following discussions have been about the Cherokee, but I recognize the similarities. I also think there is an opportunity in about 4 weeks, the FMCA Family Reunion in Springfield, MA. I will volunteer to host a meeting to explore the issue. It would be nice to be able to say under the following conditions a wobble could occur. I realize this has been going on for some time and I am late jumping in, but I am offering to bring my years of analytical investigations to the issue.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #134

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are two completely different vehicles. Different suspension systems, different engine orientation and different transmissions, to name few.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #135

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are two completely different vehicles. Different suspension systems, different engine orientation and different transmissions, to name few.

That is understood, but I notice you do not mention the EPS the subject of many of these discussions and shared between the two vehicles.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:40 AM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
That is understood, but I notice you do not mention the EPS the subject of many of these discussions and shared between the two vehicles.
Regarding compiling a spreadsheet showing all of the possible variables: There are at least two other Cherokee oriented forums which have multiple threads on this condition. You may want to review these threads to understand how and why wobble occurs. We discussed common factors in at least one of these threads and it boils down to the design of the Cherokee. The common factor is that it's being towed (so it's a 2spd 4WD model with a neutral), and hits an irregularity in the road. Once wobble starts it continues until the vehicle stops.

In the case of the Cherokee, the EPS control system is used to "mitigate" possible wobble, by activating it's electronics while towing. However EPS may be a contributory factor toward wobble, however it may not be the only factor. For example, there have been reports of some FWD Cherokees wobbling while being driven and that was attributed to axle shafts.

Design of the Cherokee's EPS involves electronics-controlled, solenoid-driven power steering, the design of which may be quite different from other vehicles with electric power steering. There are some vehicles which have an electric pump, rather than an engine driven pump, for example.

Last time I looked at a GC (2015) the chassis/steering/suspension was totally different from the Cherokee. You should be able to find out how the GC and Cherokee design, now in 2017, is similar and different from one another. Have you raised this issue with FCA/Jeep, or with the dealer where you placed the order?
Old 07-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflyrodders View Post
I have a 2014 Latitude V6 with Active Drive II. While towing behind my motorhome on a 5000 mile trip last summer I experienced a severe side to side shaking in the front wheels of the Jeep about 7 times. Extremely intermittent, and difficult to diagnose at first (is it motorhome, towing setup, or the Jeep itself causing this?). Lots of moving parts here, but I am closing in on the answer.
The shaking is severe. I can feel it A LOT way up in the front of the motorhome. First time I thought the drive axle in the motorhome had come loose from the frame on one side! When it happens I stop immediately, of course, and inspect everything. Nothing appears wrong. This seems to occur when one of the front wheels on the Jeep goes over some raised area in the road (once when I took a tight right turn and the Jeep went over a curb, once after going over some white 1" high markers in the road) or perhaps a rutted place (once railroad tracks at an angle), but it is so intermittent it's hard to be sure of the cause, and I cannot reproduce it. After stopping everything works fine. It does seem to happen at lower speeds, seldom over 35MPH thank goodness.
At considerable expense I've had the motorhome thoroughly checked (first thought was it was the bushings in the track bar) and there is no problem there. I've replaced the tow bar and checked the geometry - no problem there. New tires and balance on the Jeep. Still no help.
Now I find I'm not alone. Another person wrote to a motorhoming magazine and he has had the same thing occurring. I suspect there are more to come. I'd really like to hear from any others who have new Cherokees and have experienced this.
Now, what's going on? Could this be related to the half shaft problems or other front steering things showing up on the new Cherokees? Mine drives perfectly - no shake shimmy or anything EXCEPT this potentially dangerous thing when towing.
Anybody have ideas? I'm now certain the problem lies with the Jeep. Jeep dealers say they have to be able to reproduce the problem - and I don't want to take them on a 1000 mile or so test ride....
I own a towing comapny in Mishawaka, IN. My first guess would be improper alignment on your Jeep. Off the top of my head, its either the caster or toe in that keeps your towed vehicle driving in straight line behind your RV. I would take it into a reputable shop and get the alignment checked.
Tow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #138

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
I had assumed the GC had hydraulic steering...

What amazed me when I had the wobble event, is that I could see in the rear camera that the jeep looked like someone was turning the steering from laft to right and I could see the fenders dipping.

What aldo was amazing is that the side-to-side continued as I slowed...even at 10mph. I had to completely stop the coach, then start again without problem.

Dan
Old 07-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #139

Alpine Owners Club
Severe intermittent shaking when towing 2014 Jeep Cherokee

Dpinvidic, The video above (post #42 IIRC) REALLY showed the shaking in both the toad AND the MH. I'll bet all the eggs in the refer were scrambled. I do not get my new GC until next week, but I have heard it has the EPS, obviously there are many parts of the suspension and steering that are different, until the root cause is determined I can only hope the issue does not appear in the GC.

How do you like the SMI? We have been towing an '08 Saturn Vue using Roadmaster's EvenBrake, never any problems with wobble. I am talking to my local RV shop about going to the SMI, they have always done SMI's but I have asked that they look at the M & G. Opinions anyone, please PM me so we don't high jack the thread.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #140

I also have had this problem several times since leaving Tucson, AZ this spring. The wobble destroyed my tow bar (RoadMaster All Terrain). After getting a new tow bar, same model, The 2014 Jeep Cherokee wabbled in the same spot on the road with 10 miles towing. I started using bungee cords on, the steering wheel, down to the drivers seat electric metal track. I have had no wobble since, 4500 miles.
jstlarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing