Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #141

2014 Jeep Cherokee Wobble

I also have had this problem several times since leaving Tucson, AZ this spring. The wobble destroyed my tow bar (RoadMaster All Terrain). After getting a new tow bar, same model, The 2014 Jeep Cherokee wabbled in the same spot on the road with 10 miles towing. I started using bungee cords on, the steering wheel, down to the drivers seat electric metal track. I have had no wobble since, 4500 miles. Was at dealer today, they say the they don't know of any problems with towing??? I believe a snubber or damper in the hydraulic line may solve the problem, i'm just guessing.

jstlarry
jstlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #142

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
jstlarry,

I recommend you get in touch with Kori at Jeep Cares. She will look up the VIN# of your vehicle and see if you require. The wiring solution. To my knowledge every Cherokee has required one. Better yet she will call your dealer and explain this to them. Then she will help them locate the part and pay to have it installed. My was installed less than 30 days ago and I have only made one 600 mile trip. Everything went well.

Wally
fudgeanyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #143

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstlarry View Post
I also have had this problem several times since leaving Tucson, AZ this spring. The wobble destroyed my tow bar (RoadMaster All Terrain). After getting a new tow bar, same model, The 2014 Jeep Cherokee wabbled in the same spot on the road with 10 miles towing. I started using bungee cords on, the steering wheel, down to the drivers seat electric metal track. I have had no wobble since, 4500 miles. Was at dealer today, they say the they don't know of any problems with towing??? I believe a snubber or damper in the hydraulic line may solve the problem, i'm just guessing.

jstlarry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgeanyone View Post
jstlarry,

I recommend you get in touch with Kori at Jeep Cares. She will look up the VIN# of your vehicle and see if you require. The wiring solution. To my knowledge every Cherokee has required one. Better yet she will call your dealer and explain this to them. Then she will help them locate the part and pay to have it installed. My was installed less than 30 days ago and I have only made one 600 mile trip. Everything went well.

Wally
Every KL Cherokee (2014-...) which is towable are subject to wobble while they are towed with engine off. That is -all- of the ones with AD2 (Latitudes, Limiteds and Overlands) or AD-Lock (Trailhawks). Jeep has the kit and you risk all sorts of problems if you do not get it.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #144

We tow 2015 Trail Hawk behind a Open Road on the F 53 chassis. Have towed the TH for about 7000 miles and the "wobble" happen once. Leaving a RV park and turning to the right onto a road that had quite dip on the shoulder we experience the "Walmart wobble". I always tie a white cloth on the top of the TH steering wheel so I can see the wheel turning in the monitor. The wheel seemed to be turning somewhat erratic so I stopped to check out my hook up found nothing and it never happened again.
On one of the RV forums I found the 08-029-16 Rev A. Service Bulletin. Went to my dealer and after several calls they ordered and installed the harness. The problem is that they never installed one and knew nothing about it.
First day the check engine light came on, back to the dealer and they reset it saying " just a glitch". About 25 miles later it came on again. They kept it over night and said they found a blown fuse but couldn't tell me what fuse it was because tech had left for the day.
I know I need a battery charger to keep the battery up while towing, something the service bulletin failed to mention.
My question is, can I leave the switch off and the fuse in wiring harness out and go back to the old way of towing as it only happened one time and it may have been caused by the "Walmart wobble".
Oliver220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #145

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver220 View Post
We tow 2015 Trail Hawk behind a Open Road on the F 53 chassis. Have towed the TH for about 7000 miles and the "wobble" happen once. Leaving a RV park and turning to the right onto a road that had quite dip on the shoulder we experience the "Walmart wobble". I always tie a white cloth on the top of the TH steering wheel so I can see the wheel turning in the monitor. The wheel seemed to be turning somewhat erratic so I stopped to check out my hook up found nothing and it never happened again.
On one of the RV forums I found the 08-029-16 Rev A. Service Bulletin. Went to my dealer and after several calls they ordered and installed the harness. The problem is that they never installed one and knew nothing about it.
First day the check engine light came on, back to the dealer and they reset it saying " just a glitch". About 25 miles later it came on again. They kept it over night and said they found a blown fuse but couldn't tell me what fuse it was because tech had left for the day.
I know I need a battery charger to keep the battery up while towing, something the service bulletin failed to mention.
My question is, can I leave the switch off and the fuse in wiring harness out and go back to the old way of towing as it only happened one time and it may have been caused by the "Walmart wobble".
If you don't pull the fuse and put the switch in the proper position, it will cause a error code. The code should reset after a couple of key cycles. No shortcuts on this.

One person posted that the dealer installed the red switch cover backwards...so the switch was off when it should have been on.

The fuse under the hood energizes a relay (part of the harness) which switches power to the EPS (Electric Power Steering).
AND the switch in the console must be thrown to isolate the EPS from the CAN bus inside the car.

The instructions that come with the harness are pretty clear...and they should have given you an instruction card also.

Dan
Old 07-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #146

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver220 View Post
I know I'm going to sound like I'm on a soapbox so I apologize in advance, but here's is what is keeping me from towing mine without the wiring harness installed. Some or all of this has probably been mentioned in this, or one of the many other, threads.
  • Now that FCA has issued a recall advising all 2014-2016 Cherokee owners that they must have the wiring harness installed and working in order to safely tow the vehicle behind a motor home, they have absolved themselves from any liability of property damage or personal injury that might happen due to the violent shaking and possible break away of the towed vehicle.

That liability now rests squarely on the shoulders of the owner of the vehicle.

The shaking doesn't only happen at slow speeds. I have read at least four posts, one in this thread (post #94) where the shaking happened at 50-55 mph. In every case the only way to get the shaking to cease is to come to a complete stop!

I travel a lot of two lane highways with little or no shoulder (hwys 93, 95 and 395 in NV). If I had to come to a complete stop blocking traffic I'm sure I would be involved in or cause an accident. However I doubt it would be considered an accident since it could easily be proven I'm towing a vehilce in an unsafe manner.

This then brings up the insurance issue. Would my insurance company stand behind me? I don't know, but I highly doubt it.
So to directly answer your question, I personally would not do it.

Just as a side note, my Cherokee has been at my dealer having the wiring harness installed for the past two weeks. The problem is they cannot get it to work. They and I have been in contact with FCA, and there is a STAR case open, but so far even the corporate techs have not been able to provide an answer.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:01 AM   #147

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess I've been lucky, I've never had the Death Wobble and have toad Coast to Coast to Coast and more. I now have the Death Wobble installed and have not attempted to tow with it on as of yet.
I already have a charge line installed due to an issue of the battery going dead when I went across country I 2014. It actually turned out to be a connector behind the dash that came loose, but I thought it was due to the brake lights coming on every time I applied the brakes.
We will see what happens on this trip when I turn it on for the first time
I'm only using it because as others have stated, FCA has not stated it is required because they screwed up and didn't do their homework. So I have to ask are they going to start looking into all of their other EPS cars and trucks and getting them fixed before they have Death Wobble problems.
We will see
Old 07-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #148

Winnebago Owners Club
@Oliver220, You said "...they ordered and installed the harness. The problem is that they never installed one and knew nothing about it. ..."

But later you mention the switch and the fuse, so I infer that, at least now, you have the harness installed. It appears to me that there's something wrong with the installation.

Here's a quick way to check, which you should be able to reproduce in front of the dealer service rep. Follow the instructions from Jeep by waiting for dash lights to "sleep", flipping the inside switch and then inserting the fuse (with engine off of course). Now by moving the steering wheel it will be easy to see if the EPS is activated or not since you'll feel the power assist. After that follow Jeep instructions to remove fuse and flip switch. If the steering wheel was hard to move as it is when the engine is off, or, if trouble codes show up, there is something wrong with the installation or the harness. Also, if you keep getting answers like "just a glitch" and (unspecified) "blown fuse" it is time to find another dealer.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #149

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, all -- I had the accessory kit installed today. The silliness of the fuse that has to be pulled when you want to drive the vehicle away from the tow bar (and reinstalled when you are setting up to tow) baffles me. I understand the ejection seat style switch inside the console, but wonder about the logic behind using a fuse as a master power on/off switch. Even the Jeep tech was surprised at such a non-user friendly and cumbersome solution.

After I tow (we are staying put till the end of the July) it a couple times and have comforted myself that the kit is operating correctly, I am going to come up with a better workaround. Perhaps the charge wire idea from the MH that dpinvidic (thanks, Dan) has been tossing around? Even an in-line SPST switch obscurely mounted in the bottom of the toad's grill would be a more convential solution.

Kit was installed under warranty with no out-of-pocket costs to me.

If it works and there are no more "wobble events" I will be very happy, of course.

Time will tell,

/ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #150

Winnebago Owners Club
One more comment: I provided the TSB that BobGed (thanks, Bob) had shared with us on the forum. My accessory kit was ordered from that document. When the kit came in and they compared the PN to my VIN they said it was the wrong kit.

After further investigation it was determined that the only difference between the kit that was ordered and the kit that was supposed to go with my particular VIN was the number of pages in the instructions for the Jeep Tech to follow during the install. LOL.

Jeep has really made this more difficult than it needs to be, IMHO.

/ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #151

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
One more comment: I provided the TSB that BobGed had shared with us on the forum. My accessory kit was ordered from that document. When the kit came in and they compared the PN to my VIN they said it was the wrong kit.

After further investigation they determined that the only difference between the kit that was ordered and the kit that was supposed to go with my particular VIN was the number of pages in the instructions for the Tech to follow during the install.

LOL,

/ken
Well I was almost going to but I'm glad it all worked out for you. Maybe that's the problem my dealer is having....not enough instruction pages.

Regarding the fuse situation, once they get my kit working I am going to install a switch on the bottom of the dash on the driver's side.

I would recommend you install a battery charging system. I installed a RVibrake Towed Battery Charger https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RVibr.../tbc-12014.htm
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:39 AM   #152

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not sure what's inside these car-charger kits other than an LED indicator and diode to prevent back-feed from car to MH. Since I've been using a Brake Buddy on my toads, pretty much from the first year I had one, I've used that combination on a few toads.

Whatever route you take make sure the charge line from the MH has fuse (or circuit breaker) to handle the max current the wire can handle. I also recommend you use power source from the MH which is activated by its ignition switch if possible, rather than one which is always hot.

Picture below shows the inside under-dash of the Cherokee. I ran the wiring for an LED switch next to wiring for my Brakebuddy power outlet through the large grommet in the firewall.

(connector on right of switch is for the breakaway cord).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160704_181056r.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	132969  
Old 07-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #153

Not a lot of miles; 1450 driven miles + 200 towed miles. No problems observed. I had the flat tow harness and charge line installed before I towed my Trailhawk anywhere.
_________
2013 Coachmen Freelander 21QB
2016 Jeep Cherokee Tailhawk
Jack40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #154

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at this post.
You can do all of it or some of it to make the process easier or fully automatic.

make flat tow mode automatic

I can't believe they actually want you to open the hood and install a fuse father than a switch.

If you just move the fuse lead to the coach side of your charge line
(with a blocking diode), you can leave the fuse in all the time.

Dan

Tags
tow, towing