Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 01:27 AM   #155

I just buy a 2016 trail Hack Cherokee
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 01:42 AM   #156

I just purchase a Trail Hawk Cherokee 2016 and when i take the délévry they give mee the document to install the harness and they install it
after what i read on the forum and see on post #42 i am very happy of me décision to let them install it
after i went to a shop who install the base plate and they told me they will not
do the wiring because they ad problems with the wiring and i can loose my guarentee and they want install some magnetic light on the top witch i dont want some others installers told me they can do it
to some of you who got the same Jeep that i own what kind of wiring do you have on your
thak you very much to help mee
Andrew
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:21 AM   #157

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
I just purchase a Trail Hawk Cherokee 2016 and when i take the délévry they give mee the document to install the harness and they install it
after what i read on the forum and see on post #42 i am very happy of me décision to let them install it
after i went to a shop who install the base plate and they told me they will not
do the wiring because they ad problems with the wiring and i can loose my guarentee and they want install some magnetic light on the top witch i dont want some others installers told me they can do it
to some of you who got the same Jeep that i own what kind of wiring do you have on your
thak you very much to help mee
Andrew
It is possible to wire in isolating diodes for thee tail and brake/turn signals. Many have done this and there are posts in the Cherokee forums about this installation, if not in this forum.

However, it is not a simple installation, as you'll see if you read the posts. Many dealers will try to twist the words of the warranty to make a customer think that any mods made will void the warranty on the entire vehicle. This is not the case in the US, but I do not know about CA. On the other hand, if the wiring is done incorrectly and causes damage to taillight or something else, do not expect warranty coverage on that part.

If you do not want to do the wiring yourself I suggest you find an installer who has done this installation on a similar Jeep Cherokee.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:31 AM   #158

I too have a 2016 Trail Hawk. My flat tow harness was installed by the dealer where I purchased the jeep. I had the base plate and tail light wiring (road master) installed by camping world. They told me I needed a relay installed for the taillights to function properly. I have not had problems with my set up, at least so far.

Jack40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:14 AM   #159

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack40 View Post
I too have a 2016 Trail Hawk. My flat tow harness was installed by the dealer where I purchased the jeep. I had the base plate and tail light wiring (road master) installed by camping world. They told me I needed a relay installed for the taillights to function properly. I have not had problems with my set up, at least so far.

I never heard of a relay being needed. Diodes are needed, or at lease recommended in each of the tail and turn lines to isolate the MH's circuits from Jeep's. Were you told how a relay would be used/installed?
Old 08-18-2016, 05:16 AM   #160

with all these problems I see posted here, it appears the buyers can't figure out these things are a waste of time for towing. my liberty will be the last jeep for me now that Fiat is making a mess out of jeeps. Dave
Old 08-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #161

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
I never heard of a relay being needed. Diodes are needed, or at lease recommended in each of the tail and turn lines to isolate the MH's circuits from Jeep's. Were you told how a relay would be used/installed?
Actually I am using relays instead of diodes. Both will work, but relays are better because then you brake with the turn signal on, you still get a flashing turn signal on the jeep. With diodes (and a aux braking system) the brake light overrides the turn signal. There is a relay inside each tail light housing, and it is energized by the charge line from the RV.

Regards,

Dan
Old 08-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #162
WDW

At times it just comes down to a competent shop that understands both the vehicle and the towing process. We were lucky, we've run in to two RV dealers who are competent and know their stuff. While I like our Jeep dealer, a very large operation in Buffalo, I would never have trusted them to do our towing set up.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #163

moved back so others will see.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:26 AM   #164

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do not fret the light hookup for the Jeep Cherokee. Hopkins Wiring Solutions now has a Plug and play setup for the Jeep Cherokee.
Dinghy Towing Harnesses #56206
It makes it Easy Peasy so stop the fuss.
Too bad they didn't have it when I did mine.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:22 AM   #165

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Do not fret the light hookup for the Jeep Cherokee. Hopkins Wiring Solutions now has a Plug and play setup for the Jeep Cherokee.
Dinghy Towing Harnesses #56206
It makes it Easy Peasy so stop the fuss.
Too bad they didn't have it when I did mine.
#56206 if listed as for the Grand Cherokee, 2005-2007.
Jeep

Tags
tow, towing