Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2016, 10:38 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I have not experienced the wobble with my 2015 Cherokee. Just lucky I guess, other than the fact that the car is a lemon. I wonder, if it were to happen, I have the ability with the RVI brake to apply the brakes to the toad from the coach, would that possibly snap it out of it. I used to do the same type of thing years ago, if my trailer started swaying. reach down and apply the trailer brakes, or in this case the toad brakes. This would be done without activating the coach brakes. I bring this up because as my previous post says, I'm getting a new Grand Cherokee that for the first time, has the electric assist steering. So it's possible, it could have the same "wobble" issue as the new Cherokees do.
The car is a lemon. We have had our 2014 in at least 8 times for recalls and other unrelated problems.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 04:58 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNJ View Post
BPoland,

I was told by Jeep this problem does not apply to the Grand Cherokee. They asked for my vin number to confirm. I have the 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
I was told that the 2016 Grand Cherokee is the first year they switched to the electric assisted power steering (just like they have on the 2014 - 2016 Cherokees). Guess I will have to wait and see.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:34 AM   #73

There are 4 threads that cover essentially the exact same info on towing 2014 and 2015 Jeep Cherokees, including recent info on the soon to be available fix from Jeep on the reported issue with "wobble".

To simplify this topic please refer to all threads before you post something new, it will make it better for everyone.

I have posted this note on the others as well.

Regards

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2014-...ml#post2938650

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/sever...-240620-6.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/does-...-247984-4.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2014-...186219-14.html
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflyrodders View Post
FCA has announced a fix for the wobble when towing the new KL model Cherokees. It involves a wiring harness which will keep the electric steering assist motor operating while towing. Those wishing to have this should contact Jeep Customer Care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
Jeep is working on a fix for the severe wobble when towing the Cherokee. The problem is in the Electronic Power Steering. The are working on a jumper to power the system on when towing. It was supposed to be available January but I'm now told the end of February. I was also told the vehicle should not be towed until it is fixed and I would have to pay for the fix.
For those who have not yet heard FCA/Jeep has now announced a revised kit, (NUMBER: 08-029-16). I have not seen any announcement about availability, however the announcement does put into question the advisability of installing the earlier kit.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #75

Went to my dealership in Boise today. They knew nothing about the problem or the fix. They did call FMCA though, who could not give an availability date on the harness, but did acknowledge the existence / need for it. The part number they gave me was 68321424AB. Which was updated from the....AA version
Jack40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #76
WDW

I'm wondering what the difference is between the two kits? We just had the initial revision done last week. Our initial trip is Friday. We've towed before the update without any issues.

But I'm curious what is different. Maybe a second switch do you don't have to install or pull a fuse. That would make sense.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I'm wondering what the difference is between the two kits? We just had the initial revision done last week. Our initial trip is Friday. We've towed before the update without any issues.

But I'm curious what is different. Maybe a second switch do you don't have to install or pull a fuse. That would make sense.
I heard from Jeep that "the AB-level part # now includes instruction sheets
and a tab removed from the switch cover." I agree with the idea of having a switch (perhaps with relay) to be used to avoid pulling a fuse; however the above is all Jeep/FCA told me.

Let us know how your tow experience works out.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:39 AM   #78
WDW

Here is our update and new problem:

We had our Jeep dealer install the upgrade / switch about 10 days ago. A few days afterwards we had a one way trip to drop the coach off to the dealer. That's when I discovered a problem with the switch. According to the instructions down is "off" and up is tow mode. However, if you push it down and close the red safety cap it pushes the switch up.

In experimenting with this, if I leave the safety cap open, push it down to the "off mode" and start the car to drive I get a BUNCH of warning lights on the instrument cluster. So I've taken to driving it in the "on position". Another thing, when I installed the fuse you could immediately hear something engaging and powering. I don't recall which way I had the switch.

I contracted our dealer which is over 60 miles 1-way. "Bring it in, we will take care of it". 15 minutes after I arrive they tell me "sorry" we've got to order a new switch. It should be here tomorrow. So I waited two days. No call. I phoned and was told that, "The company is coming out with a new switch but it won't we available till June". REALLY ...what am I supposed to do till then? We've got trips planned. Thousands spent to set this Jeep up to tow. Two trips (over 250 miles) Back and forth to the dealer to "fix" what should not be a problem. Finally despite being told they did a "correct" install, why does my instrument cluster go nuts in the "off mode"?

Does anyone have a direct line to FMCA / Jeep or someone I can appeal to who understands this issue on the technical side? I ENCOURAGED my dealer to use their influence and reach out to their regional service manager / factory representative to bring my situation to someone who knows about this service bulletin install issue.

Thanks IRV friends for your input!

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
Old 04-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #79

Received a phone call today from Chrysler Group customer assistance. The agent told me that my "recreational flat tow" harness would be shipped to my dealer/installer on or around the 28th of April. No charge for the harness and no charge for the installation.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #80

This seems to be a classic case where a relatively small group of people had an intermittent problem that no one can consistantly (if at all) recreate, threw a fit with the assistance of the FMCA, and pressured FCA/Jeep to fix a problem that no one has figured out how it's triggered or the root cause.

So FCA/Jeep came up with a half baked solution to get everyone off thier case, and play CYA with lawyers, and the "vaccination" is worse than the chance of catching the disease.

Side effects include creating a total hassle, cya paperwork, a hack job installation, potential dead battles, constipation, diarrhea, bleeding, heart attack, and if you tow for more than 4 hours seek immediate attention from your Jeep dealer.......

No thanks...... Be aware, and think about if it ever happens how to react. Then get on with it.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #81

Betr2trvl it has happened to me twice in the course of two years and it is no joke. It actually spread the connection point in the car to the point it was not usable. I do know how to control the problem when it starts, stop the vehicle.
I also believe I know what starts the wobble, deep undulating grooves in the lane but it's hard to prevent them until you are in them.
Jeep is now telling people not to flat tow the vehicle until it's fixed which is exactly why we purchased the car, flat towing.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:49 AM   #82

judgebobk is correct. I was told in writing by FCA to not flat tow until I had the "recreational towing wiring kit" installed. The new version of the owners manual also states "failure to use the proper Mopar wiring kit to power the steering system..." may damage the steering system... I think failure to use the wiring kit would void the power train warranty. I wonder what the solution is for those Cherokees manufactured after 2/16/2016 and 2017 models.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:34 AM   #83

You are both supporting my points........

First, jeep says not to tow it until you get it fixed (a pure legal cya on thier part, with the onus being put right back o the owner that they may void the warranty), but you can't get it fixed. I have not been notified by Jeep, and I am going to tow my Trailhawk, fix or not.

If I do get notified, I may or may not have the half baked fix installed, no matter what thier legal cya may be. And given no one can reliably recreate this wobble, who knows if this supposed fix even solves the problem (that I, and most owners, have not experienced).

As for "it happened to me twice", what I would love to know is if you drove over those same roads exactly the same way, would it happen again, and my guess is that it would not. And if it did, if I drive drive over that section of road, would it happen to me, and my guess is that it would not.

There is more to what triggers this that no one can put thier finger on, and in reality a vast majority of people towing have not had it happen. Yes, maybe loading the ps helps alleviate the problem, so I get that. But, as I have noted before, there is a lot more than that going on. Tow bar set ups, tow bar angles, tow braking systems, to name the ones I have mentioned in previous posts. It has also happened even less to Trailhawks (maybe because there are less Trailhawks) but I have / will speculate that the larger tires on the Trailhawks self center better with the wider tread.

In any case, this is a "be careful what you ask for" and "if you don't know the answer, don't ask the question" senario, because what Jeep is providing is a half baked solution, that they can't even get to market, and what they have done best, is play cya, which you can't blame them for either when people with the help of FMCA scream "lawsuit".

I am very cognizant that road undulations may trigger the wobble. So, when I encounter those, I watch my Jeep carefully, drive very slowly until everything lines up and driving smoothly if I am pulling out of a gas station for instance, and if I am on a road that looks uneven, I mentally prepare myself as to what I may need to do safely to stop if I start to get a wobble.

This situation is a real issue, I get it, but I am not going to get all caught up in it, and not use my jeep as I intended to use it.

Regards
Old 04-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #84
WDW

LOL - they figured out what is "wrong" with my switch ..,,,wait for it.....

THE SUPPLEMENTAL TOWING INSTRUCTION CARD IS WRONG.

Tow mode is down with the safety cover open and non tow mode is up with the safety cover closed protecting it!

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...

Tags
tow, towing