Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 05:04 AM   #85

Btr2Trvl; thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate your knowledge and experience. I recently spoke with a fellow trail hawk owner (2014) who has towed his jeep over 5000 miles with no fix and no problem. I agree FCA has a half baked solution. My jeep is fairly new only 600 miles on the odometer. Waiting on parts to get it set up for flat tow.
Jack40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
FWIW, we own a [2015] TrailHawk and DID experience the severe back-and-forth wobble. Just once -- in November 2015. Several thousand miles towed since then with no recurrence of the wobble, however.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #87

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jeep Cherokee toad warning

BE ADVISED, We have towed our Cherokee 18,000 miles, including a trip to Alaska. We experienced the wobble five times on that trip. The roads were frost heaved. While having the Jeep serviced the technician pointed out that one of the structural beams, where the Blue Ox baseplate attaches, had a broken weld. The dealership would not repair under warranty. They said the Blue Ox baseplate was the cause. I contacted Jeep Customer Service and they said they supported the dealer because we added "after market" parts. I called Blue Ox and they said that they had changed the design of the baseplate to give it more support and sent me a new one. Blue ox, however will not commit to paying for the removing and replacing the baseplate. They want me to send back to old baseplate for inspection. I finally got the dealer, that I purchased the Cherokee from, to take pictures of the broken weld and they got an OK to replace the part under warranty. Upon removing that beam they found more failed welds in the framework and ended up replacing over $1,400.00 worth of parts. It took 3 days of labor. The new structural beams are made of steel, not aluminum as were the originals. If you have been towing a Jeep Cherokee, I strongly suggest you have it inspected for broken welds. There was no indication of any problem, driving or towing the vehicle. I am having the new baseplate installed this week and hope the "fix" parts are available soon.
rvmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #88

Rvmarc, good to know, thanks for your information.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #89

I had my "mopar flat tow wiring kit" installed last Thursday at no charge. On Saturday I received a "Motor Vehicle Notification" from FCA. In it was an addendum to my owners manual; stating "before towing see dealer for the mopar flat tow wiring kit. It also recommended to charge the towed vehicle during recreational towing. The kit still contains the fuse and the switch. The customer satisfaction notice applies to 2014 through 2016 models. Presumably the problem is resolved on 2017 models.
Jack40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:31 AM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just received that same Customer Satisfaction Addendum and I went to the dealer about the wiring harness. They stated that it cost $145 and 2 hours installation at $125 an hr. That's when I went off I bought a car that states it is flat towable, not only does it say that in the manual but they brag about on the web site as far as it's capabilities. They are the one that have a design flaw in their product and why should I have to pay extra, remember this is NOT an accessory, to have them install their fix for a problem they did not foresee in the design.
So basically I now have a car that will not do what it's designed to do and they won't fix any problems that arise because I'm not following their revised instruction.
That's like buying a washing machine that is designed to wash the clothes and wring out the excess water and then finding out that you have to add an extra motor to it if you want it do that and just because we didn't realize it would not wring the water out when we designed it we are going to charge you to buy the motor and have installed.
Looks like I'll be getting rid of all my FCA vehicles and going to GM.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I just received that same Customer Satisfaction Addendum and I went to the dealer about the wiring harness. They stated that it cost $145 and 2 hours installation at $125 an hr. That's when I went off I bought a car that states it is flat towable, not only does it say that in the manual but they brag about on the web site as far as it's capabilities. They are the one that have a design flaw in their product and why should I have to pay extra, remember this is NOT an accessory, to have them install their fix for a problem they did not foresee in the design.
So basically I now have a car that will not do what it's designed to do and they won't fix any problems that arise because I'm not following their revised instruction.
That's like buying a washing machine that is designed to wash the clothes and wring out the excess water and then finding out that you have to add an extra motor to it if you want it do that and just because we didn't realize it would not wring the water out when we designed it we are going to charge you to buy the motor and have installed.
Looks like I'll be getting rid of all my FCA vehicles and going to GM.
Don't complain to the dealer, they can't do anything but what FMCA tells them to do. You need to file a complaint with FMCA Customer Service directly and request a free installation or you will be contacting your states attorney general to report a failure to comply with their warranty, and then will begin the lemon law process to get the vehicle repurchased.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #92

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After reading through the many different forums about this issue, it seems FCA and its dealers seem change their stories every day! It seems that each owner is given a different version. Even the cost of the harness and installation changes depending on which day of the week it is. (Mod Edit)

Today, we had the wiring harness and switch installed on our 2015 Trailhawk at NO CHARGE as a warranty fix. Go figure......
95f5334j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:46 PM   #93
WDW

We were not charged either. In fact we receive a complementary oil and filter service for our inconvenience. But then we've bought 6 cars from this dealer....

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:32 PM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have posted to this thread before. My VIN did not show up on the list of affected vehicles. Never had a problem until today.
Making a transition from the N-405 to the N-101 in calf, the road was really bumpy, and it was on a curve and got the wobble at about 55 mph. Looked in the rear camera monitor and the jeep looked like someone was sharply turning the steering wheel left and right. As I slowed down, it kept wobbling... even at about 10mph.
I had to completely stop, and then start again. I don't understand why it still wobbled at 10mph.

Guess I need to hassle the dealer to install the kit.

Regards,

Dan
Old 06-12-2016, 10:59 PM   #95

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I have posted to this thread before. My VIN did not show up on the list of affected vehicles. Never had a problem until today.
Making a transition from the N-405 to the N-101 in calf, the road was really bumpy, and it was on a curve and got the wobble at about 55 mph. Looked in the rear camera monitor and the jeep looked like someone was sharply turning the steering wheel left and right. As I slowed down, it kept wobbling... even at about 10mph.
I had to completely stop, and then start again. I don't understand why it still wobbled at 10mph.

Regards,

Dan
Sorry to hear you had to go through the experience. I can imagine it is pretty unnerving to have it happen particularly at 55 mph. Every other person that has posted experiencing the problem that I have read has stated they also had to come to a complete stop.

I've never had the problem, but I drive on many two lane roads so mine is being installed Thursday.

I know there are a couple of threads dealing with this problem, but in case your dealer refuses to cover it free of charge (some do and some don't), don't forget about contacting JeepCares as I explained in post #35 in the following thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep-...-290529-3.html
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:38 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post

Regards,

Dan
Ugh.......

My cynical cohort in this, and now you...........

I've driven that transition a thousand times at least (I lived just a few miles west of there off the 101 for several years).

I would really like to know, if you drove it another 10 times, if / how many times would it happen again. When you get a few minutes, can you reply with the details up to the point it happened; approach speed, did you slow down in a straight line, take the corner on a neutral throttle, were you braking through the corner (trail braking), at what point did it start etc. Can you also refresh us as to what tow bar and brake system you have?

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well FCA is going to pay to have mine installed on Wednesday. I have not had the issue but if I don't get it done you never know what FCA will do about the Warranty. You know how these companies operate.
They not only need to fix the Cherokee but will need to do the same to the Grand Cherokee also.
FCA also should either include this fix from the factory or change their tune as to being Flat Towable and then have flat towable as an option.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:39 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Well FCA is going to pay to have mine installed on Wednesday. I have not had the issue but if I don't get it done you never know what FCA will do about the Warranty. You know how these companies operate.
They not only need to fix the Cherokee but will need to do the same to the Grand Cherokee also.
FCA also should either include this fix from the factory or change their tune as to being Flat Towable and then have flat towable as an option.
I hope you're wrong about the need to include the 2016 Grand Cherokee, as that is what I went to after FCA bought my 2015 Cherokee Limited back. New experienced the wobble with the 15 Cherokee, and haven't thus far with the 16 Grand Cherokee. I have not heard of anyone having this issue with the 16 GC. I found out after the fact that the 16 GC went to the electric assist steering like the 14-15 Cherokees.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing