Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #57

I have towed a Samurai, Tracker, and Metro and at precisely the times and conditions already described they have all done this. Aside from all the technical stuff, IMHO, all that needs to be done is to dampen the steering so it can't turn back and forth as easily. I would not add something that will stop the steering from moving as it needs to turn while being towed, but something to dampen it. That could be a stabilizer as already recommended or simply some bungee cords attached to the steering wheel. It would be very easy and inexpensive to try bungees just to see if that did the trick. Experiment with varying strengths until you find what works.

Also, when that is first noticed, if it is possible, slow down until it stops and then speed up. I believe when moving faster centrifugal force will have a tendency to keep the wheels straight assuming they are balanced correctly and are not bent. As others have said, this occurrence is not friendly to the vehicle and will at some point cause damage, especially if it allowed to continue up to higher speeds. My theory is that the wobble will continue until overcome by centrifugal force and also becomes more violent as speed increases until that occurs, but that could be wrong.

Best of luck, and happy fishing!

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
WDW: Quiet Hitch link below. \ken

http://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-062...er+quiet+hitch
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #59

Subscribed and very interested to hear ongoing updates. I will be towing my '15 Jeep Wrangler behind our MH next spring for the first time. It has a 2" lift and 35" tires, and I wonder if this combination predisposes it to oscillation. I think a quiet hitch device is a must in order to limit small movement at the hitch receiver from being magnified by the long lever arm and suspension/tire compliance. I hope I do not have to add myself to the list of affected owners.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Barmats: We towed a loaded-down TJ Rubicon for years in a similar configuration as yours and had no problems. In the Jeep line-up, the culprit appears to be the electric steering on the new Cherokee models. I am hoping that you will be fine. Travel in confidence! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Barmats: We towed a loaded-down TJ Rubicon for years in a similar configuration as yours and had no problems. In the Jeep line-up, the culprit appears to be the electric steering on the new Cherokee models. I am hoping that you will be fine. Travel in confidence! \ken
Thanks, Ken. From what I've read and heard, I believe (and hope) that you are correct.

I'm thinking of re-aiming the rear camera so it sees more of the toad than just the bumper of the coach. I've actually thought of having 2 rear cameras; one to view just the bumper area for backing up (the DW always helps with this but it's still nice to see how close you're getting to things), and one to view the toad and/or the roadway behind you. But installing a second wired camera would involve drilling and running wires which may not be feasible. Perhaps a wireless camera, but then I'd be looking at a 3rd screen up front.

-Barry
Old 12-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #62

After looking at the quiet hitch I'm thinking I may have created something similar years ago by simply drilling a hole in the top or side of the receiver, welding a nut there, and screwing a bolt down against the hitch insert. That approach has worked well for me when I needed to eliminate movement from the system.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #63

Jeep wobble fix

FCA has announced a fix for the wobble when towing the new KL model Cherokees. It involves a wiring harness which will keep the electric steering assist motor operating while towing. Those wishing to have this should contact Jeep Customer Care.
Twoflyrodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflyrodders View Post
FCA has announced a fix for the wobble when towing the new KL model Cherokees. It involves a wiring harness which will keep the electric steering assist motor operating while towing. Those wishing to have this should contact Jeep Customer Care.
Has anyone had the kit installed?
Old 02-12-2016, 05:27 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
Has anyone had the kit installed?
Since I have a 2016 Grand Cherokee (WK2) on order, which also has electric assisted steering, I wonder if this same problem might occur. This is the first year for the elec. assist steering on the WK2, so I guess it's a wait and see.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:40 AM   #66

I have not experienced the wobble with my 2015 Cherokee. Just lucky I guess, other than the fact that the car is a lemon. I wonder, if it were to happen, I have the ability with the RVI brake to apply the brakes to the toad from the coach, would that possibly snap it out of it. I used to do the same type of thing years ago, if my trailer started swaying. reach down and apply the trailer brakes, or in this case the toad brakes. This would be done without activating the coach brakes. I bring this up because as my previous post says, I'm getting a new Grand Cherokee that for the first time, has the electric assist steering. So it's possible, it could have the same "wobble" issue as the new Cherokees do.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #67

I've seen YouTube videos where people have been able to induce the death wobble while driving the vehicle, not just while it was being towed. This was done by either driving over a road irregularity or asymmetrical bump at a specific speed. From that, I assume that if your vehicle has death wobble potential, it would reveal itself both during normal driving as well as when it's being towed.

From the various "fixes" I've seen posted on forums and as well on YouTube, it appears that this oscillation is related to a combination of factors, all of which appear to involve a degree of play or movement in the suspension and/or steering components. Hopefully, this will not effect newer vehicles... at least, for now.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #68

Jeep is working on a fix for the severe wobble when towing the Cherokee. The problem is in the Electronic Power Steering. The are working on a jumper to power the system on when towing. It was supposed to be available January but I'm now told the end of February. I was also told the vehicle should not be towed until it is fixed and I would have to pay for the fix.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BPoland,

I was told by Jeep this problem does not apply to the Grand Cherokee. They asked for my vin number to confirm. I have the 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #70

The wobble I experienced was so severe it spread the steel connection point on the base plate which is a Demco. Demco has modified and reinforced the plate for the Cherokee.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing