Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #1

Sharp Tugging on Towed

Just bought a new RV and am pulling the same Miata towed.

Because my new 30 ft. RV has about 3 ft. more overhang than my previous 22 ft. RV, while going over a series of bumps or especially RR tracks, the towed will experience a violent pulling and pushing as the back of the RV bounces up and down and the angle of the tow bar changes and that suddenly changes the distance between the RV and the towed.

On the flat, the tow bar is level and from a geometry standpoint, should minimize this action.

Has anybody installed a shock absorber or spring system into the tow bar tongue to absorb or soften these actions?

Does anybody else have this going on? What do YOU do?

Regardless of how strong the tow system is, surely (Yea... I know! Don't call me Shirley...) this violent push-pull cannot be good for the Miata's unibody.

Tim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would be concerned about the the base plate bracketry on your Miata. I suggest double checking weldments and fasteners. I have a blue Ox tow bar that as some float on both the RV and towed connection points. My last Motorhome also had a large overhang and I was towing an Acura Integra. I would notice in certain conditions some tugging, but found slowing down reduced the tugging to a more comfortable level.

Mike

2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
in addition to what mike has said, imho installing a track (panhard) bar on the rear suspension will help a lot. it made a huge difference on my moho with 13' overhang behind the rear axle.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Wonder what tow system we're talking about???
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Longer tow bar will lessen this problem.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
imho installing a track (panhard) bar on the rear suspension will help a lot. it made a huge difference on my moho with 13' overhang behind the rear axle.
DAN L,

Thanks for your reply, but a Panhard Rod or track Bar is designed to minimize the LATERAL movement of the differential assembly under, and with respect to, the Frame.

I don't understand how a Rod or Bar will serve to minimize the VERTICAL movement and the resulting LONGITUDINAL movement behind the hitch receiver.

Please explain?

Tim
Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
Longer tow bar will lessen this problem.
I agree, but where does one find a tow-bar stretcher?

Tim
Old 06-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not sure what kind of towbar you have, but most if not all will pivot at the attachments points to the towed and the MH. How does the distance change?

". . .the towed will experience a violent pulling and pushing as the back of the RV bounces up and down and the angle of the tow bar changes and that suddenly changes the distance between the RV and the towed."

Does the length of the towbar remain constant? Am I missing something?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #9

If the rise/dip (mostly RR xings) away from main highways and thru small towns is very severe, it happens with my Wrangler. I slow down approaching RR xings if it is a sharp rise or dip. Easy peasy.

I assume the lighter the toad, the closer it can get to airborne.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	towbar.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	41420
In the diagram, the vertical movement of the back of the RV will change the angle A, but the net effect on the distance between the RV and toad will be very small. I'm not going to go to the effort to show all the math. I wonder it the 'tugging' you are feeling is actually the rattling of the tow bar in the receiver. Perhaps a receiver immobilizer might help.

Receiver Immobilizer II for 2-inch Hitch - Anti-Rattle Devices - Blue Ox Towing Accessories

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What kind of towbar and setup are you using?

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
What kind of towbar and setup are you using?
Roadmaster baseplate & brackets on the Miata.

Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar on the RV.

Tim
Old 06-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If the rise/dip (mostly RR xings) away from main highways and thru small towns is very severe... I slow down
CampDaven,

We almost never travel on the Interstates, preferring the back roads and small towns and I agree that the situation is not only speed sensitive, but part of "MY" problem is learning curve.

I NEVER felt this tugging with my previous 22 foot Class C and I have only driven this new one about 300 miles. I'm sure that I will learn to more readily see bumps & dips and slow down appropriately.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 06-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Not sure what kind of towbar you have, but most if not all will pivot at the attachments points to the towed and the MH. How does the distance change?

". . .the towed will experience a violent pulling and pushing as the back of the RV bounces up and down and the angle of the tow bar changes and that suddenly changes the distance between the RV and the towed."

Does the length of the towbar remain constant? Am I missing something?
Roadmaster Tow bar and yes, the length of the tow bar remains constant, BUT if you raise or lower the hitch on the RV, the straight-line distance between the RV and the towed becomes LESS. Think of a right triangle... If you lengthen one of the legs, the other leg will become shorter.

It may not become much shorter, but if you have a 20,000 pound object trying to move a 2,000 pound object even 1/4 of an inch in a few milliseconds. You WILL feel the amount of energy/work it takes to do that.

Tim