Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

Shopping for a surge brake

I've seen on the forum that several people have purchased the Ready Brute Elite and they are happy with it. I have an 88 Suzuki and it already has a tow bar on it so I wanted to look at adding a surge brake since the Zuki is pretty light.

I found a receiver style by Ready Brake that looks like it would work.
ReadyBrake™ Towed Vehicle Receiver Style Supplemental Brake System - NSA RV Products

I found another receiver type from Blue Ox which is considerably cheaper.
BX88100, AutoStop | Blue Ox

I'm wondering if anyone else has compared these two. I like the fact that the Blue Ox doesn't have any external moving parts, but wonder if less expensive means cheaper.
Has anyone tried the Blue Ox?
ChasRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Chass I found the Redybrake for $411 on Amazon that's pretty close to Blue Ox and I like the looks of the Redibrake and its history of doing the job if installed correctly if it were me.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #3

We use the Ready Brute Elite system. No problems, works great.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I have a ready brake elite and it works great. I tow a Chevy cruze with a manual trans. I cannot tell its there. Braking is smooth and the light in the dash tells me when the brakes on the car are applied. Personally I find it was my best option.
njoylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wasn't aware that Blue Ox made a surge brake, but I have been very satisfied with the ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:01 AM   #6

brakes

Readybrute here also works great fiat 500 easy 4 down
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Oh! Sorry it's a ready brute elite ,I have not a ready brake. Sorry for the confusion.
Regards
njoylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoylife View Post
Oh! Sorry it's a ready brute elite ,I have not a ready brake. Sorry for the confusion.
Regards

Actually, you do have a ReadyBrake. It's just built into the towbars!
Old 02-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #9

Bought a Ready Brake

Thank's everyone. I went with the consensus and bought a Ready Brake surge brake. I imagine it's the same brake that is built into their Elite tow bar. The install was easy due to the Zuki's small engine (lots of room). Haven't been able to try it out yet, but soon.

I really like the dash light telling me the brakes are on. Comforting. I'm going to insert a switch in the brake light circuit of the toad to save the battery.

BTW - also got the Ready Brake breakaway system in case everything fails. Don't want to see my toad pass me.
ChasRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasR View Post
Thank's everyone. I went with the consensus and bought a Ready Brake surge brake. I imagine it's the same brake that is built into their Elite tow bar. The install was easy due to the Zuki's small engine (lots of room). Haven't been able to try it out yet, but soon.

I really like the dash light telling me the brakes are on. Comforting. I'm going to insert a switch in the brake light circuit of the toad to save the battery.

BTW - also got the Ready Brake breakaway system in case everything fails. Don't want to see my toad pass me.

One caution on the break-away kit! Be sure you mount the block that locks the cable in a location where you can easily reach it if it gets accidentally pulled! Also, be sure to leave a loop of cable above the brake pedal!

I think you'll be happy with your decision!

Tags
brake