Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Ever priced a used CR-V? Around here they're the same way, but you have a hard time even finding them on the used lots.
I have only found a few used CR-V sitting on a lot, I saw an interesting unit today at Carmax, but there were others folks test driving it at the time...

I like the idea of the CR-V and there is no denying that folks tow them year in and year out, and yet Honda and Remco say no to towing this vehicle.

The CR-V is on my short list...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
My max tow weight is 5,000#, I am trying to keep my tow weight under 4,000#. Jeeps, CR-V meet this criteria.
look on e-bay.... 15K will get you a nice CJ5

mikeybobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Ever priced a used CR-V? Around here they're the same way, but you have a hard time even finding them on the used lots.
There is a reason for this -- they are bullet proof. I have driven Mercedes for the past 25 years and when it came time to get our toad, I did the same seach many others did and came to the conclusion that the Honda Fit or the Honda CR-V were the best choices for us. More debate ensued and finally we settled on the 2012 CR-V EX AWD. We love it. DW drives it in the winter months when we (normally) get a lot of snow in northwestern Pennsylvania. She comes out of Lexus to run the CR-V and she couldn't be happier. For both of us, we simply love the CR-V ("Charlie") behind our Newmar and for use as our toad.

So Mercedes and Lexus owners found love and happiness with Honda!

As with so many other things, this is purely a personal preference thing, but there is a definite reason why you see so many of them as toads and not so many used ones as Mr. D says. They just work.

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 - All Electric / 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit AWD / SMI Air Force One / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybobob View Post
look on e-bay.... 15K will get you a nice CJ5
I have a nice CJ5...a 1974 fully rebuilt from the ground up...I use it behind my F550 4WD and Lance 1120 Camper for hunting/fishing trips into the outback of Utah and Nevada boon docking.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I have a nice CJ5...a 1974 fully rebuilt from the ground up...I use it behind my F550 4WD and Lance 1120 Camper for hunting/fishing trips into the outback of Utah and Nevada boon docking.
sounds like problem solved..... thats what i want as a toad if i ever get to go full timing
mikeybobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Both of our cars can be towed four down. I have a 2013 Ford Edge and my DH has a 2011 Ford Flex. We mostly tow his because he has a lift in the back for his Rascal scooter.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I am towing a 2012 Civic and have not had any problems. I towed a 2002 Civic for ten years and although not approved by Honda for towing, I had no problems.
I see it all of the time, folks towing Honda cars and yet both the factory and REMCO say do not do it. As I continue shopping for our toad, I am somewhat leery of purchasing a car that is not recommended for towing. With that said, I cannot deny the success of hundreds of folks like you who tow Honda cars.[/QUOTE]
You are correct in the fact that Honda does not recommend towing four down.
I would never go against REMCO. They are the Official word in towing. I called them before buying my 2002 and again before buying the 2012. They gave the go ahead on both. I figure that they are in business to sell towing pumps and would make one for Honda's if they needed one. When they say you don't need anything to pull four down, I take their word for it.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #36

Shouldn't the 2012 models be on the "Clearance Rack" soon? And, if you have the money to buy a nice motor home why not buy yourself a nice toad rather then talk yourself into something you won't like just to save a few bucks? To each his own.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
Shouldn't the 2012 models be on the "Clearance Rack" soon? And, if you have the money to buy a nice motor home why not buy yourself a nice toad rather then talk yourself into something you won't like just to save a few bucks? To each his own.
Since we both have great daily drivers that cannot be towed four down our thought was to spend as little as possible for a car that would sit as often as the motor home...
Old 01-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
Forest River Owners Club
I am in the market for a tow vehicle too. I am thinking Honda FIT or Ford Fiesta. Both are small and lightweight with a hatchback. I only need it for sight seeing and shopping trips when I am parked somewhere. Towed a Jeep Wrangler until just a few weeks ago. I hated it! I am just not a Jeep gal. Before going full time, I loved my Caddies. I cannot see paying a Cadillac price for a vehicle to be towed and only driven occasionally.
2012 Coachmen Encounter towing 2010 Honda FIT
Dawn309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
John
Kind of a similar situation with us. We looked at a bunch of older really disappointing Motor Homes before we agreed on one. I had to pay a little more than I wanted to but now I am glad I did. Then we shopped for the TOAD. I wanted to spend as little as possible since we have good cars and probably wouldn't use it for anything else. I was concerned with the weight also. After the research we agreed on a Honda Fit. Up untill 2012 they can be flat towed with AT, and are light enough so I felt I didn't need brakes. We also wanted to get in under the $15K number. We found that they hold value real well. We bought a new 2012 sport model for under $20K. Used ones were $16-18K. My wife drives it all the time now. Saves miles on the Crosstour.
Tom
Tom, I have the exactly same car except mine was a 2010 fit sport automatic with 14kmi when i bought it. light yet feeling not too light on road, plenty of power, about 35mpg on highway. all is good except a little noisy comparing with Prius it serves me well though no complaints.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #40

We bought a well used 2005 CRV as our toad just about a month ago. I fitted it with a Demco base plate, found a used Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar for a song (rebuilt it with new hardware and upgraded steel hitch connector and yoke). These two are compatible together as the Blue Ox hitch points fit perfectly on the Demco base plate. I also installed the Demco lighting harness in the CRV. The owners manual gives specific instructions on how to tow behind a motorhome, so that is permission enough to me.

The CRV was not my first choice in toad but since this was going to be the DW's daily driver we had to make sure it was something she liked. We were also trying to come in under $10k. Long story short, she hated the Wrangler and loved the CRV. I must say, the CRV does ho hum exceptionally well. It is kind of boring but is bullet proof. Oh, and the gas mileage kind of sucks. We love it none the less.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #41

Quote:

I like the idea of the CR-V and there is no denying that folks tow them year in and year out, and yet Honda and Remco say no to towing this vehicle.
Actually, the CR-V owner's manual says that it can be towed four down in both the FWD and AWD versions. It then gives instructions for doing it. That is true at least back to 2010.

The CR-V is also on my short list, along with the Equinox and Terrain.

Sincerely,
Kent Anderson
Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent65

Actually, the CR-V owner's manual says that it can be towed four down in both the FWD and AWD versions. It then gives instructions for doing it. That is true at least back to 2010.

The CR-V is also on my short list, along with the Equinox and Terrain.

Sincerely,
Kent Anderson
FMCA 2013 Towables says both are as well as have past MH Mag Towable supplements.

Going back and forth on Fit and CR-V. I know the fit is popular toad - but have concern about height. A little low and not sure how it will align with Bounder. Like them both really. A little sticker shock on used CR-Vs but my mechanic says they run forever and are very reliable.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad