Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #57

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice looking--

As an 'ole friend told me many years ago "let a little snow fall on it" (the offer)- .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #58

Just remember what JEEP stands for- Just Empty Every Pocket. We bought a 4-year old CJ a few years ago. After about 2 months the problems started. New radiator, new water pump, new heater core, new alternator, new carb, new exhaust, ignition problems. Finally got it fixed long enough to get rid of it, a young man with a desire to own a Jeep bought it.
Our Daughter bought a super clean 2-year old Jeep Liberty. After 2 years of trouble-free ownership the problems started. It has cost her a few thousand to keep it running. The Jeep dealerships are sure glad she likes to keep it running right, they make a lot of money off of her. I'm not sure why she keeps it, other than it is paid for.
After my experience with Jeep, I look at them and like the idea of the wind in my hair and the rock climbing but don't think that I want to spend that much money to do those things.
Hope you find the best tow vehicle for your situation.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana journey View Post
Just remember what JEEP stands for- Just Empty Every Pocket. We bought a 4-year old CJ a few years ago. After about 2 months the problems started. New radiator, new water pump, new heater core, new alternator, new carb, new exhaust, ignition problems. Finally got it fixed long enough to get rid of it, a young man with a desire to own a Jeep bought it. Good Luck,Indiana Journey
You've hit on my biggest concern in buying anything used...buy cheap today, to spend more tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #60

It has to be 4WD (with neutral on the transfer case) and the owners manual in mine (98 2dr soft top) says do not tow with 4 wheels down with auto lock hubs...which mine had...so I put a set of WARN locking hubs on it...i found an owners manual for my year on Ebay...

Manual tranny you put in second gear...auto tranny you put in park.
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
You've hit on my biggest concern in buying anything used...buy cheap today, to spend more tomorrow.
I don't totally agree with that. IMHO it depends on the type of vehicle you buy. A used 4x4 is asking for trouble if it was used a lot off roading. A cadi deville used will most likey be trouble free since usually it's a different clientele using them. Same goes for buying a pocket rocket or a chevy Impala. One type of vehicle is a street demon and the other a mode of transportation. My last three cadi's were bought used as 2 and 3 year olds, and I can honestly say all gave me years of trouble free enjoyment, and all had well over 120,000 when I sold them or gave them to family.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Indiana Journey ,

I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4 door. 107,000 miles on the odometer and probably another 30,000+ miles behind the coach. So far I have replaced the water pump and the front axels (I think from the sand dunes) and am on my second set of tires. I have the oil changes and chassis lube at 3000-5000 miles intervals. Everything still works as good as if it was new. The gas mileage is about 17 city and 22+ on the highway.

The Jeeps really hold the resale value too. The blue book value is from $13,000-19,000 (for my Wrangler 4 door with 107,000 miles)depending on how it would be sold. The Chrysler Jeep dealers dont seem to be able to keep jeeps on the lots too long and if you look at the new car ads in the papers you dont see Jeep Wranglers featured (They sell themselves).

I would guess that with any vehicle you buy that you will always have a lemon, but my experience with my Jeep and with my dealer, has been really positive.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #63

We have a 2012 GMC Terrain fully loaded and tow it all four down with no problem. Just put the key in the ignition, slip the gear into neutral, pull a fuse and lock the doors with the spare key. We had the InVisbreak system installed in our 2005 Sun Voyager which allows adjustment of the break pressure if the breaking is too hard.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
I would guess that with any vehicle you buy that you will always have a lemon, but my experience with my Jeep and with my dealer, has been really positive.
That's good to know, as Jeep is on my short list...well, it is the only vehicle left on my list. I'm thinking that Jeep has won the day because of its versatility...now I have to get over the sticker shock.

The question becomes...new or used. My wife, bless her heart, is committed to the used market...I love brand new equipment. Opposites do attract .

A New/Used Jeep is literally the same cost within a couple thousand dollars of a new Jeep (equally loaded)...Jeep did a complete engineering redesign in 2012 increasing the HP from 205 to 284 amongst other changes.

I'm talking to a dealer about a new 2013 Jeep Sahara, since the young lady with the 2005 won't budge. They want $32,231.00 for the Sahara... seems like a lot to me...my wife says I must be smoking something... to pay that much for a Jeep.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
John - Fritzi (my mini dachshund) and I think a lot like you. My alter ego (since I'm single) thinks like Susan. I bought a new MH which took 6 months of research and the toad took 2 months. the cheap me said buy a hyunai elentra GT hatchback. Great car but i got a lot of grief from friends about that selection. In the end that wasn't me. I'm a bit of a car afficianado. Some see it as transportation but others (like me) see it as an enjoyment machine.

Much was said about the Jeep and its ease and practicality to tow so I wont repeat anything. I test drove all of the Jeepsthat i could and you are right so darn expensive as new. Tried a few used ones to get back to my budget in mind but sacrificed some creature comforts and styling and all of them had some flaw I guess. I dont care about 4 wheeling. I wanted a car I could toodle around in town with and tow easily. the SRX Cadillac I finally settle on (esp the 2013 with all the fun gizmos) charmed me over. The automatic and ease of towing is as easy as the Jeep. And its a cool roomie practical stylin car

I also thought about the MiniClubman but too much money and too small for 3-4 people with luggage . They can be towed 4 down as a manual only. Cool little car though.

I ended up with the Caddy Luxury at about $36K with the rebates and buying through Costco. It had more creature comfort accessories on it than i could ever want. As an aside if you are a Costco member contact the Costco auto plan on line (just google Costco Auto) and sign up. You'll get the Jeep (or other dealer) in your neighborhood contact and the prenegotiated deals. I saved $1000 under invoice (not sticker) on the Caddy plus Corp rebates going on. This is one purchase I'm not looking back on.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #66

Codgerbill,
Glad you haven't had too many problems with your Jeep.
I have several friends that have bought new Jeeps and have had numeruos problems with them. I guess it is just the "Jeep" desire to own one. Like a new gadget on the market, everyone wants one untill they have had one.
Rudy,
I have looked at the Cadillac SUVs and really like them. If I can ever wear out our Saturn Vue, we will be looking at them. The Vue now has 87,000 miles ( plus 45,000 towing) and has been bulletproof so far. Our 2000 Blazer went !65,000 miles ( plus 60,000 towing) before we decided to update with the 2006 Vue. Your Caddy will probably last a long time.
Indiana Journey
Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #67

Our tow vehicle is a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited, it is a great vehicle, and a great toad. The engine change in the 2012 and up Wranglers was a huge upgrade. Also the having the rugged off road abilities of the Wrangler adds greatly to our Rving. Plus having a Jeep Wrangler is just fun.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
We have some RV friends that we meet a couple times each year. They have a 2005 Jeep Rubicon. I think he has about 80,000 miles on it and has not done anything to it except for the routine maintenance. The only nit that I have with it is that it is a 2 door. When we meet, if we all go somewhere together, we take my Jeep (the 4 door). When we go off roading we usually end up in his Jeep, but on ocassion I use mine for off roading too. We love the usable space with the 4 door and with all the snow today the Jeep is soooo much fun to drive.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #69

Went looking for a wrangler, found an 03 Durango 4X4 for $4500. Figure I'll use that extra 10 grand for Diesel. The top doesn't come off, but it'll hold more in back & I can carry a canoe on the roof rack.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #70

Just set up a 2012 Explorer and it is a beautiful toad for 4 down towing. Also a great SUV to travel in when the MH is parked in the winter for several months. Lots of room for the dog and/or people hauling.

Tags
toad