Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #99

Hi GA traveller,
I'm from overseas and am not familiar with four down towing. I'm buying an MH and am now considering a towed. Am I right in thinking that all manuals can be towed 4 down without damage to the transmission?
Thanks, Frankwee

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
I tow a Tracker. Stick the transfer case in neutral, the tranny in park the key in the ignition and away we go. I have towed it for 4 years without a lick of trouble. It drives great and about 28 MPG. When it dies I will look for another one.
I'm from Australia about to embark on a US adventure. Is the Tracker a current model? If not, do you know when they stopped selling it?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #101

Just found this thread as we are looking to get a Jeep for a Toad.

If you can find a leftover 2012, Jeep is offering 0% financing for 36 months on them.

We are ditching one of our everyday drivers, a Yukon XL 2500 that we used to pull the TT. We have a MH on order. We don't have the problem of two daily drivers like you want to keep.

That Yukon is a GAS HOG, 12MPG around town, 7 towing, ouch. I think the JK will be better than that. It actually drives smoother than the Yukon, too. I just wish we were ready to buy now, we'd be snatching up one of the 2012s. We are being tentative, selling the TT first. When it sells, sell the Yukon, then go buy the Jeep. We are afraid to be "camper less" because we have some trips planned.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #102

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwee View Post
I'm from Australia about to embark on a US adventure. Is the Tracker a current model? If not, do you know when they stopped selling it?
No, it is not a model that is currently in production. It was built as joint venture between GM/Suzuki. I believe the last year of production was 1998. Suzuki may have made a model beyond that year.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #103

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi GA traveller,
I'm from overseas and am not familiar with four down towing. I'm buying an MH and am now considering a towed. Am I right in thinking that all manuals can be towed 4 down without damage to the transmission?
Thanks, Frankwee
Not all manuals can be towed four down. Remco is the experts. They can tell you which cars are towable four down. Remco Towing is online.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
No, it is not a model that is currently in production. It was built as joint venture between GM/Suzuki. I believe the last year of production was 1998. Suzuki may have made a model beyond that year.
The Tracker was a GEO from 1989 to 1997, and then badged as a Chevrolet from 1998 and 2004. The Suzuki Sidekick was made from 1990 to 1998 and is essentially the Tracker. All of these are lightweight (2300-2600 lbs.), especially before 2000, and can be towed four down if they have a transfer case. The Suzuki Samurai was made from 1990 to 1995 and is even smaller and lighter (2100 lbs.) than the Tracker and most models can also be towed four down.

Remco's database is incomplete when it comes to Trackers, Sidekicks and Samurais.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #105

Quote:
Hi GA traveller,
Thanks, Frankwee
Frankwee, Remco as always stated that "Any Front Wheel Drive, Manual Transmission 5-Speed vehicle can be flat towed safely behind a Motor Home. ...You are safe to tow a Manual Transmission vehicle behind your RV as long as it is a Front-Wheel Drive with a 5-Speed Manual Transmission." The key here is any front wheel drive manual can be towed 4-down.

A rear wheel drive or AWD vehicle with a manual transmission will likely need modifications, if it can be towed at all. An example, an Audi quattro with a manual can't be towed 4-down even if it has a manual.

-harry
Old 03-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #106

Just FYI..... We just returned to upstate NY from Fla. We were down there for a month. Flat towed the 2012 auto trans. Honda FIT with a tow bar. No brakes. Absolutly no problems. Followed the owners manual when starting the day. No battery discharge. We towed it for 2700 miles and drove it around for a month while there. No power or braking issues with the MH. Also did not add miles to the odometer. Bonus. Light weight and lots on room for 4 adults.
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #107

Frankwee
I show a question in my CP that didn't come up on the thread. Don't know why.
The FIT has one transmission shifter on the floor. It has paddle shifters on the steering wheel, but I don't think that was what you meant. Never seen a CRV with a transfer shifter.
Tom
Old 03-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
Frankwee
I show a question in my CP that didn't come up on the thread. Don't know why.
The FIT has one transmission shifter on the floor. It has paddle shifters on the steering wheel, but I don't think that was what you meant. Never seen a CRV with a transfer shifter.
Tom
Thanks, Tom.I suppose you tow with both shifters in neutral?
Frank
Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #109

Suzuki Toads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
The Tracker was a GEO from 1989 to 1997, and then badged as a Chevrolet from 1998 and 2004. The Suzuki Sidekick was made from 1990 to 1998 and is essentially the Tracker. All of these are lightweight (2300-2600 lbs.), especially before 2000, and can be towed four down if they have a transfer case. The Suzuki Samurai was made from 1990 to 1995 and is even smaller and lighter (2100 lbs.) than the Tracker and most models can also be towed four down.

Remco's database is incomplete when it comes to Trackers, Sidekicks and Samurais.
Thanks, Jack. your reply is quite comprehensive and I thank you.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #110

Quote:
Thanks, Tom.I suppose you tow with both shifters in neutral?
Frank
Only one shifter. This car is front wheel drive with an automatic transmission. There is a procedure involving starting the engine and putting the transmission in drive and reverse for a certain amount of time before towing. Then you put the transmission in neutral with the key off. The key has to be left in because you can't turn it to the lock position while in neutral. Turn the radio off so no battery drain and good to go.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #111

Does the 2012 Ford Focus have an automatic trans? Thinking of trading one of our Vue toads on a 2012 Focus. Mark in Palmer AK
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #112

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by megehrs View Post
Does the 2012 Ford Focus have an automatic trans? Thinking of trading one of our Vue toads on a 2012 Focus. Mark in Palmer AK

Mine does. I have not towed it yet, but I purchased it with towing in mind.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad